House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
A.steve

Bank Paranoia...

On Sunday I visited my parents... and, like a true absent minded professor, I set off without their anniversary present and with only one debit card in my wallet - having ordered stuff online and left my credit card by my PC.

I *almost* ran out of fuel (Range had said 0 miles for about 5) when I trundled into the motorway filling station. My card was declined... in a very "computer says no" kind of way. No problem says the attendant - use the cash point... this till sometimes plays up... Cashpoint said no... In fact, cash point even refused to tell me my balance.... even though it appeared to accept my PIN.

Bummer - I'd £47.58 in cash - but I'd put £50.68 into my car... I was stuffed.... Having dabbled with the notions of bank conspiracies here, my mind was racing... there was *DEFINITELY* enough in the account to cover my fuel... so something was wrong... I'd ordered a replacement card, but it hadn't arrived... They wouldn't cancel my old one until my new one had been used... surely? Have I been robbed - is this identity theft? If the credit crunch is hurting - maybe a landlord is going to desperate measures to avoid foreclosure? (They've had access to all my details while I've been at work as they've a key to the rental property.) I'm stranded 100 miles from my credit card and all for the need of £3.... Aaagh.... it is times like this one turns to parents - and my mum did a sterling job with some plastic... and I could get back on my way...

I'd managed to almost forget that I'd lost access to my current account... reassured as I was by a bundle of old fashioned notes my Dad insisted I take (which, I was reassured, he could get from a cash machine without a glitch.)

The problem turned out to be that some numpty at Natwest has instigated the policy of cancelling damaged cards once new ones have been dispatched... and mine either got lost or delayed in the post. No conspiracy - unless, of course, you consider it a conspiracy to put terminally stupid people in charge of operational policy at banks. There is, however, one last morsel of intrigue (aside from the shock to ones self at making "help ma, no money" phone calls as a grown adult.) When I told Natwest that I'd problems making a payment - the woman sounded entirely unsurprised - as if she'd had to tell loads of people already... Sunday - what time (For me it was just before noon - but I was really vague when I answered her)

"We have had some technical problems which have taken down the whole RBS network" - she said - or something like that.

Now, if the network she's on about is SWIFT - which I think is the only one which makes sense - then I've a hunch I've some insight. The SWIFT specs bang on-and-on about how the physical network is super-ultra-reliable... and, while archaic in design, there's not much to go wrong with the software. This leaves me with only one idea... I've just been told that RBS ran out of liquidity to pay out at non RBS owned cash points... i.e. other banks today have been telling RBS "Sorry, no, your card has been declined because your overdraft limit has been reached." I wonder what they charge for that kind of letter - LOL!

Scary stuff eh? I've learned my lesson. I'll be carrying a bit more in cash for quite a while... lets just hope petrol doesn't go up too much... I'd hate to destroy my sartorial elegance by having to walk around with a buldging wad in my pocket - just in case.

:-S

Guest Skint Academic
"We have had some technical problems which have taken down the whole RBS network" - she said - or something like that.

Yes something like this happened to me last year with RBS.

I have an overdraft left over from university. My pay was put into it and then the overdraft was removed without any warning. This left me with no money for the rest of the month. Apparently it was a widespread glitch. I then had to reapply for the overdraft and that took about a couple of weeks.

In the meantime I went off, got a loan from someone else to force myself to pay off my two overdrafts in a year. My last payment is in a few days time. And it would have worked had I not been ripped off by amateur BTL landlords. But after that experience, I don't want to ever be reliant upon an overdraft again.

I don't feel dressed unless I've got at least £200 in my wallet.

I used to be the same way but the g/f has now trained me into only carrying about 100 quid in cash. She lives on CC and pays off in full each month - probably makes sense until you need to fill the car with petrol and the computer says no...

FFS, Lloyds TSB just informed me that they were switching me away from Visa to Mastercard. Of course, no notice - new card will come into effect on delivery (they have too much trust in Royal Mail). Welcome to the Banana Republic of Britain.

Guest Shedfish

as a general observation, i'm noticing interest payments on savings are consistently a couple of days late, and BACS between banks taking 10-12 days to clear

as a general observation, i'm noticing interest payments on savings are consistently a couple of days late, and BACS between banks taking 10-12 days to clear

I've noticed that too. Would be interesting to know the inside story on that one.

HSBC have lost the last two sets of new credit cards they were supposed to be delivering to me to replace my old card - which ran out in July ffs :lol:

Still, the inaction caused me to look into better options, namely the Morgan Stanley 3% cashback one (although it's only 0.5% now)

I haven't noticed any slowdowns with BACS - still the standard 3 day loss of interest jobby. Ten days would royally pish me off - would probably push me overdrawn on an average month in fact. For someone with a fat STR pile that could run into hundreds of pounds of interest lost. Although I suppose a CHAPS transaction would be more suitable for transferring STR amounts of money.

Edited by christh

Perhaps it is me with the paranoia, but A+L site is down today.

It is interesting that this has happened on the 1st of the month - the time to withdraw money from their direct saver without taking a hit on the interest!

It is interesting that this has happened on the 1st of the month - the time to withdraw money from their direct saver without taking a hit on the interest!

I noticed that the Nationwide and Abbey sites are absolutely crawling today. I mean really really slow loading. Either that or my ISP are being rubbish.

On Sunday I visited my parents... and, like a true absent minded professor, I set off without their anniversary present and with only one debit card in my wallet - having ordered stuff online and left my credit card by my PC.

I *almost* ran out of fuel (Range had said 0 miles for about 5) when I trundled into the motorway filling station. My card was declined... in a very "computer says no" kind of way. No problem says the attendant - use the cash point... this till sometimes plays up... Cashpoint said no... In fact, cash point even refused to tell me my balance.... even though it appeared to accept my PIN.

Bummer - I'd £47.58 in cash - but I'd put £50.68 into my car... I was stuffed.... Having dabbled with the notions of bank conspiracies here, my mind was racing... there was *DEFINITELY* enough in the account to cover my fuel... so something was wrong... I'd ordered a replacement card, but it hadn't arrived... They wouldn't cancel my old one until my new one had been used... surely? Have I been robbed - is this identity theft? If the credit crunch is hurting - maybe a landlord is going to desperate measures to avoid foreclosure? (They've had access to all my details while I've been at work as they've a key to the rental property.) I'm stranded 100 miles from my credit card and all for the need of £3.... Aaagh.... it is times like this one turns to parents - and my mum did a sterling job with some plastic... and I could get back on my way...

I'd managed to almost forget that I'd lost access to my current account... reassured as I was by a bundle of old fashioned notes my Dad insisted I take (which, I was reassured, he could get from a cash machine without a glitch.)

The problem turned out to be that some numpty at Natwest has instigated the policy of cancelling damaged cards once new ones have been dispatched... and mine either got lost or delayed in the post. No conspiracy - unless, of course, you consider it a conspiracy to put terminally stupid people in charge of operational policy at banks. There is, however, one last morsel of intrigue (aside from the shock to ones self at making "help ma, no money" phone calls as a grown adult.) When I told Natwest that I'd problems making a payment - the woman sounded entirely unsurprised - as if she'd had to tell loads of people already... Sunday - what time (For me it was just before noon - but I was really vague when I answered her)

Now, if the network she's on about is SWIFT - which I think is the only one which makes sense - then I've a hunch I've some insight. The SWIFT specs bang on-and-on about how the physical network is super-ultra-reliable... and, while archaic in design, there's not much to go wrong with the software. This leaves me with only one idea... I've just been told that RBS ran out of liquidity to pay out at non RBS owned cash points... i.e. other banks today have been telling RBS "Sorry, no, your card has been declined because your overdraft limit has been reached." I wonder what they charge for that kind of letter - LOL!

Scary stuff eh? I've learned my lesson. I'll be carrying a bit more in cash for quite a while... lets just hope petrol doesn't go up too much... I'd hate to destroy my sartorial elegance by having to walk around with a buldging wad in my pocket - just in case.

:-S

I knew there was a problem when I couldn't log in to my Natwest online account on Friday :( You should read my posts, Steve! :angry:

Suspect a lot of people resolved to reduce their exposure following the Northern Rock thing and were waiting for the first of the month to avoid the interest penalty.

:lol:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-lo...mp;in_page_id=9

Card provider runs out of plastic

Alan O'Sullivan, Financial Mail

30 September 2007

Vote | Deals

Morgan Stanley customers have been kept waiting for weeks for new cards - because the bank's supplier has run out of plastic.

Same with Halifax, it took me 4 weeks to get a new card after a cash machine very rudely stole my last one. I was fobbed off with excuses too...

Guest Shedfish

been trying out of curiosity to login to A&L a couple of times today.no success. i have 10 quid in there (withdrew the lot the other week)

It's not just damaged cards, it's ones that expire normally as well. I had a few problems with my card being declined until I discovered they'd changed the expiry date on my card to 2010 ONE MONTH ahead of actually even posting the new card! :blink: