House Price Crash Forum
CrashedOutAndBurned

Rising Sea Levels Caused By Fat Bathers

The public health threat posed by obesity in the UK is a "potential crisis on the scale of climate change", the health secretary has warned.

Alan Johnson said the magnitude of the problem was becoming clear for the first time and "it is in everybody's interest to turn things round".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7043639.stm

Well if they had accurate CPI figures, and paid people wages that kept up with inflation there would be some chance of affording decent food rather than cheap Mc Calories. Also thanks to the house price boom too many people are working too long hours putting their health at risk.

This bunch of nob heads running the country have no right to lecture anyone. They created much of this mess, just wait until the downturn gets going.

"Turn things round." That's the problem, isn't it?

I don't like fat people. They are stupid, lazy and take up too much space.

Come on then fatso, catch me if you can...

Love the title.

We eat fewer calories now on average than after the war. The problem is two fold...

1. We are not moving enough (HPC website major cause of obesity in grumpy old men and wannabies).

Is that true? I looked at a typical war time ration a few weeks back on the telly. I thought what was wrong with that? Until they said that was the ration for an entire week. :unsure:

Yes, and even only a couple of generations ago people's diets were still made up of home cooked meals with proper ingredients, not TV dinners and sucrose-laden processed slop. Humans evolved over millions of years eating locally grown simple wholefoods. Now much of our diet is full of chemical slop that's only been there a few decades at most and more junk is being added all the time.

A few hundred years ago it was a major criminal offence to add refined sugar to beer or bread - 'food adultaration' it was called and could be severely punished.

Thank god we live in more enlightened times now. Make mine a Big Mac.

Guest AuntJess
Is that true? I looked at a typical war time ration a few weeks back on the telly. I thought what was wrong with that? Until they said that was the ration for an entire week. :unsure:

Yep. My hubby did not taste a banana till he was nine!!and peaches were like gold dust too.

Well if they had accurate CPI figures, and paid people wages that kept up with inflation there would be some chance of affording decent food rather than cheap Mc Calories. Also thanks to the house price boom too many people are working too long hours putting their health at risk.

This bunch of nob heads running the country have no right to lecture anyone. They created much of this mess, just wait until the downturn gets going.

The problem with that particular blame-game is that it's much cheaper to cook healthy food from fresh ingredients than to subsist off over-processed junk. The problem is the laziness, idleness and apathy of the want-it-all-want-it-now (as in, I want to eat all the pies right now) generation.

I'm not a religious man, but the old ideas of the Protestant work ethic, of deferred gratification and the value of self-improvement (instead of self-ruination) made a lot of sense ... alas, those values are mostly gone from Britain now.

Guest Shedfish
The challenge is ... about how we design our local communities...

don't they spout some sh!t - it's like they wrote everyone's name on a rizla and dropped them from a helicopter. design my ar5e

They could give every family an allottment to grow their own healthy food and get some exercise every week too.

Oh no hang on they've built on most of them.

This is of course, pure hypocrisy from this bunch of patronising leftist intelligentsia. If they put their money where their mouths were, they would be forcing food manufacturers to remove such ingredients from all manner of foods. "Hidden sugar" used to be an issue that was given some attention, now it seems to have been forgotten about. Meanwhile the government is lecturing us on everything from exercise to smoking. A list of sugars that are added to everything from pesto sauce to baked beans (whilst the label claims that the product is a "healthy option"):

- pesto sauce (most brands contain glucose syrup)

- Heinz baked beans (glucose syrup)

- Crunchy nut cornflakes (glucose fructose syrup)

Various brands of pickle, sauce, ketchup etc. In fact, many savoury products contain more sugar (in various forms) than icecream.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_...icle1615542.ece

So, if the government was serious about diabetes control and obesity, it would do something to educate the public properly. It would ban the advertising of sugar laden products on TV, in cinemas, hoardings etc.

I was in the cinema a few weeks ago and on the entrance to the screen-room there was a poster about diabetes awareness and a scaremongering title about if you are a few inches overweight you may have diabetes. I then sat down and watched the adverts. The second advert was for ben and jerrys icecream. This is the classic case of the lone quiet voice having to compete against the big loud bullies in advertising and monopoly of the airwaves and other forms of media.

I believe it's too late now and it's probably in the interests of many (mainly pharmaceuticals and biotech companies) to keep quiet about dietary health abuse as it's not in the interests of their shareholders. The market for anti-diabetic treatments is potentially huge.

So, if the government was serious about diabetes control and obesity, it would do something to educate the public properly. It would ban the advertising of sugar laden products on TV, in cinemas, hoardings etc.

And fruit and veg have been bred to be sweeter.

Rising house density rules enforced from central government ensure that people have limited sized gardens and are not able to produce thier own cheap food.

The cheaper food in supermarkets tends to be made up of the crap left over (jet blasted off bones, extracted from the rind/peelings/skins of fruits etc etc) to which all manner of additives, preservatives, binders, sugars, salt need to be added to make them palatable.

All the choice food and natural products are premium price.

If anyone is killing anybody weigth wise/financially then the government are the first port of call.

All the choice food and natural products are premium price.

Vine ripened tomatoes are an excellent example.

Those unripe or chemically ripened fruits are just not the same.

But we're used to eating things out of season

Rationing. There's another government con. They have always been at it. These islands were self sufficient in food throughout WW2 and there was never any need for it.