House Price Crash Forum
Kurt Barlow

Recession Survival Tactics

Ok - now we are heading full steam into a major recession thanks to Brownomics perhaps we should start debating how we survive the coming firestorm.

To start the ball rolling here are my areas:

Cost control - travel, household expenses, food

Debt reduction - mortgage

Income maximisation- other sources of income

Self suficiency - well not quite - but producing a certain amount of ones own food / energy / water

I shall elaborate as / if the debate moves on. Interested to hear other forum members views :rolleyes:

Move?

Is it an absolute certainty that western Europe would follow us into a recession?

Aside from the practicalities I suspect this recession will be worldwide. It will start with the Anglosaxon economies who have the greatest levels of indebtedness. Europe will follow and finally Asia as there export led growth grinds to a halt.

Ok - now we are heading full steam into a major recession thanks to Brownomics perhaps we should start debating how we survive the coming firestorm.

To start the ball rolling here are my areas:

Cost control - travel, household expenses, food

Debt reduction - mortgage

Income maximisation- other sources of income

Self suficiency - well not quite - but producing a certain amount of ones own food / energy / water

I shall elaborate as / if the debate moves on. Interested to hear other forum members views :rolleyes:

Excellent thread - I think the decision making during a recession will be far more important to most of us than house prices. Quick suggestion from me - dont take expensive holidays - if you are out of work you may really appreciate the extra cash to take a decent break.

In your case mate, I would put a few quid in the budget for a trip to the dentist !!!

And sort out those dodgy contact lenses.

Edited by lufc

One more step towards energy independence. Whole system DIY for under £600

thrown in loft insulation, cavity wall, pipe insulation, energy efficent lightbulbs, tank lagging and one has extremely low bills.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

hmm i meant like bolt locks, trellace on low fences, anti-climbing paint, manual locks on your car etc

Its all pretty common sense really.

I find the mind boggles when bus companies and BT erect GLASS shelters, in the worst parts of town, which may look trendy and cosmopolitan, but end up getting smashed by the brain dead yoofs every weekend :blink: which probably cost £££s to replace.

Crime prevention is better.

Guest Shedfish

hmm,

dump the expensive girlfriend

have at least 2 current accounts with a debit card, some money in them both

a postman's uniform (invisibility cloak, free train travel)

some form of blunt instrument by the door, hung on a piece of cotton

a nice big housebrick of soap bar

loads of pesto

decent acoustic guitar

i just need a garden that produces all year round, and that's me set. apart from a cheap girlfriend. and the pesto.

Ive already got two firearms grade pump action air rifles and a shotgun :ph34r:

Seems like you're prepared :lol:

BUT:

It's the ammo that is limiting factor, not the firearms.

Unless have your own reloading equipment and reloading supplies, you won't last long in an anarchic society.

Seems like you're prepared :lol:

BUT:

It's the ammo that is limiting factor, not the firearms.

Unless have your own reloading equipment and reloading supplies, you won't last long in an anarchic society.

This is true.

That said the firearms are primarily for pest control however a secondary role could be to shoot food - plenty of rabbit and pigeon round here. If I was hungry enough Im sure rook would taste good. Infact Im sure Hugh Fernley Whitingstall cooked one in a pie once. Tertiary role - last resort perimeter defence

Sadly this thread has degenerated as so many do here :(

Learn to cook properly

Learn to survive on berries like Ray Mears

[ok so it wont get that bad]

Actually there is a hell of allot of free food out there. On my hour long sunday walks at present I pick blackberries, plums, sloes, elderberries, mushrooms.

Also rosehip is edible, birch bark (ok that is a bit extreme), dandelions.

Also aware of several productive sweet chestnuts, wild cherry, and hazels in the outback.

Things are looking hopeful.

Edited by Kurt Barlow

thrown in loft insulation, cavity wall, pipe insulation, energy efficent lightbulbs, tank lagging and one has extremely low bills.

Good job. They try to flog that system for £8000.

Recession Survival

Well this recession could just turn into a full blown depression or meltdown so thats what i'm planning for.

i too have a 1.77 air rifle but i think it would pi$$ someone off more than stop them

Whats this system you have for under 600 quid.

just think of the money you could make if you could make a small wind turbine that produces 100w and comes in at a few hundred quid.

Beef up the security in your house

No - that's a sign of increased prosperity in the area, according to the ING quarterly newsletter that fell through the door this month!

One of the indicators of an 'up and coming area' is the increase in the number of burglar alarms. - And there was me thinking it was a sign of increased crime in the area.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Learn to cook properly

Learn to survive on berries like Ray Mears

[ok so it wont get that bad]

Ray Mears eats a lot more than berries, the porker.