House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OLDFTB

Lucky Americans

“‘My wife and I started looking when the market started cooling off,’ said Ron Temple. Recently he heard about a program by Riverside Bank of the Islands to sell homes taken back in foreclosure, and now they’re under contract to buy their first home in Lehigh Acres for $198,000 — $10,000 under appraised value and more space than they’d dreamed of having. ‘I keep pinching myself,’ said Temple.”

“The four-bedroom, three-bath house they’re buying in Cape Coral is ideal for them and their two children living at home but would have been out of their range at more than $300,000 two years ago.”

“‘We’re actually going to be paying less monthly than we were paying in rent,’ Ferguson said.”

Lucky...lucky...luck...luck...luck...... :lol:

I have said this before. The Americans are positioning themselves to become the most competitive of the Western crowd, once all this blows over.

I have said this before. The Americans are positioning themselves to become the most competitive of the Western crowd, once all this blows over.

That's a good point megaflop. But i wonder if it's going to happen more by accident then design? Just a welcome side effect of the sheisse they have got themselves into at the moment?

To be the most competitive they would have to work like Asians have for the last 30 years and be glad to do so.

No country has ever devalued their way to prosperity.

Their exports may become the most competitive, but the American way of life will no longer be 'non negotiable'.

:blink:

“‘My wife and I started looking when the market started cooling off,’ said Ron Temple. Recently he heard about a program by Riverside Bank of the Islands to sell homes taken back in foreclosure, and now they’re under contract to buy their first home in Lehigh Acres for $198,000 — $10,000 under appraised value and more space than they’d dreamed of having. ‘I keep pinching myself,’ said Temple.”

“The four-bedroom, three-bath house they’re buying in Cape Coral is ideal for them and their two children living at home but would have been out of their range at more than $300,000 two years ago.”

“‘We’re actually going to be paying less monthly than we were paying in rent,’ Ferguson said.”

Lucky...lucky...luck...luck...luck...... :lol:

$198,000 for a four-bedroom, three-bath house. prob on a 1/4 acre plot.

What does £100,000 sterling buy here right now???? yup a 2 bed shoe box in a shit area :lol:

Wonder what £100,000 sterling will buy in the future.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

What does £100,000 sterling buy here right now???? yup a 2 bed shoe box in a shit area :lol:

In my area, you can snap up this little bargain, or two others very much like it.

A specimen of architectural splendor any homeowner would be proud of.

For a grand a month on a 20 yr mortgage!

No thanks. I'll stick with £595 a month rent for a 3 bed cottage.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

It's been a while since I posted.

Ive just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia, Canada.

I can buy for cash a gigantic 3,200 sq foot detached with a pool in a nice little town.

40 years old and living rent free, eh. Not bad. And all thanks to UK properdee.

My alternative is to stay here and never own a decent sized house outright.

Who wants a 200K mortgage round their necks as they enter middle age with rapidly growing kids.

Boll0x to that. Im offski. Its only a matter of waiting for the forms to be processed.

To be the most competitive they would have to work like Asians have for the last 30 years and be glad to do so.

...the Yanks have never been shy of long hours with holiday entitlements so low they would be regarded as a joke in this country ......I thinks it's this country with the Nulabour ethos of 'money for nothing' ..which would struggle.... :ph34r:

It's been a while since I posted.

Ive just got back from a trip to Nova Scotia, Canada.

I can buy for cash a gigantic 3,200 sq foot detached with a pool in a nice little town.

40 years old and living rent free, eh. Not bad. And all thanks to UK properdee.

My alternative is to stay here and never own a decent sized house outright.

Who wants a 200K mortgage round their necks as they enter middle age with rapidly growing kids.

Boll0x to that. Im offski. Its only a matter of waiting for the forms to be processed.

What are the jobs like in that area? How much is average income there?

This is only currently possible because the pound is grossly overvalued, but won't be possible for much longer unless you get out of pounds before it's too late.

a four-bedroom, three-bath house?

they should come to the UK - you get so much more bang for your buck over here.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-498...=1&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-148...=2&tr_t=buy

30242_P-06NC5R_IMG_00.jpg

A HPC classic property!

I assume that the fact that the thing is still listed on Rightmove means that it hasn't sold yet. I wonder why?

Guest Shedfish
30242_P-06NC5R_IMG_00.jpg

A HPC classic property!

I assume that the fact that the thing is still listed on Rightmove means that it hasn't sold yet. I wonder why?

that one's been on for an unfeasibly long time, and the price has stayed exactly the same. in the flesh it looks even more pathetic...the pics don't do it justice. it's in an area of terraces,which are some of the smallest terraces i've seen.. like a model village, and yet they tower over this thing. it really does look like a wendy house.

i can only assume that's not a car in the foreground, but the back door of one propped against next door's wall

that one's been on for an unfeasibly long time, and the price has stayed exactly the same. in the flesh it looks even more pathetic...the pics don't do it justice. it's in an area of terraces,which are some of the smallest terraces i've seen.. like a model village, and yet they tower over this thing. it really does look like a wendy house.

Don't forget the Pendolinos that go tearing past the front door every 15 minutes or so : ;)

Guest Shedfish
Don't forget the Pendolinos that go tearing past the front door every 15 minutes or so : ;)

like the Blues Brothers' flat :lol:

that stationmasters' house sold in the end i think... the features bullets on the EA advert neglected to mention 'easy access to west coast main line' (i.e.less than 3 ft away). i wonder if the buyer has turned into Gollum yet

In my area, you can snap up this little bargain, or two others very much like it.

A specimen of architectural splendor any homeowner would be proud of.

For a grand a month on a 20 yr mortgage!

No thanks. I'll stick with £595 a month rent for a 3 bed cottage.

Do you suppose it comes with a free wife beater top and some broken white goods to dump outside after completion?

1/4 acre's generally thing of the past - 1/6 acre is the more common size now.

Also be aware that the US market has places (e.g. SoCal) where prices are as high as the UK's, it is just that some parts of the USA are cheap. 10 years ago UK housing wasn't that badly priced either, it is just that there has been a bubble in prices here, but the bubble in the USA has been more concentrated (e.g. California, Florida) so there were still areas where housing was cheap, even at the height of the bubble, and these are places where there hasn't really been a crash. Rural areas in the South, and Texas are examples.

In terms of future USA competitiveness it becomes a combination of wage levels and productivity, and the value of the dollar in terms of exports and imports. US workers are still fairly expensive, and health care costs are rising very quickly, even if house prices are falling, so overall worker costs are probably going to stay the same at least in nominal terms, maybe also in real terms, which makes the workers more expensive per worker than China, India, etc. although productivity (GDP/worker) is higher. The falling value of the dollar will mean exports are more competitive, but on the other hand the USA imports 2/3 of its oil and many other natural resources so a falling dollar makes those more expensive, plus adds inflationary pressures to imports from China. If the exports are manufactured goods then productivity gains need to outweigh the increase in the cost of raw material imports. The main export is in services, though, but then the general cost of living (back to the oil import costs) becomes important. So far the USA has managed to cope with both a devaluing dollar and rising oil import costs, so it might manage to remain very competitive. It's hard to say.

In terms of European competitiveness, France and Germany are the most productive countries on earth in terms of GDP per hour worked, they just have more time off. The UK doesn't do too well in terms of GDP per hour worked. This having been said, GDP's a bit of a blunt tool as a lot GDP can be created by you having a car accident (repairs, medical care, insurance claims, legal fees) which is why some suggest the use of other measures.