House Price Crash Forum
thecrashingisles

Richard Branson In Talks To Buy Northern Crock

I hope he dosnt pay more than £1 for it.

He'll need some cash left over to pay back the BOE.

As if thats ever going to get paid back :lol:

ST

Virgin Finance is still giving massive cash advances (was offered £ 10000 the other week) at 0% on their credit cards so I don`t think financial prudence one of their top priorities...

Guest Bart of Darkness
LOL. I thought I was joking when I said 'Virgin Money' but apparently that's how it will be branded! :lol::lol:

The Northern Rock brand itself must surely be so tainted that a major rebranding is essential. But just changing the name of the existing business won't convince enough people. A takeover might at least convey the idea of a "new broom" etc.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

The Northern Rock brand itself must surely be so tainted that a major rebranding is essential. But just changing the name of the existing business won't convince enough people. A takeover might at least convey the idea of a "new broom" etc.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Although I feel sorry for the people employed there who will lose their jobs, most of whom have no responsibility for the disaster I have to keep asking the question why do we need Northern Rock? It is only another building society. Just move the mortgage book and shut it!

Front page of Today's Telegraph Business section reports that a senior member of management for NorthernRock, the person responsible for the bank's treasury, is on the sick, and has been for the past two weeks due to stress!

I wonder what is worrying him?

Front page of Today's Telegraph Business section reports that a senior member of management for NorthernRock, the person responsible for the bank's treasury, is on the sick, and has been for the past two weeks due to stress!

I wonder what is worrying him?

The value of his share options.

Remember Branson is good at getting cheap publicity. As a shrewd businessman he wouldn't touch Northern Wreck with a barge pole. Why not just create Virgin Money and sells mortgages direct via the web?

I'm 99% certain this is a publicity exercise just as he has done before and then pulled out at the eleventh hour.

Remember Branson is good at getting cheap publicity. As a shrewd businessman he wouldn't touch Northern Wreck with a barge pole. Why not just create Virgin Money and sells mortgages direct via the web?

I'm 99% certain this is a publicity exercise just as he has done before and then pulled out at the eleventh hour.

Virgin Money already exists

Guest grumpy-old-man
I heard they were going to call it Northern Virgin but couldn't find any in Newcastle.

:D:D

couple of these for that humour.

Whilst walking past a television shop this afternoon the SKY Breaking News - Richard Branson interested in Northern Rock ticker caught my eye.

Couldn't hear what was being said but undoubtedly Branson looked in a right pickle when he was quizzed by the SKY News business correspondent. He was twitching very nervously like he wasn't at all sure he was getting into something good. Admittedly he does come across rather awkward in most interviews, rather unusual in a person that seeks so much publicity - he doesn't wear it well.

The piece finished with a clip of him dangling buy a rope in a wardrobe misfunction publicity bungee drop - somehow I just know this is going to be used in the near future by Have I Got News For You - in Northern Rock gallows humour.

Edited by Walton Goggins