House Price Crash Forum

Gordon Brown Pledges To Solve The Housing Crisis

HOLA441
HOLA442
DECEMBER 2005

Plans to boost UK housing supply

The chancellor wants one million new homeowners by 2010

Gordon Brown has unveiled plans to boost the supply of affordable homes and the amenities that go with them

blah blah, I'm sick of that man. It got to the point that I have to switch channel when he's on the telly.

:angry:

HOLA443
blah blah, I'm sick of that man. It got to the point that I have to switch channel when he's on the telly.

:angry:

I t would be nice if he WAS on the telly whenever anything happens - he seems to be the first to disappear!!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Gordon Brown has unveiled plans to boost the supply of affordable homes and the amenities that go with them

Here is the first one to be marketed, the EA has describes it as deceptively spacious with easy access to shops and tube lines.

200612014b.jpg

HOLA448
Here is the first one to be marketed, the EA has describes it as deceptively spacious with easy access to shops and tube lines.

200612014b.jpg

couldnt see this on BUYRIGHTMOVE- have you a link- i like the windows in the roofspace, the patio, and its detached

HOLA449

This article had a thread of it's own recently: http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/bu...-shortage.thtml

"The government’s predictions for the growth in the number of households have been proved wrong, however. Between 2001 and 2006, according to the Office of National Statistics, the number of households in England and Wales grew from 23.8 million to 24.2 million — an average increase of 80,000 a year, far short of the 223,000 which planners at the Department for Communities and Local Government have been predicting. Their mistake was to fail to appreciate that high property prices act as a brake on household creation: the more expensive houses become, the greater the incentive for children to remain living with their parents and for warring couples to remain together.

Meanwhile, the rate of housebuilding has quietly recovered: in 2006/07, 173,369 new homes were completed"

Any Question yesterday with Yvette Cooper repeating the same old mantra. I phoned Any Answers after the show and tried to get on the air, I've managed before no problem. The call handler asks for my comment, I quoted the above figures and made my point, that high house prices are a symptom of monetary inflation, fear and greed.

Did I get on air - no.

Those figures destroy the fundamental government/bull arguments, they are from the ONS.

The call handler actually said she'd have to check with the producer to see if my comments were "suitable", something that they've never said before.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
This article had a thread of it's own recently: http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/bu...-shortage.thtml

"The government’s predictions for the growth in the number of households have been proved wrong, however. Between 2001 and 2006, according to the Office of National Statistics, the number of households in England and Wales grew from 23.8 million to 24.2 million — an average increase of 80,000 a year, far short of the 223,000 which planners at the Department for Communities and Local Government have been predicting. Their mistake was to fail to appreciate that high property prices act as a brake on household creation: the more expensive houses become, the greater the incentive for children to remain living with their parents and for warring couples to remain together.

Meanwhile, the rate of housebuilding has quietly recovered: in 2006/07, 173,369 new homes were completed"

Any Question yesterday with Yvette Cooper repeating the same old mantra. I phoned Any Answers after the show and tried to get on the air, I've managed before no problem. The call handler asks for my comment, I quoted the above figures and made my point, that high house prices are a symptom of monetary inflation, fear and greed.

Did I get on air - no.

Those figures destroy the fundamental government/bull arguments, they are from the ONS.

The call handler actually said she'd have to check with the producer to see if my comments were "suitable", something that they've never said before.

Been discussed before onsite but the 23.8 million figure above seems to be about 2m out according to ONS website thereby making the Spectator article completely wrong.

HOLA4416

But Gordon *will* solve the housing crisis.

He'll cut interest rates and inflate the bubble like a hot air balloon.

Then 70% of the voters will be happy again and vote accordingly.

This is the future.... perhaps.

But here's another question. Does anyone believe that Camerons crew would do any different? I believe the Tories are even less likely to tackle the issue properly. The rich property moguls of course will pressure them to redress the balance and devalue housing to help FTBs...... yeah, right! ;)

Edited by Darkman

HOLA4417
But Gordon *will* solve the housing crisis.

He'll cut interest rates and inflate the bubble like a hot air balloon.

Then 70% of the voters will be happy again and vote accordingly.

This is the future.... perhaps.

But here's another question. Does anyone believe that Camerons crew would do any different? I believe the Tories are even less likely to tackle the issue properly. The rich property moguls of course will pressure them to redress the balance and devalue housing to help FTBs...... yeah, right! ;)

MARKET SAYS "NO"

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

a) its a lie as we have come to expect from Labour

B ) even if they did build them the BTL locusts will snap them all up, for priced out FTB's to rent off them.

Edited by Pete95

HOLA4420
Been discussed before onsite but the 23.8 million figure above seems to be about 2m out according to ONS website thereby making the Spectator article completely wrong.

Can you provide the data you used please?

The data I'm looking at on ONS only goes up to 2001.

New homes built between 1991 - 2001 1867750

Household growth between 1991 - 2001 1750000

Household growth has actually fallen when compared to the period 1981-1991.

Edited by dom

HOLA4421
Can you provide the data you used please?

The data I'm looking at on ONS only goes up to 2001.

New homes built between 1991 - 2001 1867750

Household growth between 1991 - 2001 1750000

Household growth has actually fallen when compared to the period 1981-1991.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/727.asp

It is the 2001 figure to which I refer. Down near the bottom it gives a figure for Households.

HOLA4422

I''ve some better numbers here, from the Communities and Local Government site,

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications...housingengland2

Between 2001 and 2005 the number of households in England grew from 20298k to 20686k, an increase of 388k.

During the same period the number of permanent dwellings completed in England - 567.5k

HOLA4423
I''ve some better numbers here, from the Communities and Local Government site,

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications...housingengland2

Between 2001 and 2005 the number of households in England grew from 20298k to 20686k, an increase of 388k.

During the same period the number of permanent dwellings completed in England - 567.5k

Sorry I am having some difficulty viewing the documents contained in that shortcut. It is only talking about England - we were discussing England and Wales. Secondly, you were relying on Ross Clark's article - are you able to find his 23.8m figure anywhere - if it is 2m out then it completely destroys his story don't you think? If his 2001 figure is wrong and his 2005 figure is correct then this would lead it into conflict with the stats that you now provide.

HOLA4424
Sorry I am having some difficulty viewing the documents contained in that shortcut. It is only talking about England - we were discussing England and Wales. Secondly, you were relying on Ross Clark's article - are you able to find his 23.8m figure anywhere - if it is 2m out then it completely destroys his story don't you think? If his 2001 figure is wrong and his 2005 figure is correct then this would lead it into conflict with the stats that you now provide.

Yeah ok, check out the figures for yourself. Whether the figures quoted in the article are entirely accurate or not, the numbers on the ONS and CLG support the hypothesis.