House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Scott

If There Is A Shortgage Of Housing Why...

As my profile information details I live in sunny Weston-super-Mare.

I did a quick search of my postcode on Rightmove for available properties within 5 miles for the ranges 80k-110k and seperately 225k to 275k.

The 80-110k brought up 73 properties (some of which look very nice for studio, 1 and 2 bed flats, although vastly overpriced).

The 225-275k brought up more than 100 properties (again most look very nice for 3/4 beds, but vastly overpriced).

Anyway, if I were buying now (if I were mad!) I'd have a good deal of choice. I reckon a much greater choice than when I did buy my last property in 1997 (which I sold in 2004). And a greater choice than when I was browsing in 2003 looking to move up the chain, but didn't.

This just goes to prove that speculation and lax lending is why prices are so astromically high, not a lack of properties!!!

Anyone else noticed the same thing in their area?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I did a quick search of my postcode on Rightmove for available properties within 5 miles for the ranges 80k-110k and seperately 225k to 275k.

The 80-110k brought up 73 properties (some of which look very nice for studio, 1 and 2 bed flats, although vastly overpriced).

The 225-275k brought up more than 100 properties (again most look very nice for 3/4 beds, but vastly overpriced).

Anyway, if I were buying now (if I were mad!) I'd have a good deal of choice. I reckon a much greater choice than when I did buy my last property in 1997 (which I sold in 2004). And a greater choice than when I was browsing in 2003 looking to move up the chain, but didn't.

This just goes to prove that speculation and lax lending is why prices are so astromically high, not a lack of properties!!!

Yep DT2 postcode, and just that postcode brings up 285 results. DT2 + 5 miles brings up over 700

All ludicrously overpriced, of course. In the 2 bed <140k range there are 4. Three of which are mobile homes, one of which is a pretty rough looking ex-council place.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Nope. Just lots of people competing for a shortage of properties here in my part of London.

Nope. Just lots of people competing for a shortage of properties here in my part of London.

Best you ******ing stay in London, pal.

At least there'll be a higher chance of successful begging from your cardboard box.

The avaiability data below was extracted from Rightmove on Wednesday, and has been compiled by doing a search on each town/city name and checking the total number of properties returned.

The data layout is City/town name, estimated population, and finally the number of properties on the rightmove website.

The Nottingham & Liverpool availability compared to the population is off the graph! Doesn't bode well for prices going forward.

Remember this is only Rightmove, I don't think it covers all the available houses currently for sale in these areas!

Birmingham 994,900 10036

Glasgow 632,000 3086

Liverpool 477,600 8511

Leeds 448,000 5540

Sheffield 446,300 1960

Manchester 442,800 6211

Bristol 440,100 5455

Leicester 340,100 5981

Kingston Hull 308,200 1838

Coventry 306,900 2938

Cardiff 305,900 3562

Bradford 304,600 2885

Nottingham 260,500 8293

Stoke-on-Trent 256,700 2039

Wolverhampton 254,700 2031

Plymouth 249,200 2632

Derby 241,800 2726

Southampton 239,100 3088

Reading 235,900 1092

Newcastle Tyne 202,200 2694

Apologies for the layout, excel data doesn't seem to copy over very well.

If There Is A Shortgage Of Housing Why..., ..are there loads of properties within 5 miles of me?

Presumably because you live in what is known as a 'built-up' area.

Yeah, Weston-super-Mare is gonna be the new city, forget London. Come on, try again.

Tried it in a less 'built-up' area of Somerset known as Priddy. Still over 100 properties in the 225-275k range.

Have you been to Somerset lately? It's not exactly built-up. I come from North West Kent - now that is built-up!!!

If There Is A Shortgage Of Housing Why..., ..are there loads of properties within 5 miles of me?

Presumably because you live in what is known as a 'built-up' area.

Put a sock in it, tosspot. It's ******wits like you that have ******ed this country up, and a lot of us will be waving goodbye to you soon, to live somewhere less expensive. You can all have circlejerking parties about how many empty houses you have when Britain has no public services left. This is a war and you're not going to win it. So I suggest you knock 60% off what you think your property's worth fairly ******ing sharpish.

Hmm, so why when I put in E1 as the postcode, with a price range of £500-550k within 5 miles radius did it still bring up over 100 properties? (this being double the price of 3/4 bed properties in my part of Somerset) - bearing in mind I can earn twice what I earn in Somerset if I worked in London because I did until a few years ago, but now choose to live in a nicer part of the world.

Or maybe I'm choosing the wrong part of London. Perhaps you could let us have your postcode so we can try it out Ragingbull? ;)

"Tried it in a less 'built-up' area of Somerset known as Priddy. Still over 100 properties in the 225-275k range."

Have you been to Priddy? Is fantastic if you like farming or caving (I am a fan of the latter). Not what you would call a sought after area though. Unless you are a caver. There are not more than 100 properties in Priddy in total btw

Edited by Ellie

"Tried it in a less 'built-up' area of Somerset known as Priddy. Still over 100 properties in the 225-275k range."

Have you been to Priddy? Is fantastic if you like farming or caving (I am a fan of the latter). Not what you would call a sought after area though. Unless you are a caver. There are not more than 100 properties in Priddy in total btw

I think you need to read my original post. I'm actually looking at properties within a 5-mile range. So, YES, there are more than 100 properties.

And within 5 miles of Priddy there are some very nice villages, certainly compared to other areas of the country. But then I guess if you wanted clubbing maybe not.

But ultimately the point I'm conveying is that it doesn't matter where you are (unless perhaps in the remote parts of Scotland, Wales, Norfolk or Cornwall) there are lots of 'for sale' properties around!!!

Apparently the phasing in of HIPs has led to a 37% reduction in new instructions coming onto the market compared to the same period as last year now the deadlines for 3 and 4 bedroom homes has passed.I always thought the £300-£500 fee would put off the casual sellers,I should know I have always stuck my home on with a not bothered if it sells or not attitude.

However,the EAs are blaming this shortage of supply for the collapse of prices we are now seeing,the opposite effect to what I would have thought.Maybe if home owners don't play swaperama ,M4 creation stops dead and house prices with it:I'll swap my house for yours and we will get a 250K mew from Northern Rock while we are about it.Nope ,you are left with I''ll buy your deceased mother's house paying hard cash for a fair figure not funny money created by the Banks.

Edited by crashmonitor