House Price Crash Forum

RBS pulls out of self-cert market

Sledgehead

HOLA441

In Money&Jobs, Sunday Telegraph:

"Now RBS pulls out of self-cert market

... The ban which includes the NatWest Brand, informed mortgage brokers last week that it will no longer accept new self-cert business.

The decision by RBS follows that of Co-operative Bank...which pulled out in Feb....."

(soory no link, can't find it on web)

The RBS launched it's self cert only two years ago (july 2002)

HOLA442

theres other lenders still offering self cert, i know RBS were a big player, but they certainly were'nt the cheapest. surely people who want a self cert will just go elsewhere? IMO it will be when EVERYONE stops doing them that it could effect the market ........''IF'' that is what was fuelling it.

HOLA443

I don't agree.

Anyone pulling out of the self cert market is significant.

It makes it just little bit easier to sue /compesation if things go wrong.

The mood music from the industry now is that they are pulling back.

There were good articles in S/times and express and property/observer.

I'm tempted to say that watched markets don't crash.

Althouh that could be just a well worn phrase.

Ian.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
There were good articles in S/times and express and property/observer.

Any chance of links if you have them to hand ian?

I'm tempted to say that watched markets don't crash.

I always have this playing in the back of my mind. It is certainly true of capital markets where the major players are well ahead of retail investors. Any idea whether it is less appropriate for a market dominated by retail, such as property?

HOLA447
HOLA448
Nobody seems to have pointed out that RBS may just be taking precautions ahead of the FSA taking over.

I was just about to ask this question. I suspect TTRTR is thinking what I am, which is "better to jump than be pushed". I'm noyt suggesting th eFSA has the ability to pre-empt malpractice, but I'm sure they could make make some pretty horrible noises about the sort of practices they will be taking a dim view of. Any bank that subsequently cut that sort of business would look as if they had already committed malpractice an dwere scrambling to do their best to keep in line with best practice.

Thoughts?

I guess it was in the paper, but none of you have said it.....

It was in another section - House & Home , under Market Watch

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

thanx stats, particularly interesting for me is the Luke Johnson piece which illustrates the frustrations many of us share who long for a proper economy. He concludes that BTL as an investment has become sensible when "lunatics are running the economy". The caveat is that the environment this supposedly business friendly government has created and continues to foster is one where entrepreneurs like himself and providers of business capital (like me) just don't bother: the eventual collapse in business and jobs that will ensue if these jokers continue in office will be good for nobody.

THE LUNATICS ARE RUNNING THE ECONOMY By Luke Johnson (Filed: 05/09/2004)

Extract:

"I had a very depressing conversation with a property developer the other day. I was talking to him about a possible investment in a business and he asked: "Why on earth would I ever want to get involved in a business employing people? All that risk and regulation? As a landlord I can just collect rent and have no staff - your tenants can do all the work."

And I realised that his attitude was the logical conclusion to the onslaught our political masters have waged against employers and providers of capital to business."

A real wake up call if one were ever needed for those who maintain we have a strong economy.

HOLA4413

The end of self-cert if very significant. in some areas of the South East, self-cert was approaching half of all mortages. That's a lot of 'self-employed' people out there.

For all the talk fo 'lower rents' on this board, the last fie years has also seen sickening rent hikes, ending up with the situation where people say, 'I have to shell out X on rent but I'd never get a mortage for that with a high-street bank'.

If people could no longer slef-cert at any costs, and the BTL brigade realised the pyramid scheme had run out of steam, the emperor would look very naked indeed.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Self cert will end up being the cause of many County Court actions.

Judges will have no sympathy when the chickens come home to roost. :(

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Retired Pensioner
Time to raise the rents. Posted on Sep 6 2004, 07:34 AM
I love when some tell us how all WILL be.

Very important word in Gordon Brown`s vocabulary.

HOLA4418