House Price Crash Forum
right_freds_dead

20 Mins Of Channel 4 Tonight

managed to switch on C4 at 7.45. caught the last moments of property ladder. after seeing this gutter trash before i hadnt realised that i have never ever seen a couple who were buying a house for themselves, to do up and live in. nope. everytime its full of people trying to make money. this couple were no different. granted they were pretty sensible, though young. what pissed me off was they should have simply been buying a house and living their life. instead its all about some money market-property developing. its endemic. how they hooped and hollered over a 9k profit and the house did sell for a profit, encouraging them even more to do it again. as the program was designed to do. its showcasing this house investment uk mentality.

that finished followed by the more4 news.

cut to romania and the brand new public enemy number 1 'the people traffickers into the uk sex industry"

they go to romania and film one of the lowest economys in europe. hows it look ? does it look bleak ? does it look run down ?

no. it looks better than the uk does. people dressed nice, sunny, flowing fountains and a very relaxed atmosphere. mixed aged groups walking about what looked like a nice clean market town. they interview a group of romanian youth who are being targeted for this trade. are they rough looking angry hoodies ? drug bent ill educated troublemakers. no. they looked and acted better than people here. polite. relaxed. educated.

this country is a swizz. we think we are the kings of europe but we are utter fools. the long hours, the dark weather, the massive taxation, the corrupted housing. the dodgy inflation rate and the cost of living. and for what ?

the chance of a life sucking mortgage to a bleak, cold old terrace house with a brick yard and little parking for your commuter beat over taxed car, or costly ineffective public transport so you can continue to go to work in some sucky job in order to go out to a binge drinker infested drab, drunk town centre and a kebab from an immigrant that possibly hates you, then back to some crap hole of a flat to enjoy ream after ream of corrupted tv produced from super rich moguls telling you how good this is and how everyone else has it much, much worse. and forcing you to have an ID card for no reason other than to control you more. squeeze you more.

if romania was the worst economy it certainly looked better than the country on the program before. people were better mixed. lighter.

im convinced this countrys gone to the dogs. every other working, cost life balance in other countries seems so much more......human.

i know romania has its problem spots and this wasnt one of them, but on the whole compare that to what your doing now and where.

is it really that good ?

Man...i want to slash my wrists now. I sometimes feel like this but then I remember that despite all of the above we have food, shelter, jobs, stability etc. Just think back 60 years to our grandparents generation. We dont have bombs dropping down on us or the threat of nazi invasion.

It's important to get a sense of perspective and not wallow in self-pity otherwise we become bitter and angry and our lives are diminished. It's a struggle everyday, but try to stay human.

Man...i want to slash my wrists now. I sometimes feel like this but then I remember that despite all of the above we have food, shelter, jobs, stability etc. Just think back 60 years to our grandparents generation. We dont have bombs dropping down on us or the threat of nazi invasion.

It's important to get a sense of perspective and not wallow in self-pity otherwise we become bitter and angry and our lives are diminished. It's a struggle everyday, but try to stay human.

this is the kind of total crap im on about.

saying its ok to tax us 55% and provide sweet FA in the way of honesty and services for what is a HUGE amount of money, because of WW2 ect and starving africans.

i expect a whole lot more for so much tax. we are the most heavily taxed countries in the world, which is ok if we have the best standards, but we do not. we seem to have the worst.

where my dentist i paid for ?

wheres my childs education i paid for. where are the council homes. wheres the good state pensions. wheres the health care.?

whats the war for ?

people like you forget I PAID for those services.

everytime i put a litre in fuel into my car to go to work the government gets 50p per litre.

btw: yeah she was tasty, made beeny look like an old witch. and that peeping black bra.....

managed to switch on C4 at 7.45. caught the last moments of property ladder. after seeing this gutter trash before i hadnt realised that i have never ever seen a couple who were buying a house for themselves, to do up and live in. nope. everytime its full of people trying to make money. this couple were no different. granted they were pretty sensible, though young. what pissed me off was they should have simply been buying a house and living their life. instead its all about some money market-property developing. its endemic. how they hooped and hollered over a 9k profit and the house did sell for a profit, encouraging them even more to do it again. as the program was designed to do. its showcasing this house investment uk mentality.

cut to romania and the brand new public enemy number 1 'the people traffickers into the uk sex industry"

they go to romania and film one of the lowest economys in europe. hows it look ? does it look bleak ? does it look run down ?

no. it looks better than the uk does. people dressed nice, sunny, flowing fountains and a very relaxed atmosphere. mixed aged groups walking about what looked like a nice clean market town. they interview a group of romanian youth who are being targeted for this trade. are they rough looking angry hoodies ? drug bent ill educated troublemakers. no. they looked and acted better than people here. polite. relaxed. educated.

this country is a swizz. we think we are the kings of europe but we are utter fools. the long hours, the dark weather, the massive taxation, the corrupted housing. the dodgy inflation rate and the cost of living. and for what ?

the chance of a life sucking mortgage to a bleak, cold old terrace house with a brick yard and little parking for your commuter beat over taxed car, or costly ineffective public transport so you can continue to go to work in some sucky job in order to go out to a binge drinker infested drab, drunk town centre and a kebab from an immigrant that possibly hates you, then back to some crap hole of a flat to enjoy ream after ream of corrupted tv produced from super rich moguls telling you how good this is and how everyone else has it much, much worse. and forcing you to have an ID card for no reason other than to control you more. squeeze you more.

if romania was the worst economy it certainly looked better than the country on the program before. people were better mixed. lighter.

im convinced this countrys gone to the dogs. every other working, cost life balance in other countries seems so much more......human.

i know romania has its problem spots and this wasnt one of them, but on the whole compare that to what your doing now and where.

is it really that good ?

Hells teeth mate! and its only October! I reckon you should go on suicide watch around mid jan!

By the way - you seriously cant judge a country from a few minutes of TV. You cant even judge it from a 1 month holiday. You need to actually live and work in a country for 2 years before you know what its really like.

The UK is the fourth country I have lived and worked in. Its got its faults as does every country - the UK isnt all bad. In fact, if you live in a place for long enough - read the papers, watch the news, you soon get to see that what many consider massive problems in the UK are trivial in comparison.

Life is what you make of it. If you are bitter, maybe you should look at your lifestyle and see what you can do to make yourself a bit happier.

I worked and IT contract for the NHS a few years ago and there was a Romanian nurse there..

She had come over essentially for an adventure but was staggered that as a nurse she lived in a crappy studio flat and struggled badly to only fall further and further behind...

She told me of how back home she might not have been able to afford western goods that often, but she could afford a nice flat and to eat out a few times a week with her friends...

Nobody will force me out of my country, Watch UKTV History tonight at 10 and then tell me how good other parts of Europe are/were.

Don't be fooled

Oh. Let me guess. More Hitler?

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwnnnn!

id like to see more of the same ww2 footage, only flipped horizontal so it looks like new footage. or at best ww2 in colour !!

wow.

but hells teeth. why does this hardworking uk lifestyle cost so much.

I used to work in the Balkans and although the wages are low, so is the cost of living.

I like you picking up on the fit Romanian girl. In a radio one survey about 3 years ago, they listed which countries have the hottest women.....................the UK came second.............................from bottom! only Afghanistan was lower.

So please add that you your list of why the UK is such a crappy country...........our women are generally far uglier than their EE counterparts (and South America, United States, Far East, Australian, African, Russian for that matter), but as guys over indulge them in bars (due to low standards and lack of choice) they are incredibly stuck up.

If you can handle not driving the lastest car or having the latest gadget, these places are very liveable. Oh and even the average looking women are hot. Just make sure you pick one who either a. is happy not to move to the West, or b. is from a new EU country.

By the way - you seriously cant judge a country from a few minutes of TV. You cant even judge it from a 1 month holiday. You need to actually live and work in a country for 2 years before you know what its really like.

Exactly. most of these moaners rose-tinted ideas of 'abroad' come from the annual boozy fortnight of sun 'n' fun in Benidorm.

Hello, I too think this country had fallen a long way. I have spent a fair while out of the country ( with the Army and contract work) and I now dread to think of what this place will be like in another 20 years.

I agree with the general consensus about East European girls. I have been to most countries in SE Europe and they are, in the main, drop dead gorgeous. There is not a lot of wealth outside the big cities but wherever I have been the girls make the most of what they have...looking smart and being friendly..unlike the pale slugs here. In the end I found i could resist no longer and brought back one of the best looking ones ;):P

Maybe in a few years the people will awaken from the apathy and realise we do not have to live like this here.

Regards

International Tax Comparison

Country, Corporation Tax, Personal Tax, VAT

Australia 30% 17-47% 10%GST

Austria 25% 21%-50% 20%GST

Belgium 33.99% 25-50% 21%

Canada 36.1% 15-29%(Federal) 6% gst

Denmark 24% 38-59% 25%

France 33.33% 10%-48.09% 19.6%

Germany 38.34%(average) 15-42% 19%

Ireland 12.5% 20-41% 21%

Italy 33% 23%-43% 20%

Netherlands 29.6% 0-52% 19%

Norway 28% 28-51.3% 25%

Spain 35% 15-45%% 16%

U.K. 30% 0-40 17.5%

U.S.A. 35% 0-35% -

Selection of competitor/comparable nations made by me, fuller list at website. Local taxes (incl US state sales taxes) not included. We don't seem that out of line with other developed economies. As to whether the money is spent wisely, that's another matter.

is it really that good ?

Thought provoking post, often think the same. I long for the old days of Blighty, but didn't appreciate them when they were around.

Of course, nowhere's ever perfect. Each generation has its problems. But great post.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Hello, I too think this country had fallen a long way. I have spent a fair while out of the country ( with the Army and contract work) and I now dread to think of what this place will be like in another 20 years.

I agree with the general consensus about East European girls. I have been to most countries in SE Europe and they are, in the main, drop dead gorgeous. There is not a lot of wealth outside the big cities but wherever I have been the girls make the most of what they have...looking smart and being friendly..unlike the pale slugs here. In the end I found i could resist no longer and brought back one of the best looking ones ;):P

Maybe in a few years the people will awaken from the apathy and realise we do not have to live like this here.

Regards

I demand hot Eastern European action with my Revolution!

Time to head off again - maybe you've changed.

possibly. perhaps your right. i know somethings changed.

but the things i came back for seem to have changed, not me.

i came backk with this homesick view of buying a small 2 bed house with a titchy garden, but A GARDEN and enjoying tea, the rain, walks, the tv, the food and all the good things which i used to miss. for a while it did feel great. its was still in that slight cool britannia thing. london felt good to visit still. there didnt seem to be the life intrusion that there is now in the uk. less cameras. less immigrants, less traffic. the pay could get you that home for 3.5x salary. there wasnt as much nimby greed about.

at least half of those things above are now gone.

replaced by id cards, more taxation, removal of good and HONEST public services until all your left with is a core of long working hours, high stress, living badly and poorly with no progression and little mobility.

perhaps we both have changed.

is it really that good ?

I guess a lot of people might say you`ve gone over the top, BUT I think you`ve made some valid points. A typical working day for a lot of people consists of getting up, trying to get through the traffic to work, coping with an idiot for a manager, then having to get back through the traffic for an evening meal of ready-made meals and mind-numbing TV. Repeat 5 days a week.

Weekends: go out, put up with a load of binge-drinking morons (and possibly get head kicked in for `looking the wrong way` at someone!)

On top of that pay ridiculous amounts of tax for something you`ll probably never use (or get access to). Add to that a background of social malaise, gangs of chavs, unlimited immigration (and the tensions that arise from that), stupendous house prices and a load of MPs with their snouts in the trough: welcome to UK 2007.

Sure, every country has problems (if you want to avoid them go and live on a desert island?) However, the chickens seem to have decided to come home and roost here. :(

I used to work in the Balkans and although the wages are low, so is the cost of living.

I like you picking up on the fit Romanian girl. In a radio one survey about 3 years ago, they listed which countries have the hottest women.....................the UK came second.............................from bottom! only Afghanistan was lower.

So please add that you your list of why the UK is such a crappy country...........our women are generally far uglier than their EE counterparts (and South America, United States, Far East, Australian, African, Russian for that matter), but as guys over indulge them in bars (due to low standards and lack of choice) they are incredibly stuck up.

If you can handle not driving the lastest car or having the latest gadget, these places are very liveable. Oh and even the average looking women are hot. Just make sure you pick one who either a. is happy not to move to the West, or b. is from a new EU country.

Hate to admit this, but that's pretty much true in my experience. Of course personality's important and beauty's only skin deep but a lot of foreign women are "nicer" (and no they're not trying to lift my wallet while distracting me!) as well as good looking. Here the good lookers are often very snotty, the few that there are, perhaps that's why. Why is this? (sorry nothing to do with house prices, let me quickly try to link them, erm, er, yes attractive women may be able to get a property at a discount if they smile at the vendor, er yep that'll do)

exactly. theres more to life than drunk british bruisers in thongs.....

Don't you mean 'throngs'? :unsure:

possibly. perhaps your right. i know somethings changed.

but the things i came back for seem to have changed, not me.

i came backk with this homesick view of buying a small 2 bed house with a titchy garden, but A GARDEN and enjoying tea, the rain, walks, the tv, the food and all the good things which i used to miss. for a while it did feel great. its was still in that slight cool britannia thing. london felt good to visit still. there didnt seem to be the life intrusion that there is now in the uk. less cameras. less immigrants, less traffic. the pay could get you that home for 3.5x salary. there wasnt as much nimby greed about.

at least half of those things above are now gone.

replaced by id cards, more taxation, removal of good and HONEST public services until all your left with is a core of long working hours, high stress, living badly and poorly with no progression and little mobility.

perhaps we both have changed.

Actually, you probably have a point. Sorry for being flippant, but a lot of people post here with an 'other side of the fence' attitude, as in 'grass is greener'.

I live in the S of France and know it's not the paradise some people seem to think. But I do recognise the UK has probably deteriorated. I think and hope that results from the unbridled greed and the miserable rat-race that has been foisted on the country - what happens when capitalism goes unchecked and everyone has to be out for himself.

When this bubble pops things will change for the better and I'll think about coming back.