House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Garry AKA Pod

Fireworks. What Is The Flecking Point?

The chavs are setting the bangers off.

I can appreciate rockets and catherine wheels, but what is the point of bangers? It's dynamite for flecks sake.

Yours,

Scrooge

P.s What the fleck does fleck mean?

I can appreciate rockets and catherine wheels, but what is the point of bangers? It's dynamite for flecks sake.

Yours,

Scrooge

The point is they make loud bangs.

Don't start complaing the government will want to ban them!

Bah humbug!

Yours,

Scrooge

I made my own bangers once.

Yes, pointless.

That stuff is bad for you. Video games, pot, air rifles or guns, fast cars, dog fighting, fireworks ....you know, all pointless but entertaining. Usually end badly, arrest, injury, death or karma.

fireworks are cool!!

ok a complete waste of money but they look pretty.

don't the chavs round your area improvise and use stolen cars??....ours do!!

Bangers are banned. For about four years now.

Tell that to the Chinese!

Chavs throwing bangers in peoples' gardens is not cool!

Taking away your liberty to buy fireworks is yet another removal of an age old freedom. Where does it all end?

I've no problem with restricting fireworks to adults but a blanket ban is sheer lunacy.

SC,

No one's talking about doing that are they?

Plus, I've just purchased a load for Nov from Sainsbury's, yippeeee! ;)

Sorry I thought somebody had said "bangers" were banned?

If they aren't great!

There were moves afoot at one stage to make it a requirement to have a license to purchase fireworks effectively restricitng them to "professionals" - I'd thought they'd given up on it but I wouldn't be suprised if they tried it again. Killjoys.

When I say 'bangers' I mean the single bang things in packs of ten or so that are about the thickness of a pencil. Mini rockets are also banned. But you can still buy massive fireworks that make a hell of a lot of noise. The government policy (reasonably sensible in my view) has been to ban 'pocket money fireworks'. Mortars (balls in tubes) are also banned for non-professionals, but only because a headmaster blew his head off by peering down the tube after he had lit one. Chinese crackers (those ones Mexicans love) are also illegal, but they are very unpredictable and dangerous, so that's fair enough. Nearly all firework accidents are caused by sparklers, but it's unlikely that they'll be banned.

(PS - I often take time off work to run fireworks shops in the season - nice bit of cash before Christmas.)

When I say 'bangers' I mean the single bang things in packs of ten or so that are about the thickness of a pencil. Mini rockets are also banned. But you can still buy massive fireworks that make a hell of a lot of noise. The government policy (reasonably sensible in my view) has been to ban 'pocket money fireworks'. Mortars (balls in tubes) are also banned for non-professionals, but only because a headmaster blew his head off by peering down the tube after he had lit one. Chinese crackers (those ones Mexicans love) are also illegal, but they are very unpredictable and dangerous, so that's fair enough. Nearly all firework accidents are caused by sparklers, but it's unlikely that they'll be banned.

(PS - I often take time off work to run fireworks shops in the season - nice bit of cash before Christmas.)

SO basically no fireworks for poor people? This nanny state attitude really pi$$es me off. Correct me if I'm wrong but bangers were already banned to children so pocket money prices have nothing to do with it. if they'd bothered to get off their arses and enforce the existing law this wouldn't have been an issue.

Frankly the headmaster who killed himself was asking for it... probably deserves a Darwin award.

As you say sparklers are the really dangerous ones - battery operated wands are a far safer alternative.

Solvent Celt - you've been a kid, and I'm sure you managed to get hold of fags, booze or fireworks if you wanted them. There's always an idiotic 18 year old who hangs around with younger kids and goes into shops for them. Bearing this in mind, it's quite sensible to ban 'pocket money' fireworks, because they are, and always have been, nothing but tools of mischief. Would you now invite friends round and throw bangers around your garden? No, you'd buy a few big buggers and make a show of it. Nanny state doesn't come into it. (Having read many of your posts, I'm largely in agreement with you about these things).

Funnily enough, it's the 'poor people' who are always the best customers in fireworks shops. Blokes you wouldn't expect to have two pennies to rub together would come in with £200 cash and really pick and choose to put on a good show for their kids. The middle class parents would be the ones buying ten quid boxes, despite the squeaking complaints from their children. Perhaps that attitude to money is why they're 'middle class' in the first place . . .

And yes, the headmaster was classic Darwin Award material. In fact most non-sparkler injuries also qualify. Remember that squaddy who shoved a rocket up his bum and was surprised to end up in intensive care? Even that was jumped on by the anti-fireworks lobby. That's why I love Guy Fawkes night - it's a little bit of anarchy and danger in our over-regulated society. We need it, and, on top of that, it's the only purely English celebration we have left.

Make the most of it while you can.

battery operated wands are a far safer alternative.

And folk simpky shouting bang, is a far safer alternative to bangers.

they are always good for a giggle when some muppet tries to fire a roman candle from his @sre and ends up not being able to crap for a month :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

one does have to chuckle at such stupidity!

fireworks are cool!!

ok a complete waste of money but they look pretty.

don't the chavs round your area improvise and use stolen cars??....ours do!!

Haha! Don't be so fekin stupid...you clever barstardo. Post back here when you've had a firework posted through your letterbox....Can't wait...

SO basically no fireworks for poor people? This nanny state attitude really pi$$es me off. Correct me if I'm wrong but bangers were already banned to children so pocket money prices have nothing to do with it. if they'd bothered to get off their arses and enforce the existing law this wouldn't have been an issue.

Frankly the headmaster who killed himself was asking for it... probably deserves a Darwin award.

As you say sparklers are the really dangerous ones - battery operated wands are a far safer alternative.

"Frankly the headmaster who killed himself was asking for it."

What a complete knob you are......thank Christ that headmaster wasn't related to you in some way. If there is a God, then Solvent, I will laugh out loud when you have some kind of mishap playing with your sparkler....you *****. Solvent, I'll be watching your posts with added interest from now on....

What a complete knob you are......thank Christ that headmaster wasn't related to you in some way. If there is a God, then Solvent, I will laugh out loud when you have some kind of mishap playing with your sparkler....you *****. Solvent, I'll be watching your posts with added interest from now on....

There's something a little sinister about that :unsure: Looks like you gon dun gotchasef a stalker boy!

PS The Dude - How will you know if he ever has a mishap playing with his sparkler? :blink:

Yeah it's tragic but come on - looking down the barrel of a lit mortar tube. Doesn't that strike you as kinda inviting trouble? The guy was a headmaster so you'd assume a modicum of intelligence.

For the sake of clarity and in the unlikely event of a member of his family reading this thread I unconditionaly apologise for any offence caused by my crass and insensitive reference to the untimely demise of your loved one.

Do you reckon they found the head?

And folk simpky shouting bang, is a far safer alternative to bangers.

Yes it is but adults take their chances.

Having a gang of excited kids in close proximity waving red hot welding sticks around like loons doesn't strike me as entirely sensible tbh.