House Price Crash Forum

Darling Views On Personal Debt.

Was watching Parliament TV last night. In short Darling defended the amount of personal debt held in Britain and the state of the economy by pointing out that the nation was asset rich. It seems that HPI continues to be Labour's thermometer for economic success in spite of the current climate. Now I'm scared: the muppets running this country seem to be oblivious to the dangers ahead. :(

He does have a point, most of us are asset rich. I personally own my own Ipod, I have copper bottomed designer saucepans, and my car still has paint on it. I think nothing of investing 5.30p on 20 Ciggarettes each day, recently bought a Drimmel from B&Q and do my own dentistry.

We have never had it so good, thank God the public have the good sense to keep Labour in power.

... and do my own dentistry.

What do you mean! My dad used to give us haircuts. Do you take your kids teeth out? Do you do your own fillings? I heard a statistic on the box this morning that said 1 in 5 people (of 5000 surveyed) said they have done their own dental work in the last 6 months. Are they talking about flossing or root canal work?

The mind boggles.

During my life I have had a number of periods of say 5 to 8 years where I haven't gone to a dentist. When, eventually, I do go (because of toothache) I invariably have one filling and I'm free again - with a bollocking ringing in my ears about making sure I visit evey 6 months.

Not fecking likely. If I go every 6 months the thieving barstewards find something to do - at least every other visit.

If Labour have spent 25 shedloads of money on the NHS - how come dentistry isn't free?

Guest Popalot

Thie Darling appointment is all becoming clear now. It is a long time since I have seen such blatant setting up of a fool.......

Brown takes everyone else for a fool, and most of all he feels he can dupe the public, as he basically has contempt for the public (very Stalin). This will be his undoing as he does not realise how transparent he is. Intellectual arrogance mixed with a kind of gauche misanthropy. This is what I really dsilike most about Brown, and Cameron touched on it in his tirade last week.

During my life I have had a number of periods of say 5 to 8 years where I haven't gone to a dentist. When, eventually, I do go (because of toothache) I invariably have one filling and I'm free again - with a bollocking ringing in my ears about making sure I visit evey 6 months.

Not fecking likely. If I go every 6 months the thieving barstewards find something to do - at least every other visit.

Hmph. I'm inclined to agree. I DO go every six months and I've got a very high number of very tiny lumps of mercury in my mouth now.

Thie Darling appointment is all becoming clear now. It is a long time since I have seen such blatant setting up of a fool.......

I've always thought it was strange that there was a big issue about the Deputy Prime Minister job, and yet the Chancellor just seemed to scuttle into the back door of no.11, makes you wonder if nobody wanted the job!

If Labour have spent 25 shedloads of money on the NHS - how come dentistry isn't free?

The money was spent on Doctors (GPs) and nurses pay and pensions. NHS dentisty did not get much , if anything. Although not a Dentist I have an idea about the costs etc in running a surgery. Lets just say that you would be a mentalist to work solely as an NHS dentist. One proceedure requires the use of 'probes' which now canot be sterilised and reused. This proceedure could take 30mins and use 3 probes. Each probe costs £4 and the NHS pay £15 for this proceedure. Any dentist doing this on the NHS is doing so at a loss.

It is amazing that my wife will have no problem paying £50+ for a hair do, but resents paying less than half that for a dental checkup. Considering the Dentist has considerably higher overheads, indemnity insurance etc I think that either the hairdresser charges too much or the Dentist too little.

Edited by mmca22gr
Hmph. I'm inclined to agree. I DO go every six months and I've got a very high number of very tiny lumps of mercury in my mouth now.

A bit off topic, but:

Yep, can agree. My experience is that the number of fillings is directly proportional to the number of trips to the dentist. My ex's father is a dentist and he reckons a lot of unnecessary filling are done. I had a dentist telling me as a teenager that he was going to do some prophylactic filling as I had "deep fissures"! As an adult I cannot believe that he admitted to this...I suppose he thought I was too young to understand that he was doing unnecessary work and my parents had dental insurance which would pay for it all. Nothing wrong with my teeth mind you, but there was the possibility that there might be something wrong in the future! Well, he botched a couple of those fillings, and then the guy who repaired it botched it, then the next woman who did a root canal and cap on what was left botched that, and now I have a third of a tooth. In fact every filling I have had since can be traced back to repairing those teenage "prophylactic fillings".

Similarly, every dentist I've been to in the past 20 years, bar one, has wanted to remove my wisdom teeth. I have had the following conversation many times:

Me: Are they coming through crooked?

Them No

Me: Are they pressing on other teeth?

Them: No

Me: Are they infected?

Me: Do they have caries?

Me: So why do you want to remove them?

Them: Because they might get infected/require filling IN THE FUTURE.

Me: But there is nothing wrong with them now?

Me: Well, if anything does go wrong with them we'll have them seen to...

And they are still there today.

My advice: brush, floss, rinse, get your tartar scraped and don't let on you have dental insurance...they'll always find something to do....most of them just can't help themselves.

My current dentist has a huge house, works part time and still has enough money to go helicopter skiing regularly.

So true, when I first became aware that every time I went to the dentist they gave me a filling I decided to do a little experiment and wait 16 years before going again, sure enough - one filling. I won't be falling for that again.

Somebody should tell him (reportedly) house price inflation in Zimbabwe 0f 110,000% means houses there cost billions of Zimbabwean dollars, sowho gives a toss about rampant inflation and unemplyment : yeah, that's right, let the model be asset rich Zimbabwe! ( :blink: )

It is amazing that my wife will have no problem paying £50+ for a hair do, but resents paying less than half that for a dental checkup. Considering the Dentist has considerably higher overheads, indemnity insurance etc I think that either the hairdresser charges too much or the Dentist too little.

I've never had a problem with hair cuts, though I've definitely not paid £50 - in fact, my most expensive hair cut to date was on 18% of that price. :-)

I didn't go to dentists because the experience was always unpleasant... my experiences included failed appointments systems; rough work and wildly unpredictable prices. In April this year, with toothache, I decided to take the bull by the horns and put pay to not having visited a dentist in 12 years. I had several fillings spread over 5 visits... at every stage I felt I knew what was going to happen to me next and was pleasantly surprised at how neatly the appointments system worked. The total bill (while massively dwarfing anything anyone would spend on haircuts) was still around half what I expected...

I had a great mistrust of dentists (one which I don't think was entirely misplaced) but I'm very pleased I found a good one. ( Yes, it was private. :-S )

Guest pioneer31

Brown takes everyone else for a fool, and most of all he feels he can dupe the public, as he basically has contempt for the public (very Stalin). This will be his undoing as he does not realise how transparent he is. Intellectual arrogance mixed with a kind of gauche misanthropy. This is what I really dsilike most about Brown, and Cameron touched on it in his tirade last week.

There is something about Brown that doesn't rest easy with me either. That stupid 200 piece of tripe he wrote (How to get free money from the State), speaks volumes. Does he get his kicks from seemingly 'getting one over, on society?'

He has the same mentality as a youth who smashes up bus shelters.

Edited by pioneer31

Asset rich? Which assets?

- Overpriced houses that people don't actually own?

- Manufacturing?

I give up. Someone should have asked that muppet to name 3 assets and now we could be all laughing even harder. :angry:

He probably said it because he heard master Gordon saying it

Sadly I have to agree. Watching the Chancellor yesterday I couldn't make up my mind if the man was: totally naive to the realities of the situation; in a state of denial; or under pressure to deliver a party line from Gordo. Probably a mixture of all three According to Darling it seems HPI is the economy. Ostriches, heads and sand spring to mind.