House Price Crash Forum

Jobs Again

OnlyMe

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7035059.stm

Factory sale will cost 600 jobs

More than 600 jobs are to go on Tyneside, with the closure of an American-owned microchip plant.

Duff entry - cheers MarkD

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/5255814.stm

Jobs risk for 500 insurance staff

Hundreds of insurance workers have been told their jobs are at risk.

Zurich Financial Services has announced proposals to close its office in Fenkle Street, Newcastle, which employs about 500 people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...amp;ito=newsnow

BBC set to slash 2,800 jobs in huge cost-cutting programme

Last updated at 09:11am on 9th October 2007

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Sainsbury's says immigrants have 'better work ethic' than Britons

By JAMES SLACK - More by this author » Last updated at 23:46pm on 8th October 2007

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/westb...uncertainty.php

WORKERS at a rubber plant in Westbury are facing an uncertain future after it was announced that the factory is to be sold.

Around 60 employees at the Avon Mixing Plant, on the West Wiltshire Trading Estate in Westbury, could be affected after Avon Rubber revealed that they might have to resort to closing the centre if a buyer isn't found.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

The big one in the next few weeks/months is surely going to be Northern Rock. They employ over 5,000 people !

Until recently they held the largest market share of mortgage lending after their recent mad expansion.

There must be a lot of 'mortgage processing officers' twiddling their thurmbs in Newcastle. How long can this go on?

I think Jaguar is also at risk, their sales in the UK are down 20% so far this year.

They have been making big losses for several years.

With the US being their largest export market, it's unlikely that they can pin their hopes on an 'export-led recovery', especially with the Pound at over US$2.00 !!

There were recent reports that potential PE buyers were having difficultie raising funds ...... In any case, they really want Land Rover, not Jag, but Ford will only sell as a job lot.

Thousand of jobs losses from these two companies by X-Mas, that would definitively spoil Gordy's Hogmanay :lol:

It's all very sad, but it seems that only a big shock will waken the sheeple as to the perilous state of the UK economy - real wealth cannot be created out of nothing - a strong manufacturing sector is essential to a large economy !!

HOLA447
Uk manufacturing is dying a slow painful death by a million cuts

My sister has just been pulled into a meeting and told her job is being out-sourced to India next April.

Her employer, Siemens (let's name and shame these c***ts) will offer her another role but no job is safe there. :angry:

She knows one person who has had two different positions within the company out-sourced from underneath them in as many years.

You can only hope it backfires on the company in the long-run.

I filled out a customer satisfaction form on the train the other day, and my only gripe was not being able to understand their call centre staff, their condecending attitutude at times and the fact that they don't seem to be able to co-ordinate their online booking service with funds going out of my account leading to me double booking.

HOLA448
The big one in the next few weeks/months is surely going to be Northern Rock. They employ over 5,000 people !

Until recently they held the largest market share of mortgage lending after their recent mad expansion.

There must be a lot of 'mortgage processing officers' twiddling their thurmbs in Newcastle. How long can this go on?

I think Jaguar is also at risk, their sales in the UK are down 20% so far this year.

They have been making big losses for several years.

With the US being their largest export market, it's unlikely that they can pin their hopes on an 'export-led recovery', especially with the Pound at over US$2.00 !!

There were recent reports that potential PE buyers were having difficultie raising funds ...... In any case, they really want Land Rover, not Jag, but Ford will only sell as a job lot.

Thousand of jobs losses from these two companies by X-Mas, that would definitively spoil Gordy's Hogmanay :lol:

It's all very sad, but it seems that only a big shock will waken the sheeple as to the perilous state of the UK economy - real wealth cannot be created out of nothing - a strong manufacturing sector is essential to a large economy !!

Ummmm Jaguar, tricky one, what about the rumours that Ta Ta Motors may buy them out?

Its a strange one the Midland Motoring/Automotive sector?

You have Longbridge - Gone Chinese British Engineers working in China now.

You have Jaguar - May go Indian? Ta Ta have British Engineers working two weeks here two weeks in India, may be looking to build up a consultancy in the Midlands, maybe to consult on how to fix Jaguar, how to break up the model range?

You have LTI taxis, getting into bed with the Chinese, looking to develop their brand in China, British Engineers working for LTI in China.

A black Chinese Cab?

It looks like they will suck Engineering knowledge from our knowledge economy, god know's what we can all do when we have run out of knowledge? :(

HOLA449
You have Longbridge - Gone Chinese British Engineers working in China now.

You have LTI taxis, getting into bed with the Chinese, looking to develop their brand in China, British Engineers working for LTI in China.

A black Chinese Cab?

For sure, the Chinese need to develop their automotive engineering knowledge. Just watch this video of a chinese car being crash-tested in Germany ..... You'd come out looking like chow mein !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo

On a more serious note, I agree with your point about engineering/industrial knowledge being sucked out of the UK.

What many people also fail to see is that without a strong and successful manufacturing sector, it is much more difficult to develop industrial design/engineering consultancy/design software ...etc..... companies - ie Gordy's 'knowledge economy', unless he means by that tv reality production companies and corporate PR firms

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

http://www.kent-online.co.uk/news/default....trecord=-1.#IND

Jobs lost as award-winning firm folds

by business editor Trevor Sturgess

A PICTURE frame manufacturer honoured by the Queen has gone bust with the loss of 55 jobs.

Viewframe Pictures, a family business founded more than 20 years and based in Foots Cray High Street, went into liquidation at the beginning of the month.

It blamed tough overseas competition, especially cheap imports from China.

In 2004, the firm won a Queen’s Award for Export Achievement after soaring overseas sales of its frames and prints.

HOLA4414

That Atmel story should interest the Irish. Lots of major American tech/pharma companies have set up over there in recent years. With their costs in Euros, the plummeting dollar must be starting to hurt.

HOLA4415
For sure, the Chinese need to develop their automotive engineering knowledge. Just watch this video of a chinese car being crash-tested in Germany ..... You'd come out looking like chow mein !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo

On a more serious note, I agree with your point about engineering/industrial knowledge being sucked out of the UK.

What many people also fail to see is that without a strong and successful manufacturing sector, it is much more difficult to develop industrial design/engineering consultancy/design software ...etc..... companies - ie Gordy's 'knowledge economy', unless he means by that tv reality production companies and corporate PR firms

One of friends husband is an engineer, automotive/trim and final/body/chassis etc Lives in and around Leamington i think?

Plenty of experience, degree i think, been out of work two years, cannot get a bean, currently running a flower shop i think?

Anyway my point is in the Midlands there is a hell of lot of Engineering knowledge standing idle, no work, not in automotive anyway?

Either go to China or India with a company or sell the Big Issue?

I hear Ta Ta are looking at starting a consultancy, why i ask, who is going to pay for consultants in the next ten years. You would keep it in house, reduce cost?

Building cars in the UK is foooked? Automotive/Manufacturing, if you have kids, tell them to stay well away.

The future is CCTV, it will be everywhere, you will not be able to sleep at night unless you know your CCTV is there ready to capture the little b@stard trying to rob your pad, just to get his next 10% proof rocket fuel Diamond White Cider fix? :(

I was walking through a city in the Midlands last month, Monday it was, people everywhere on the P1ss, cheap booze, 40 year old men, sitting around drinking Extra Strong Rocket Fuel, no work you see, it reminds me of the late seventies/early eighty's all over again?

Things are getting bad in some of the big city's in the Midlands, no normal paid work, just low paid cr@p, better off on the social, house costs, well we all know, they get up, f@ck it have a drink, the world seems better then, once you are on that road, its hard as f@ck to get off. No one will employ you, you cannot get a job, God help them?

Its all happening right here, right now, what a great big f@cking mess, i hope they hang that tw@t Brown out to dry, but even better from the nearest lamp post to No 10 Downing Street. Saying that the kinky tw@t would probably enjoy it? ;)

HOLA4416
My sister has just been pulled into a meeting and told her job is being out-sourced to India next April.

Her employer, Siemens (let's name and shame these c***ts) will offer her another role but no job is safe there. :angry:

She knows one person who has had two different positions within the company out-sourced from underneath them in as many years.

You can only hope it backfires on the company in the long-run.

I filled out a customer satisfaction form on the train the other day, and my only gripe was not being able to understand their call centre staff, their condecending attitutude at times and the fact that they don't seem to be able to co-ordinate their online booking service with funds going out of my account leading to me double booking.

That's bad for your sister, and I'm sorry for anyone that loses there job like that.

However, estimates have existed for a while now as to how many jobs will be outsourced over the next 5 years. Of course estimates vary, but generally the one I read seemed to be approximately half a million jobs over five years to the Far East and India. Now, while that's not exactly great news, surely it's manageable. (Obviously not at a personal level, so no replies along the lines of "you try managing it if your job was outsourced etc.)

HOLA4417
That's bad for your sister, and I'm sorry for anyone that loses there job like that.

However, estimates have existed for a while now as to how many jobs will be outsourced over the next 5 years. Of course estimates vary, but generally the one I read seemed to be approximately half a million jobs over five years to the Far East and India. Now, while that's not exactly great news, surely it's manageable. (Obviously not at a personal level, so no replies along the lines of "you try managing it if your job was outsourced etc.)

And lets remember that it goes both ways - the UK is a major beneficiary from Foreign Direct Investment too. Just recently a friend has started working for an Indian IT company with an office over here. Although he isn't cold calling people in Calcutta. ;)

HOLA4418
And lets remember that it goes both ways - the UK is a major beneficiary from Foreign Direct Investment too. Just recently a friend has started working for an Indian IT company with an office over here. Although he isn't cold calling people in Calcutta. ;)

No as he is being trained in Indian culture at the moment watching Bollywood films and soaps and working on understanding their regional accents. When he does ring them up he'll say his name is Rajeesh or Ajay etc :P:P

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
One of friends husband is an engineer, automotive/trim and final/body/chassis etc Lives in and around Leamington i think?

Plenty of experience, degree i think, been out of work two years, cannot get a bean, currently running a flower shop i think?

Anyway my point is in the Midlands there is a hell of lot of Engineering knowledge standing idle, no work, not in automotive anyway?

Either go to China or India with a company or sell the Big Issue?

I hear Ta Ta are looking at starting a consultancy, why i ask, who is going to pay for consultants in the next ten years. You would keep it in house, reduce cost?

Building cars in the UK is foooked? Automotive/Manufacturing, if you have kids, tell them to stay well away.

The future is CCTV, it will be everywhere, you will not be able to sleep at night unless you know your CCTV is there ready to capture the little b@stard trying to rob your pad, just to get his next 10% proof rocket fuel Diamond White Cider fix? :(

I was walking through a city in the Midlands last month, Monday it was, people everywhere on the P1ss, cheap booze, 40 year old men, sitting around drinking Extra Strong Rocket Fuel, no work you see, it reminds me of the late seventies/early eighty's all over again?

Things are getting bad in some of the big city's in the Midlands, no normal paid work, just low paid cr@p, better off on the social, house costs, well we all know, they get up, f@ck it have a drink, the world seems better then, once you are on that road, its hard as f@ck to get off. No one will employ you, you cannot get a job, God help them?

Its all happening right here, right now, what a great big f@cking mess, i hope they hang that tw@t Brown out to dry, but even better from the nearest lamp post to No 10 Downing Street. Saying that the kinky tw@t would probably enjoy it? ;)

Get him to start looking in Aberdeen, easy commute, he will be inundated with offers

HOLA4421

Levy, you may next, somewhere down the line, got to say it becuase it is the reality of the situation of begger thy employee economics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7035756.stm

Last Updated: Tuesday, 9 October 2007, 12:48 GMT 13:48 UK

Another 385 jobs to go at Aviva

Norwich Union office

Norwich Union is shedding IT jobs in Norwich and Perth.

Nearly 400 IT jobs will be cut from Norwich Union's offices in England and Scotland, the company has confirmed.

The announcement from parent company Aviva comes after a review to make savings and improve efficiency.

HOLA4422
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7035059.stm

Factory sale will cost 600 jobs

More than 600 jobs are to go on Tyneside, with the closure of an American-owned microchip plant.

Duff entry - cheers MarkD

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/5255814.stm

Jobs risk for 500 insurance staff

Hundreds of insurance workers have been told their jobs are at risk.

Zurich Financial Services has announced proposals to close its office in Fenkle Street, Newcastle, which employs about 500 people.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...amp;ito=newsnow

BBC set to slash 2,800 jobs in huge cost-cutting programme

Last updated at 09:11am on 9th October 2007

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Sainsbury's says immigrants have 'better work ethic' than Britons

By JAMES SLACK - More by this author » Last updated at 23:46pm on 8th October 2007

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/westb...uncertainty.php

WORKERS at a rubber plant in Westbury are facing an uncertain future after it was announced that the factory is to be sold.

Around 60 employees at the Avon Mixing Plant, on the West Wiltshire Trading Estate in Westbury, could be affected after Avon Rubber revealed that they might have to resort to closing the centre if a buyer isn't found.

600 jobs to go on north Tyneside with most of the business park still to be allocated (read: no one wants to come here). All skilled jobs, that's a huge blow to the non-existent economy up here.

Surely they can't all become civil servants...

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northam...ire/7037287.stm

Jobs go as firm moves to Poland

Valassis UK

Valassis UK said some staff had worked there for 30 years

A Northamptonshire firm is to relocate to Poland with the loss of 240 jobs.

Valassis UK processes and settles the finances of coupons and money-off vouchers between product manufacturers and retailers at its Corby site.