House Price Crash Forum
OnlyMe

Eu Treaty Could Spell The End Of Overtime

Not good for those kitchen-sink mortgage multiples where every last penny of income (and more) is counted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...overtime113.xml

EU treaty could spell the end of overtime

By Toby Helm and Bruno Waterfield

Last Updated: 1:30am BST 13/10/2007

British workers could lose their right to work more than 48 hours a week and have to forfeit lucrative overtime because of the EU Reform Treaty which Gordon Brown is due to sign next week.

# Join our campaign for a referendum on the EU treaty

In a report on the treaty —which is expected to be agreed by Mr Brown and 26 other European heads of state in Lisbon on Friday — a parliamentary committee says it is "quite possible" that the UK's special deal on working hours could be successfully challenged in the European Court of Justice.

Not good for those kitchen-sink mortgage multiples where every last penny of income (and more) is counted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...overtime113.xml

EU treaty could spell the end of overtime

By Toby Helm and Bruno Waterfield

Last Updated: 1:30am BST 13/10/2007

British workers could lose their right to work more than 48 hours a week and have to forfeit lucrative overtime because of the EU Reform Treaty which Gordon Brown is due to sign next week.

# Join our campaign for a referendum on the EU treaty

In a report on the treaty —which is expected to be agreed by Mr Brown and 26 other European heads of state in Lisbon on Friday — a parliamentary committee says it is "quite possible" that the UK's special deal on working hours could be successfully challenged in the European Court of Justice.

Fascists.

Next they'll be telling me I can't watch more than 2 hours TV a day or eat more than 5 chocolate bars a week.

How many hours I choose to work is none of their damn business.

Not sure if this report includes Self Employed. If it doesn't, then I think this working hours restriction may have a beneficial knock on effect inasmuch as it might make people think about setting up their own businesses, using their own initiatives and ideas.

hmmm .... few people I know get paid the extra for overtime.

Is it not mostly civil service that get that perk these days?

Less overtime = more paid staff. Sounds good unless you are an employer - but then you would have bitched about sick pay and holidays - which under the same eu rules are going from 20 to 24 this year and up to 28 in 2009 iirc.

All sounds good to me.

No necessarily a bad thing. I'd be quite happy to forfeit my right to work 30+ hours unpaid overtime.

Perhaps employers might have to start paying decent wages to those who depend on overtime (well I can dream).

Imagine if all the overtime that is worked at the moment all of a sudden stops. Millions of working hours lost a year, manufacturing would be destroyed once and for all.

I'm not lazy, so I don't mind doing the odd bit of overtime to help my employer, even though after tax I hardly see the difference in my net pay!!

Less overtime = more paid staff. Sounds good unless you are an employer - but then you would have bitched about sick pay and holidays - which under the same eu rules are going from 20 to 24 this year and up to 28 in 2009 iirc.

All sounds good to me.

Err - no.

And as for the civil service, ha! They have never heard of overtime.

They are overpaid and underworked IMO.

Imagine if all the overtime that is worked at the moment all of a sudden stops. Millions of working hours lost a year, manufacturing would be destroyed once and for all.

It wouldn't stop, one just wouldn't get paid for it.

millions of lost hours- we've destroyed the unions and replaced them with the EU

Nice one Gordon!

now Frack off!

All sounds good to me.

As you say good for everybody who doesnt need to work for a living which is increasing and also good for those that work for the government local councils or charities where it really doesnt matter at all.

I am in the position of employing people in a manufacturing roll. I know, I know, it seems totally stupid in the current environment where all this work should be carried out abroad and I will be "offshoring" this work ASAP as well as a lot of the other work that really isnt necessary to be done in the UK. I can get my total workforce down to a handful but I still need this handful for point of sale, uk distribution, and where it is neccesary for customer contact.

In the short term I need to increase UK production! until I can offshore with required quality levels. I will be doing this by employing immigrant labour on a temporary basis where I can drop cost down to around minimum wage whilst getting high quality levels of labour. It may be an option and neccessary for me to get rid of all my labour (exept for one key guy who I can employee direct) and employee them through an agency.

Agencies is the future for most employment requirements especially for jobs such as those IT, warehouse, point of sale, etc etc that for one reason or another can not be outsourced. There is absolutely no reason staff such as doctors and nursing staff can not be used via these agencies. The other advantage is these agencies could be registered abroad and use foreign labour and thus foreign labour rates which would make it much more benificial.

I dont really know in the longer term where the likes of myself will end up. Will we find another country that will allow us to work and possibly run businesses so we have some kind of livelyhood? and if so where? Or do we enter the growing world of benifits? This option of going onto benifits is not as bad as many of us think, it is fairly lucrative with housing and all the other associated high costs paid for as well as every other conceivable needs we may have including raising a family. With child poverty to be illiminated and child supports available it really is a better option and will become an even better option in the near future.

Some people will feel they want to work but there will be enough work for these people especially in the public sector in social services etc where their money could be made up to the same as if they were on benifits proper.

To create the wealth to be able to sustain this may not be difficult as it seems to be working at the moment. Possibly another credit boom where a further borrowing period could be arranged. Remember if interest rates are lowered to .000000000001% or why not 0%? then borrowing could continue indefinately and nominal payment can be made from extra benifits.

We are entering a very strange world.

I'm not lazy, so I don't mind doing the odd bit of overtime to help my employer, even though after tax I hardly see the difference in my net pay!!

exactly.

Overtime is OK.I don't even get paid time*1.5 for mine(I'm self-employed).my bonus is a further contract should I do a good job,no guarantee.

hard graft to get a job done should be rewarded fairly.

exactly.

Overtime is OK.I don't even get paid time*1.5 for mine(I'm self-employed).my bonus is a further contract should I do a good job,no guarantee.

hard graft to get a job done should be rewarded fairly.

Agree, the more unpaid overtime you do, the more you dilute your overall salary, fine if you are paid a decent wage to begin with, or working extra unpaid hours guarantees you a worthwhile increase in the future.

EU Nazis at it again. The law will, of course, be unenforceable for small businesses. Yet another reason for the collectivist EU-intelligentsia to attack free enterprise. How the hell is Britain supposed to compete with the likes of India and China in our new found "knowledge based economy" when employers are forced to prevent people from putting the hours in when required?

Edited by BarrelShifter