House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Shocker From The Scotsman: 20% Unemployed In City

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1599292007

Revealed: 1 in 5 people out of job in city

MICHAEL "Mick" BLACKLEY
BUSINESS REPORTER (mblackley@edinburghnews.com)
ONE in five adults doesn't have a job in the Capital,
despite official figures showing that unemployment is at an all-time low
Politicians have queued up to trumpet a 1.9 per cent unemployment rate as proof of the widespread benefits of Edinburgh's booming
MIRACLE
economy.
But a study of government statistics reveals that more than 55,000 adults of working age in the city are not employed or in full-time education. Among them are almost 18,000 - around one in 20 - who are living on benefits.

Italics mine.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Has the government been printing slightly erroneous data through the ONS everywhere?

Guest grumpy-old-man

anomalies in the stats RB, we have been saying it for quite a while now.

Won't be long now. :ph34r:

Edited by grumpy-old-man

Guest grumpy-old-man

if the cpi figure is 1.8%, then I can only imagine what the true figures for unemployment are. <_<

Not a surprise - many folk who work in the city are priced out of Edinburgh and have moved out to Fife/The Lothians.

What remains is the wealthy, the students, the renters and the schemies.

I'd hate to see what the real unemployment figures for Glasgow are.

Not a surprise - many folk who work in the city are priced out of Edinburgh and have moved out to Fife/The Lothians.

What remains is the wealthy, the students, the renters and the schemies.

I've just come back to Edinburgh after a while away (living with mother...) and it has definitely changed in terms of population make up. Masses more foriegners - mostly American, Australian, Canadian around the city centre, and every other accent appears to be very posh English. My mother's generation - retired, property wealthy etc - have a great life there. Anyone else who wants a decent life is priced out. There's no shortage of jobs, there's masses of them. It's just they don't pay anything like enough to live in Edinburgh or to live outside and commute in. Hence, the agencies are thronging with the gap year student types.

Apparently 6,000 people applied for 60 council house places last year. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a massive mismatch - tonnes of jobs that are having to be filled by young foreigners willing to work cheap and share rooms, coupled with a rise in people deciding going on benefits, or back to university or whatever because it's actually easier / cheaper to live that way.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Has the government been printing slightly erroneous data through the ONS everywhere?

..not erroneous ..just that statistics can be presented any way you wish them to look...the skill is analysing them and comparing them with past data presented in a different format.... :ph34r:

Unemployment is rising everywhere. I work in IT and was just made redundant, Here in Shropshire the local DWP have been processing my claim for 4 weeks now, when i called to enquire about my claim, they advised that there was a massive backlog of claims and mine had not been processed yet, they advised me that due to a substaintial increase in claims that the DWP could not keep up with claims.

I also did not bother to claim for 2 weeks thinking i would soon be back in work, as is the usual in Information technology, but sadly there does not seem to be a great deal of work out there at the moment.

Cant be long now until we enter the new pardigm of mass unemployment house price crash massive negative equity, record repos and economic meltdown, and all at a time when the public finances are in the toilet.

Unemployment is rising everywhere. I work in IT and was just made redundant, Here in Shropshire the local DWP have been processing my claim for 4 weeks now, when i called to enquire about my claim, they advised that there was a massive backlog of claims and mine had not been processed yet, they advised me that due to a substaintial increase in claims that the DWP could not keep up with claims.

I also did not bother to claim for 2 weeks thinking i would soon be back in work, as is the usual in Information technology, but sadly there does not seem to be a great deal of work out there at the moment.

Cant be long now until we enter the new pardigm of mass unemployment house price crash massive negative equity, record repos and economic meltdown, and all at a time when the public finances are in the toilet.

Cant be long now until we enter the new pardigm of mass unemployment house price crash massive negative equity, record repos and economic meltdown, and all at a time when the public finances are in the toilet

Accurate summation of the consequences of Gordon's miracle based on cheap and easy credit and mass export of real jobs.

Revealed: 1 in 5 people out of job in city

MICHAEL "Mick" BLACKLEY
BUSINESS REPORTER (mblackley@edinburghnews.com)
ONE in five adults doesn't have a job in the Capital,
despite official figures showing that unemployment is at an all-time low
Politicians have queued up to trumpet a 1.9 per cent unemployment rate as proof of the widespread benefits of Edinburgh's booming
MIRACLE
economy.
But a study of government statistics reveals that more than 55,000 adults of working age in the city are not employed or in full-time education. Among them are almost 18,000 - around one in 20 - who are living on benefits.

Italics mine.

Despite seeing obviously mass over crowding on trains and buses and roads in "rush hour" times, I have been wondering about how low unemployment really is for all the reasons previously mentioned in my posts on the subject. I've long questioned this Govt claim.

Now, I'm beginning to go slightly insane - and I'm wondering if they deliberately run too few buses/trains/Tubes just to make it look like there's more people in work and using them than there really is!?! Or maybe if you look closely you can see it's the same bunch of actors using the train or bus every 30 mins on a rota system, just to make it look like loads of people are going to work or coming home! Well, at least they've got a job as fake commuting workers! And as for the cars, they go round and round - have you not heard of the M25 and Circular roads??!

Did I mention I'm going just slightly insane? :P

Maybe it's as Seal said, never going to survive unless you get a little cr-aaa--azy! http://www.mp3lyrics.org/s/seal/crazy/

I've just come back to Edinburgh after a while away (living with mother...) and it has definitely changed in terms of population make up. Masses more foriegners - mostly American, Australian, Canadian around the city centre, and every other accent appears to be very posh English. My mother's generation - retired, property wealthy etc - have a great life there. Anyone else who wants a decent life is priced out. There's no shortage of jobs, there's masses of them. It's just they don't pay anything like enough to live in Edinburgh or to live outside and commute in. Hence, the agencies are thronging with the gap year student types.

Apparently 6,000 people applied for 60 council house places last year. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a massive mismatch - tonnes of jobs that are having to be filled by young foreigners willing to work cheap and share rooms, coupled with a rise in people deciding going on benefits, or back to university or whatever because it's actually easier / cheaper to live that way.

You speak a world of truth. Edinburgh is great for the Alexander McCall Smith generation who inhabit Jenners coffee shop. And loads of jobs around the minimum wage - but about 350 to 400pcm to share a flat here now.

I used to employ data processing staff on an evening shift for a major bank - 50-60% Aussie/Kiwis on their travels who had 2 or 3 jobs. Very few locals. Rest were students/recent graduates. The occasional hard pressed local with a massive mortgage and a day job as well - but these were few and far between.

Another great city ruined by HPI.

I used to employ data processing staff on an evening shift for a major bank - 50-60% Aussie/Kiwis on their travels who had 2 or 3 jobs. Very few locals. Rest were students/recent graduates.

I'm just re-entering that world. Staying with Mum to save money for a year before going back to uni next year (basically blowing HPI profit from 2004 having given up ever getting back on the ladder ;) )

Pretty much everyone I spoke to working in agencies sounded Aussie or Kiwi, never mind the other applicants. And oddly, a couple of agencies were sounding quite dispondant about the lack of work around. There still looks to be plenty to me - just very low paid, soul destroying stuff, mostly in banking services, funnily enough. (That and the post office). They're all nothing jobs though, low paid stuff that, if the economy was a tumble drier, would be the fluff in the filter. Here today, gone tomorrow jobs that don't matter. Also, I figure the credit crunch could have a large impact, given they mostly revolved around selling loan products and processing the results of that (and the PO jobs are probably sorting the resulting junk mail :ph34r: )

Well the company I used to work far has now outsourced all back office functions to India. 3000+ jobs gone from central Edinburgh. That was about 3 years ago now.

Well the company I used to work far has now outsourced all back office functions to India. 3000+ jobs gone from central Edinburgh. That was about 3 years ago now.

Soon the only employed in the UK on decent money will be the nom doms, and they pay b*ggar all in tax.

While people have been playing property developer, New Lab have silently hollowed out the economy for the benefit of their rich backers.

Mrs Timil worked in a dole office for 20 years packed it in a year ago.

Before she left she said she would love to have counted the unemployment figures using the same criteria she used 20 years ago, we'd be back to "Boys from the black stuff" figures if they'd count them Properly.

Edited by Timil

I found this newspaper article on an Irish property board. It shows how people are fed completely misleading statistics. I could rant on about this for hours, but the article speaks for itself.

article

Edited by davidhpc

Mrs Timil worked in a dole office for 20 years packed it in a year ago.

Before she left she said she would love to have counted the unemployment figures using the same criteria she used 20 years ago, we'd be back to "Boys from the black stuff" figures if they'd count them Properly.

Yup, doesn't surprise me at all. I don't doubt there are patches of the country where unemployment is truly low, but I think as a whole it's just an illusion.

Think that this under reporting is the new paradigm, if you arnt on the books you dont exist, therfore there is no problem. I suspect this could be carried on for a long time to come until there are literaly thousands of people obviously living in the streets robbing passers by and businesses complaining about no customers. This runs in parellel to the low CPI figures, ignore unmeployment and inflation and they will just go away and the press will keep on reporting what a wonderful world it is.

Guest An Bearin Bui

Edinburgh has always been something of an economic enigma to me. There seems to be so much money in the city from mysterious sources. That hikes up the property prices and keeps the cafes and bookstores and Harvey Nicks full but when you speak to most people they can't actually afford to live here. Where I work the majority of the 40s-50s age-group live down in the Borders or out in Fife / East Lothian while those in their 20s / 30s either rent or own a small flat somewhere. Salaries aren't that high but then you see ordinary 2-bed flats selling for 340k and you really do wonder who the heck is paying out that kind of money. I have heard a lot of it is wealthy parents of Edinburgh University students who can pay cash and think 300k is cheap as they're in London mode. St. Andrews has a similar problem.

The figures aren't too much of surprise based on anecdotal observations anyway. I always used to wonder how certain small designer shops stayed in business in Edinburgh because they only open 9-5 from Mon-Fri and then for a couple of hours on Saturday. Then I took a day off work to get some things done and was gobsmacked at the amount of well-heeled people milling about in the middle of a working day with nothing more to do than hang out in cafes and look around the shops. The shops were nearly as busy as they are on Saturdays. Nobody looked like they were on the dole either - a mix of yummy mummies with designer prams, 50+ well-heeled people (esp. housewife types) and just random people of both genders who looked quite well-to-do also but too old to be students. It was a whole other world: there was me thinking that the majority of people in Edinburgh were slogging their guts out paying the mortgage and their eye-wateringly high energy and council tax bills but behind it all there exists a special elite of people who have no need to work for a living. And there's no way they could ALL have been taking the day off work to get stuff done :)

These figures in the Scotsman go a long way to putting numbers on the mystery anyway - especially the fact that of the 55000 unemployed, 46000 had no interest in seeking work. I'm sure many of them have no need to. There is just a lot of old money in this city I think. It'll all soon be gone however and what will the Tristan and Jemima (or Callum and Fiona in this case) of 2017 do then??

These figures in the Scotsman go a long way to putting numbers on the mystery anyway - especially the fact that of the 55000 unemployed, 46000 had no interest in seeking work. I'm sure many of them have no need to. There is just a lot of old money in this city I think. It'll all soon be gone however and what will the Tristan and Jemima (or Callum and Fiona in this case) of 2017 do then??

...hey ..! here is the 17-35 year old millionaires data ...Edinburgh ranks pretty high...I have read also there are a lot of older millionaires cash rich from investments in Edinburgh....not the property type (they are ten a penny).....nice place to hang around in if it's not windy ....... :lol::lol::lol::P

http://www.eurodirect.co.uk/Pages/PR_Baby%...llionaires.html

Edited by South Lorne

...hey ..! here is the 17-35 year old millionaires data ...Edinburgh ranks pretty high...I have read also there are a lot of older millionaires cash rich from investments in Edinburgh....not the property type (they are ten a penny).....nice place to hang around in if it's not windy ....... :lol::lol::lol::P

http://www.eurodirect.co.uk/Pages/PR_Baby%...llionaires.html

...OK ...it's a 2003 report ...but you get the trend in the city centre restaurants and coffee shops...

"Yet the residents of Blackhall, in the suburbs of Edinburgh, have more millionaires in their midst than anywhere else in the UK - apart from the celebrity squares of Hampstead - a new survey has revealed.

Details of the country’s hidden wealth have been revealed in the super-rich report, which has placed EH4 and EH10 (Morningside) as second and third in the UK for the number of millionaires, ahead of desirable London districts such as Wimbledon, Chelsea and Kensington."

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=146432003

:lol::lol::lol::P

I am well and truly shocked that nobody has bought up the concept of the employment rate (rate of employment of working age people), and comparisons with other areas.

80% is a very, very high (i.e. good) employment rate for a western economy, The UK has a high employment rate compared to its Western competitors, Scotland's employment rate is higher than the UKs, and Edinburgh is higher than Scotland's rate.

Place...........Employment Rate

Edinburgh: 80%

Scotland: 76.7%

UK: 74.4%

London: 69.3%

Glasgow: 66.5%

Denmark: 79.7%

Finland: 69.7%

Japan: 65%

Italy: 63%

US: 62.8%

Canada 61.2%

Belgium: 60%

Poland: 54.5%

So as you can see Edinburgh is not on its last legs, it is probably easier to get a job there than most places in the western world.

People can not have a job but also not be unemployed for a variety of reasons, one of the more common reasons would be being a full time housewife for example.

Edited by Della