House Price Crash Forum

Exodus Day

nmarks

HOLA441

There must be a great many people in this country that for various reasons - the property market chiefly among them - wish to emigrate and never return. This website does a great job of raising awareness of the property market but apart from the odd media appearance our action doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

How about we coordinate, through a new website, an Exodus Day (week or month, whichever you prefer). Exodus Day would be a fixed time in the future, say a year, when all the disaffected people of the country leave for foreign shores at the same time. It could become an annual event, with everyone leaving the country for reasons of disaffection registering their reasons why so the numbers can be seen and the mood of the people understood.

I don't believe this has ever been done before in the history of Britain. Exodus Day would be a shock to the system, the biggest two fingers possible to those that have self-servingly polarised British society.

What say ye?

At work, this Italian guy is sat right next to me. He's been here in the UK seven years and, yep, owns his own house north of London and done very nicely thankyou. He already has atleast one BTL and an hour ago had the affrontery to pick up the phone and speak to an EA about buying another, holding the conversation in front of a number of colleagues who will never be able to buy their own home in their country of birth. When I asked "Not got enough properties already, eh?" he simply laughed it off without a care in the world.

So much for the saying "When in Rome".

So, Exodus Day. How about it?

HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest Shedfish

since i'm coming to the end of an underfunded and life-consuming project where by friday several sites go live partially untested (one of them completely blind), saturday morning would be fine for me.

seriously, it is a good idea... or at least a high visibility one - like the Geldoff / yachts one (somewhat obscured by 7/7 IIRC). don't ask me to build the website though. had my fill of websites

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Skint Academic

I like the idea although there are a few practical problems that need sorting out.

The one that strikes me is when how you register having emigrated. Most people will not like the idea of formally burning their bridges until they are sure it will work for them abroad. They may pretend to still be a resident in this country, but say living with relatives, so that they can easily return home and make use of a GP or dentist if need be (if you can as a native, I can't) or if it doesn't work for them abroad and they want to return home and not having to admit to being away for more than 6 months at a time.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Don't mean to p#ss on your fireworks but,

1/ Mr.Darling has beaten you to it, in the pre-budget speech, he is going to make it even more expensive to escape the fine island!...

"• Airlines and their passengers: Mr Darling announced that instead of air passenger duty payable by each passenger, he would switch to different tax on flights that would bring in £500 million a year more. The costs are likely to be handed on to passengers."

2/ Surely by emmigrating you then fall in to your italian friends shoes? When in Rome?

:blink:

HOLA448
Don't mean to p#ss on your fireworks but,

1/ Mr.Darling has beaten you to it, in the pre-budget speech, he is going to make it even more expensive to escape the fine island!...

"• Airlines and their passengers: Mr Darling announced that instead of air passenger duty payable by each passenger, he would switch to different tax on flights that would bring in £500 million a year more. The costs are likely to be handed on to passengers."

2/ Surely by emmigrating you then fall in to your italian friends shoes? When in Rome?

:blink:

There weren't any fireworks to piss on, so feelings mutual. If the thought of paying slightly more on the price of an airline ticket to escape the country would make the difference to your decision to leave you must have a very hard life. Sure, having to pay it is the final insult, but that's the point - it's the final insult.

You can be sure that when most people emigrate they want to leave for a more fulfliing life - building up property empires to offend the locals isn't usually top priority. As you say . . . when in Rome.

Ciao.

HOLA449
since i'm coming to the end of an underfunded and life-consuming project where by friday several sites go live partially untested (one of them completely blind), saturday morning would be fine for me.

LOL.

Actually Exodus day seems quite a compelling idea, better than just slinking off into the distance.

HOLA4410
There weren't any fireworks to piss on, so feelings mutual. If the thought of paying slightly more on the price of an airline ticket to escape the country would make the difference to your decision to leave you must have a very hard life. Sure, having to pay it is the final insult, but that's the point - it's the final insult.

You can be sure that when most people emigrate they want to leave for a more fulfliing life - building up property empires to offend the locals isn't usually top priority. As you say . . . when in Rome.

Ciao.

Wasn't directing the fireworks comment directly at you, I've got a funny feeling the price of an airline ticket will be quite a bit more in the future (but the comment was intended as a joke?)

I haven't really got a hard life as such, it's quarter to three in the morning where I am and pitch black...i'VE ALREADY EMMIGRATED! :lol:

Totally agree with your original post. ;)

HOLA4411

Stop! No need to leave Little Britain as Gordon has announced new measures that will make Britain, once again, the land of opportunity for the young, the professionals and those willing to work hard to get ahead:

http://www.politics.co.uk/News/opinion-for...#036;478824.htm

PM vows to stand up for British talent
Monday, 24 Sep 2007 15:50
Gordon Brown today promised to reposition Labour as the party of
aspiration and opportunity

The two keywords: aspiration and opportunity!

As for me, I am about to return to the UK after 3 weeks in the US and, TBH, I am not looking forward to it. It has been very uplifting to be in the US again where people are not pessimistic all of the time, where courtesy is the norm and where you can buy a house without becoming a debt slave. I have planned another trip back next year and will be looking into getting a transfer back permanently. My Dad left the UK in 1963 for the US because he felt that the government, or system, did not allow for aspiration and opportunity. I have realised that nothing has changed and it never will despite Brown's BS.

HOLA4412
Guest tbatst2000
So, Exodus Day. How about it?

So, you want to leave the UK because there's going to be more foreigners than native born Brits here any time soon? And you're planning to go somewhere where there's, er, fewer non-Brits as a proportion of the population? Mind telling me where that might be?

Alternatively, yes, go on, off you go, don't forget to send a postcard.

HOLA4413
Guest tbatst2000
I'm more for "Machete the BTL" Day

No, that's too quick and painless. Let's round them up, put them in concentration camps and then use them for medical experiments.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
No, that's too quick and painless. Let's round them up, put them in concentration camps and then use them for medical experiments.

I'm saving that for the bankers.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
How about we coordinate, through a new website, an Exodus Day (week or month, whichever you prefer). Exodus Day would be a fixed time in the future, say a year, when all the disaffected people of the country leave for foreign shores at the same time. It could become an annual event, with everyone leaving the country for reasons of disaffection registering their reasons why so the numbers can be seen and the mood of the people understood.

Exodus Day is a great idea but if everyone left on the same day then the government will simply spin the new figures to prove that "daily emmigration volumes from the UK for 2008 were lower than their 2007 equivalents for single day except one, proving Gordon's miracle economy is so good noone wants to leave."

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
You'll never take me alive mother-f*cker!

Your MBS papier mache armour will not protect your overpriced suit from the mighty wrath of Khmer Britannia!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Wasn't directing the fireworks comment directly at you, I've got a funny feeling the price of an airline ticket will be quite a bit more in the future (but the comment was intended as a joke?)

I haven't really got a hard life as such, it's quarter to three in the morning where I am and pitch black...i'VE ALREADY EMMIGRATED! :lol:

Totally agree with your original post. ;)

Just out of interest if your life is so good over there, why are you up at three in the morning replying to posts about a subject that should have no relevance to you now? Hmmmm . . . . . . ;)

Edited by nmarks

HOLA4422
Exodus Day is a great idea but if everyone left on the same day then the government will simply spin the new figures to prove that "daily emmigration volumes from the UK for 2008 were lower than their 2007 equivalents for single day except one, proving Gordon's miracle economy is so good noone wants to leave."

Doubtless they would try to spin matters but you're forgetting the power of word of mouth. If an Exodus Day was well organised, most people would know someone leaving - sentiment would build up among the population irrespective of what the govt did.

Edited by nmarks

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
As for me, I am about to return to the UK after 3 weeks in the US and, TBH, I am not looking forward to it. It has been very uplifting to be in the US again where people are not pessimistic all of the time, where courtesy is the norm and where you can buy a house without becoming a debt slave. I have planned another trip back next year and will be looking into getting a transfer back permanently. My Dad left the UK in 1963 for the US because he felt that the government, or system, did not allow for aspiration and opportunity. I have realised that nothing has changed and it never will despite Brown's BS.

Hmm rather a 'blinkered' bear statement there!

After seeing the aftermath of Orleans and how USA treats the underclasses - there must be huge seething resentment building up. And they are just around the corner - wherever you live, armed to the teeth.

And now they've been ripped-off further by the banks again with dodgy mortgage lending - the last straw?

HOLA4425
We'd need to charter every aeroplane we could lay our hands on and requisition every airstrip in the land.

Sort of like an airbourne Dunkirk, but in reverse. :lol:

You could rename England "Airstrip One"

Oh, hang on a minute.....