House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

It May Not Be A Depression, But Save Now Just In Case

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm.../06/cmdep06.xml

For ordinary people in the UK, the effects of the depression were sharply different between the north of England, where there was mass unemployment and hardship, and the south, where life continued with only a slight tightening of people's belts.

Ouch for the North :(

Edited by Ash4781

One way to encourage excessive saving is to continually lay waste to the value of earnings, some people will just spend whatever they have and hope that all will be ok in the end, others will have to redouble their saving attititude, spend the absolute bare minimum and try and fight the inflationary fire by dousing all of their outgoings with as much cold water as possible.

Don't worry we're used to it.

But how would it really play out this time.

Factors to consider are ....

If financial services take a kicking surely that affects the south more?

Whose holding the debt? my understanding is people in the south have more to lose.

Whose got the most money to survive? i'd guess people in the south.

What would a devaluation of the pound do to industry (what little we have left)?

If the govt was forced to cut jobs due to its horrendous debt would that affect the north more or could we see cost cutting by shifting departments up north.

Just food for thought.

Ah we're probably all fcuked

So they seem to imply that their wont be a depression but even if one

does come it will be a 'northern thing', like last time.Yeah right.

Most of the froth is in the south and I'm sure this is where we'll see the most pain in the event of a recession/depression.Seems to me that saving is now very difficult already, the smart thing

to do is to save in the boom and spend in the bust of course.

According to my old man, (in the south) in the 30's it was possible to buy motorbikes

and cars for "an old song." Why? Because people couldn't afford the petrol to run them on !

X5 anyone !?

Seems to me that saving is now very difficult already, the smart thing

If only someone had mentioned that to Gordon.

oh they did that little body called the IMF (damn nosy foreigners!)

All the broadsheets are running with the save theme in the money supplements.Seems they are all of the opinion that we are going for a slow deflating of the Bubble as opposed to a hyper-inflation bailout for the indebted homeowners .Bring it on :rolleyes: .Seem to remember that was also the case 1989-1996,2-3% falls in house prices every year and Baserates sometimes in double figures.Savers were printing money and homeowners were dying the death of a thousand cuts,I should know I was one of them.

Edited by crashmonitor

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
So they seem to imply that their wont be a depression but even if one

does come it will be a 'northern thing', like last time.Yeah right.

Most of the froth is in the south and I'm sure this is where we'll see the most pain in the event of a recession/depression.Seems to me that saving is now very difficult already, the smart thing

According to my old man, (in the south) in the 30's it was possible to buy motorbikes

and cars for "an old song." Why? Because people couldn't afford the petrol to run them on !

X5 anyone !?

2nd hand Jags and Mercs seem to be pretty reasonably priced around here at the moment, and that's without going to auctions.

Of course most of them are ex-fleet cars that have done over 100k miles but have been clocked back, but that's nothing new.

I've moved on from thinking slowdown/recession/depression to a full blown meltdown and after finding out that the derivatives market is worth a massive $600tr and that comes out at $95,000 for every man woman & child in the world, i've started to stack up on food supplies 'Just in case' and if nothing happens then i'll happly give the food to local OAP's or eat it myself (OK it will taste crap) and with food prices going up so fast i see it as a win win for me.

People that buy food just in time need not come knocking my door on week two of any crisis.

2nd hand Jags and Mercs seem to be pretty reasonably priced around here at the moment, and that's without going to auctions.

Of course most of them are ex-fleet cars that have done over 100k miles but have been clocked back, but that's nothing new.

Can't wait to see all those fancy planet killing Range rovers going real cheap as those (i think i'm rich) flog them off just to put food on the table and try and cover the morgage in a futile atempt to keep there greedy dream going!

Can't wait to see all those fancy planet killing Range rovers going real cheap as those (i think i'm rich) flog them off just to put food on the table and try and cover the morgage in a futile atempt to keep there greedy dream going!

This talk of recession has got me on a cost cutting drive.

Practical measures taken today:

Beefed up insulation in loft using carpet offcuts and roll of air tec foil insulation I picked up for pennies.

Super insulated my hot water tank with spare duvets

Used foil wrap insulation to improve freezers.

All this measures will help reduce gas and electric bills - and hedge against gas superspike when Vlad cuts off supplies this winter.

Pumped up tyres on bike - if its dry bike to work not bus. This will also save on gym membership.

Food. Dusted off my old student cook book. Batch cooking stews with minimal meat content and thickened out with orange lentils - very tasty, healthy and less than £1 a meal

I've heard that in the u.s. now, a lot of people are trying to off-load their 4x4s,

imagine if petrol prices double due to the crash of the dollar, I guess they can be put

to good use as garden features or something....

I drive a Range Rover myself ! (actually that's a half truth !)

Guest Bart of Darkness
I've heard that in the u.s. now, a lot of people are trying to off-load their 4x4s,

imagine if petrol prices double due to the crash of the dollar, I guess they can be put

to good use as garden features or something....

The future of motor transport?

horse_drawn_car.JPG

I drive a Range Rover myself ! (actually that's a half truth !)

A Rover?

http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/05-10-07_4

September has traditionally been the strongest month for registrations after March – and this year it has exceeded expectations with 419,290 new cars motoring out of showrooms,” said Christopher Macgowan, SMMT chief executive. “With climate change issues at the forefront of everyone's agenda, it is encouraging to note the rise in uptake of low-carbon vehicles. Motorists are increasingly playing their part in tackling environmental impact.”

Depression cancelled, everyone is euphorically buying a brand new car!

Depression cancelled, everyone is euphorically buying a brand new car!

Ah yes, the good ole days....September 2007... I remember it well, just

before people woke up to reality! The auto trade is expecting a much tougher

year next year though. Sorry , can't find the article !

On the other hand, you may be right!

Edited by council dweller

A Rover?

Can you remind me how you stick photo's on here again - it's been a few yrs :blink: