House Price Crash Forum

Saving Royal Mail

Lord D'arcy Pew

HOLA441
HOLA442

LOL....VERY FUNNY!

I think the reasons behind the strike are justified and I can't understand why the Postal Service wants to try and destroy the best mail service in the World.

Posties at the moment only have to work there round, if they can finish that round early then they can go back to the office for overtime or simply clock off and go home. The Post Office is trying to stop this and make them work there full hours...surely this can only result in slower posties. A posties has to work 37.5 hours a week, he knows if he goes like hell he can have his round done in 6 hours....but on doing so he'll have another 1.5 hours to fill back at the office. What does he do.....he'll go slow surely.

HOLA443
LOL....VERY FUNNY!

I think the reasons behind the strike are justified and I can't understand why the Postal Service wants to try and destroy the best mail service in the World.

Posties at the moment only have to work there round, if they can finish that round early then they can go back to the office for overtime or simply clock off and go home. The Post Office is trying to stop this and make them work there full hours...surely this can only result in slower posties. A posties has to work 37.5 hours a week, he knows if he goes like hell he can have his round done in 6 hours....but on doing so he'll have another 1.5 hours to fill back at the office. What does he do.....he'll go slow surely.

Hmm i would like to see a performance related postal service, posties get paid more for quantity of addresses and the quality of the service. Surveys could be posted to addresses for the customer to assess performance, if the postal service doesn't meet the quality they don't get bonuses. IMHO thats what the royal mail is kindof doing, modernization, and thats what posties are resisting because they would have to work harder and the layabouts would be noticed and wouldnt be paid as much..

Exactly the same as the fire service, who get paid for sitting/sleeping.

HOLA444
Guest wrongmove

Are you suggesting they get paid by the fire?

That could have some unwanted side-effects........

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Hmm i would like to see a performance related postal service, posties get paid more for quantity of addresses and the quality of the service. Surveys could be posted to addresses for the customer to assess performance, if the postal service doesn't meet the quality they don't get bonuses. IMHO thats what the royal mail is kindof doing, modernization, and thats what posties are resisting because they would have to work harder and the layabouts would be noticed and wouldnt be paid as much..

Well this is the problem with today, as the cost of imprementing such a scheme means that any money saved goes on the extra cost of managing and monitoring performance. You then end up with lots of managers and not enough workers....

HOLA448
Posties at the moment only have to work there round, if they can finish that round early then they can go back to the office for overtime or simply clock off and go home.

:blink:

I'm not suprised AC and Co want to get rid of such practices. Not only do I not get to finish my work everyday, which is the nature of my work, even if I did, I would simply complete additional tasks. There is always something to do but I would not expect to be paid over-time to do so. If one is contracted to work x hours then what is the problem with actually working them? My neighbour is a full-time RM van driver and regularly within 7 hours of leaving for work, he is home, if he is not doing O/T. :lol:

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Archived