No Election Says Bbc

yaakov

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7031749.stm

Last Updated: Saturday, 6 October 2007, 14:50 GMT 15:50 UK

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Brown 'rules out' autumn election

Breaking news

Gordon Brown is expected to say he will not call a general election this autumn, the BBC has learned.

Nick Robinson, the BBC's political correspondent, understands that Mr Brown is due to make a statement soon.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Snap general election 'ruled out'

Gordon Brown is expected to say he will not call a general election this autumn, the BBC has learned.

Nick Robinson, the BBC's political correspondent, understands that Mr Brown is due to make a statement soon.

Opposition leaders had challenged Mr Brown to end uncertainty over whether he would call an election after mounting speculation in recent weeks.

Recent opinion polls have suggested that Labour's lead over the Conservatives has fallen.

BBC article

HOLA443

Breaking news

Quite a surprise. GeorgeyG was saying he was 90% sure there would be an election. Browns aides have been telling the press there could be an election. But he has bottled it, he must be very worried about the economy over the next month IMO.

HOLA444

Breaking news

Sensible if true. The turnout would have been a nightmare for Labour, as Labour voters on the whole tend to be less motivated than Tories and if its cold and dark the Tories would take some surprising seats which the polls alone would not suggest.

However I'm a bit disappointed as although Labour would probably have won (just) it would have been a good chance to go on about the European constitution.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Brown's Broadcasting Corporation speaks.

Can't be bothered to see if they mentioned the real reason........... :lol:

He's his own man though, just a little political boil on the butt of life just like his predecessor.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/commons/sto...2185029,00.html

Clintons' strategist advises Brown to delay election

· PM told to rely on his long-term performance

· Cameron judged to have won conference battle

Julian Borger

Saturday October 6, 2007

The Guardian

The US pollster and strategist behind Bill Clinton's 1996 re-election, Tony Blair's third victory in 2005 and Hillary Clinton's current dominance of the presidential primaries, has recommended that Gordon Brown put off the election.

HOLA448
Quite a surprise. GeorgeyG was saying he was 90% sure there would be an election. Browns aides have been telling the press there could be an election. But he has bottled it, he must be very worried about the economy over the next month IMO.

yes its interesting. You never know what nasty surprises there could be in the next month in the current financial climate.

IMO, the medium to longer term prospects are even worse for the economy though. If I were him I think I would have taken the risk of a snap election now rather than after the coming economic meltdown.

HOLA449

Agreed. If this is true, there's only one way I read it: that Brown believes he's at risk of losing an election both now and in 2-3 years' time, and so has concluded that he might as well spend those years in no. 10 than the backbenches.

Edit: this is now the lead story on the Torygraph's website.

Edited by The Ayatollah Bugheri

HOLA4410

http://www.metro.co.uk/money/article.html?...p;in_page_id=36

Darling to admit downturn in UK economy
Friday, October 5, 2007
Alistair Darling Chancellor Alistair Darling is expected to admit next week that the UK economy will grow by less than previously forecast in 2008.

It appears Bill Clinton advised Gordon to stay on hold. "Its the economy stupid" is the catchphrase that explains why certain people lose elections.

BTW, if anyone is interested in a "sure thing" a bet on Hils getting in in 2008 has to be the best bet of all time. I wish I had placed a bet years ago when it was decided she would get the 8 follows following Presdent Cheney.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Brown is like an airline pilot flying a dilapidated aeroplane shedding panels and leaking fuel. His choice is to land now with a 50/50% of saving the aircraft and passengers, or carry on flying for another 2-3 years with a 100% chance of crashing and burning.

I guess his taxpayer-funded pension calculations will be paramount, unlike the 125,000 poverty-stricken private pensioners he has shafted and who have nothing after a lifetime of work.

Edited by Red Baron

HOLA4413

Good - I want to see him reap what he has sowed. Once the economy starts to tank, he'll be right in the firing line and come the election he will have to call in 2010/11 - Labour will be out for a generation (minimum).

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Brown is like an airline pilot flying a dilapidated aeroplane shedding panels and leaking fuel. His choice is to land now with a 50/50% of saving the aircraft and passengers, or carry on flying for another 2-3 years with a 100% chance of crashing and burning.

I guess his taxpayer-funded pension calculations will be paramount, unlike the 125,000 poverty-stricken private pensioners he has shafted and who have nothing after a lifetime of work.

an excellent analogy- i like it :)

say there's an election in 2 yrs time- doesnt that mean 2 more years of HPI? al be it at reduced rates

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest The_Oldie

It seems that Brown has done a recorded interview with the BBC's Andrew Marr for broadcast on BBC1 tomorrow at 09:00.

Marr has confirmed that there will be no election this year and probably not next.

HOLA4421

[quote name=Realistbear' date='Oct 6 2007, 02:59 PM' post='799887]

Cameron, you are a very lucky man.

Couldn't agree more, but I'm sure that Cameron and his public school chums will make complete ar$es of themslves in the coming months with more unsupportable policies designed to woo the Daily Mail twin sets and the Torygraph brigade, at the expense of everyone else.

They have managed 'a bounce' on the back of raising inheritance tax, that's hardly taking care of the economy is it?

HOLA4422
It seems that Brown has done a recorded interview with the BBC's Andrew Marr for broadcast on BBC1 tomorrow at 09:00.

Marr has confirmed that there will be no election this year and probably not next.

So Brown doesn't even have the guts to face journalists directly but instead summons toothless sheep Marr to be his mouth piece.

HOLA4423

Brown has just neutered himself. Strong hints of a snap election, and then he backs down because he fears the opposition is looking a little too good. So in essence he is conceding that he stands a good chance of losing to Cameron, in which case he's a lame duck leader. He really needed to lock in a full term ASAP as by the time he is forced to call an election things are going to be very bad and he stands no chance of winning.

HOLA4424
Guest The_Oldie
So Brown doesn't even have the guts to face journalists directly but instead summons toothless sheep Marr to be his mouth piece.

That's about it. Good news though :D.

HOLA4425