House Price Crash Forum

This Will Guarantee A Drop In House Prices By 90%+

HOLA441

Chancel Repair Liability

The Church of England prepare to bankrupt a family

The Church of England has succeeded in reactivating a medieval law stating that ownership of a piece of farmland makes a married couple personally responsible for hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of repair to the local church chancel, not to mention 17 years of legal costs, which will leave them with a bill of around £1/2 million.

The Act has been widely criticised as unfair and the Law Society of England and Wales has called for it to be abolished.

This is slightly old news back from February. Its slightly old news but its surprising how few people are aware of it. If you have not seen this before, have a good read through the story. You wont believe what you read.

In this current day it seems totally ludicrous but the shocking aspect of it all is the church's willingness to go along with it. :o

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
when you buy a house one of the searchs is for this. If your worried don't buy a house unless the search says the church confirms your property doesn't need to pay...

Are you sure that standard searches cover this? There are special searches that have to be done by hand to check if you are liable.

What if you already live in a parish covered by this?

Did you read the links and the report where some people were moving into a new house?

A Bamber Bridge couple is furious after being told they may face a hefty bill under a law dating back to medieval times.

Alyson and Paul Heggie, of Langden Crescent, are expecting their second child in eight weeks and, together with their 18-month-old son Joe, were hoping to be settled in their dream home in Brownedge Road in March.

However, they've been told their new house is built on land subject to an ancient law that means medieval St Leonard's Church – more than a mile away in Walton-le-Dale – could claim cash from them towards repairs.

Telesales worker Alyson said: "I am shocked. There is absolutely no chance I will pay anything for the church. I am a non-practising Christian.

"We are still moving in because I don't see why I should have to give up my dream home for the church. But I will fight the law every step of the way."

Chancel repair liability means property on former rectorial land could be liable to church maintenance costs.

Solicitors have stressed it does not mean all Lancashire churches will now serve bills on

parishioners – but they are urging homeowners to be aware of it when moving house.

Preston conveyancing executive Lisa Hodgkinson, of MWR Solicitors, said: "People could buy a house without knowing they could be liable to maintenance costs."

St Leonard's vicar Canon Roy McCullough said: "It's like anything – if you undertake an agreement you have to pay something.

"We would not drive someone from house and home but we would consider claiming money."

A spokesman for the Blackburn Diocese added: "Obviously there has been increased concern because of a recent high profile court case, but in the Church of England in Lancashire any situation would be looked at on a case by case basis.

"But you can never say never when it comes to individual agreements and contracts."

No court cases have been raised in Lancashire – but a Warwickshire couple may have to foot a £500,000 bill.

Link

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

An intelligent person would offer to donate say 25% of the cost in cash to a charity involving the kiddies ,as Phoenix Nights would put it

"I'd love to help the Romanian orphans recieve basic care and attention, but the Church tax comes first, as I've always thought.

I just wish we could afford both but our savings wouldn't cover it and they did say our house could be repossesed"

Edited by maxwell

HOLA449

I'm sure some people who post are living on a different planet. 90% fall and you base this on a few properties that relate to the Church of England. So you really think that a terraced house in the midlands will cost as little as £10,000...if you do then you really need to wake up.

When you hear about a slow down or slump then we're talking about either slow gowth or a small percentage drop of up to 15%. 15% for many people is serious as they have borrowed on 95%-100% mortgages and such a fall will mean that they fall into negative equity.

90% fall would mean a complete meltdown and mass unemployment.....this is unlikely to happen because of recent events.

HOLA4410
I'm sure some people who post are living on a different planet. 90% fall and you base this on a few properties that relate to the Church of England. So you really think that a terraced house in the midlands will cost as little as £10,000...if you do then you really need to wake up.

When you hear about a slow down or slump then we're talking about either slow gowth or a small percentage drop of up to 15%. 15% for many people is serious as they have borrowed on 95%-100% mortgages and such a fall will mean that they fall into negative equity.

90% fall would mean a complete meltdown and mass unemployment.....this is unlikely to happen because of recent events.

I think it was a joke.

HOLA4411
Guest tbatst2000
Chancel Repair Liability

This is slightly old news back from February. Its slightly old news but its surprising how few people are aware of it. If you have not seen this before, have a good read through the story. You wont believe what you read.

In this current day it seems totally ludicrous but the shocking aspect of it all is the church's willingness to go along with it. :o

Um, so the church is behaving just as it always has done historically by making its living by extortion from the people around it, what's so newsworthy about that? It will be news when they stop doing that and start following some of their own teachings. Hanging is definitely too good for them, they should all be nailed to a couple of planks of wood and, ah well, maybe just hang them then.

HOLA4412
Um, so the church is behaving just as it always has done historically by making its living by extortion from the people around it, what's so newsworthy about that? It will be news when they stop doing that and start following some of their own teachings. Hanging is definitely too good for them, they should all be nailed to a couple of planks of wood and, ah well, maybe just hang them then.

He he, yes indeed. I have met many different people in widely varied situations in my life; from talking to pilled-up types in clubs in the 90's through drunk MOD policemen, scientists, even a life-license arsonist :blink: . Of all of these people, so-called 'Christians', are in my experience, some of the most spiteful, unpleasent and indeed least Christian people I have ever met. I should qualify this by meaning the type of s*it that sits on PCC commitees seeing how much they can screw out of some poor couple. Lovely people these 'Christians'.

Edited by vlad the impaler

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Chancel Repair Liability

I can't see why they seem to think there's anything wrong with this? They've been scamming the taxpayers for years and then they are asked to pay out a tiny fraction of what they have received. They knew it was in the deeds all along, but the greedy so-and-so's tried to wriggle out of their responsibilities.

It's not even like it's a lot of money, less than they expect us townies to pay for a studio flat.

Where is the farm? It might be a good buying opportunity for someone...

HOLA4415

We can all be thanful we know what a "Lay Rector" title means; that's the second story I've read on it. It means massive unexpected bills.

If you hadn't read one of these stories and you looked at somewhere with an associated Lay Rector post you'd think "How quaint. That must add to the value of my property."

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

As the bishop acknowledges, it is an anachronism.

Speaking as a long-time PCC member and former church warden, I can only say that I think that the diocese and parish invovled have been pretty cynical, if not downright cruel, about all this. If they can't pay for the building themselves, they need to rent the school hall and worship God there. Let the building crumble and the parishioners wear sackcloth and ashes if they've let their congregation dwindle so much it cant pay for repairs. Going elsewhere for handouts indicates a poor spiritual state IMO, and makes me think the parish concerned is probably highly nominal, i.e. it is not so much Christian as a local historical choral society.

Historically, it probably wasn't such a bad system, even if somewhat bizarre by modern standards.

HOLA4419
As the bishop acknowledges, it is an anachronism.

Speaking as a long-time PCC member and former church warden, I can only say that I think that the diocese and parish invovled have been pretty cynical, if not downright cruel, about all this. If they can't pay for the building themselves, they need to rent the school hall and worship God there. Let the building crumble and the parishioners wear sackcloth and ashes if they've let their congregation dwindle so much it cant pay for repairs. Going elsewhere for handouts indicates a poor spiritual state IMO, and makes me think the parish concerned is probably highly nominal, i.e. it is not so much Christian as a local historical choral society.

Historically, it probably wasn't such a bad system, even if somewhat bizarre by modern standards.

Clearly, the C of E needs the money. Go to Google and key in Metro Centre Church England and you will see why

HOLA4420
Clearly, the C of E needs the money. Go to Google and key in Metro Centre Church England and you will see why

Yes, the CoE, employing many thousands of people, has got a pension fund. The running costs of the CoE - which are pretty steep, given the pensions, the buildings, the wages, the social work, etc, etc - are overwhelmingly supported by its congregations.

HOLA4421
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4422
Guest tbatst2000
So let's hear what you'd do to the present shower for robbing and bankrupting the entire nation.

That's a bit of a non-sequitur. But, I shall rise to the challenge: the only appropriate punishment for all members of NuLabour past an present is an appointment with this little beauty.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
There is an indemnity policy you can buy to cover this.

Once off payment, about £30-100 I think. Property's covered forever then.

And it's cheaper than carrying out the full search to check.

Job's a good 'un

Why even pay £30 indemnity when a gallon of petrol and a box of matches will cost you less than a tenner?

If you can't affotd the upkeep on a medieval church, sell it or give it away ffs. Don't dig up some 1000 year old parchment and use it to f*** over a stranger. What is the church coming to? At this rate it'll be crawling with socially incompetent paedophiles before we know it.