House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

2p-a-litre Tax Hike On Petrol (monday)

Don't know but even without the tax hike, petrol is 7-8p/litre more than it was this time last year when it fell in the autumn. When does that show up in the CPI stats? Or do we get hedonistic adjustment for driving more efficient cars? ;)

Don't know but even without the tax hike, petrol is 7-8p/litre more than it was this time last year when it fell in the autumn. When does that show up in the CPI stats? Or do we get hedonistic adjustment for driving more efficient cars? ;)

It fell in autumn last year because crude fell back to $55 a barrel, Friday it reached $85 a barrel, this will add 2/3p on top of what we pay now + the 2p coming on Monday, in October expect to pay £1.03p average a litre, Brown would be an **** to call an election in the next few weeks he knows whats coming, he's no fool. Just imagine if the pound fell back to 1.5 against the dollar, we'd be paying £1.15 a litre, thats when the truckers and farmers kick off.

Edited by Jimmy2Times

i'm sure there is a rule stating that any price increases outside control of the government e.g. fuel, food, imports are not included - this removes pretty much everything and makes one wonder what the point of the CPI is

Not just taxes and petrol going up.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle2557070.ece

September 30, 2007

Warning over winter hike in energy bills

Utilities firms haven’t cut prices as much as they should this year, and now bills could be heading up again

Ali Hussain

Energy bills could rise by 10% over the next six months, even though firms have failed to pass on all of last year’s fall in fuel prices.

i'm sure there is a rule stating that any price increases outside control of the government e.g. fuel, food, imports are not included - this removes pretty much everything and makes one wonder what the point of the CPI is

The ONS brieifing makes no mention of this (I'm assuming you mean within the control of the government)

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/cpibrief0907.pdf

Section 5 just talks about overall rise in pump prices.

Tax is going up a further 2p in April 08 as the government catches up. So that's 4p in six months.

September 30, 2007

Utilities firms haven’t cut prices as much as they should this year, and now bills could be heading up again

Ali Hussain

Energy bills could rise by 10% over the next six months, even though firms have failed to pass on all of last year’s fall in fuel prices.

10% is what Mr Morrison said food prices will rise by (I think over the same timescale).

I remenber our gang, kids age 9 or 10 trying to get together 12p so we could get half a gallon for a moped we found circa 30 odd years ago.

Thats inflation !

I remember filling the car up for 20 quid.

....actually that was yesterday and I'm in the USA. Sorry! :unsure:

The thought of visiting the petrol station used to fill me with horror back home but it's almost enjoyable here. Fortunately Brown is using the tax wisely, otherwise you'd have cause to complain.

Probably not ?

US fuel prices are getting higher. But the FED cut interest rates on the basis of market pain.

So best not to hope for CPI increases as a basis for interest rate decisions.

Are we in the UK due for market pain like the US? Yes its likely, so expect UK to cut rates. We all pay through inflation in the future.

Edited by notanewmember

September 30, 2007

Ali Hussain

This combinend with small rises in fuel , food etc will be the equivalent of another IR rise to the masses

Guest mSparks

#1. CPI excludes fuel and food, because food and fuel are so unstable they are not good guides by which to set policy

#2. Oil is not actually that expensive atm, $ denominated oil is, many countries are no longer trading oil in $'s they're all switching to Euro's

Diesel is costing me about 80p a liter. But I usually fill up in the Republic of Ireland when I am working near the border with Northern Ireland. So Gordon's tax wont affect me. But the pound is down agains the euro, that effects the price of my diesel :angry:

It fell in autumn last year because crude fell back to $55 a barrel, Friday it reached $85 a barrel, this will add 2/3p on top of what we pay now + the 2p coming on Monday, in October expect to pay £1.03p average a litre, Brown would be an **** to call an election in the next few weeks he knows whats coming, he's no fool. Just imagine if the pound fell back to 1.5 against the dollar, we'd be paying £1.15 a litre, thats when the truckers and farmers kick off.

Very true. I consider my self a very green person and would if I could use public transport, but lets face it public transport can be very expensive, unreliable and sometimes not possible. I recycle, keep chickens which eat all my waste food, grow most of my own veg and walk or cycle locally....but without my car I'm screwed. I can't work so why am I being punished. It's a tax I can't avoid.

I like to get away to the peaks or lakes to do a weekends camping/walking but this is simply impossible without a car. The increasing cost of fuel and running of a car makes such trips more expensive and as a result I'm going away less frequently. I work hard so I can enjoy what little free time I get and not being able to go away is an infringement on my freedom to travel. The are basically pricing many people off the road, and making money for doing very little.

About a month ago I took a trip up to Scotland and an open ended rail ticket from Nottingham to Glasgow worked out at about £160.00 return. I can drive all the way to fort William and back for less than £80.00....and fly for as little as £30.00. Arguably you can fix your dates and times of travel and book a month in advance and a train travel is very economical....but this isn't always convenient.

I'm considering buying a new Land Rover and filling it full of Wholesale Sunflower Oil, there's simply no green argument for taxing fuel at all.

Do you think Gordon Brown will announce his intention to call an election on the Monday in an attempt to wall paper over the impact of this issue ?

I remenber our gang, kids age 9 or 10 trying to get together 12p so we could get half a gallon for a moped we found circa 30 odd years ago.

Thats inflation !

Edit: http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:pYO3x...;cd=1&gl=uk second chart shows doubling of pump price 74 - 75

I can remember passing my test, buying a second Ford Cortina Mk1 for £150 and petrol went

up I think to a massive 50p per gallon.

Soon afterwards I was issued with petrol coupons which were never used.

I seem to recall thinking just my luck to pass my test and motor cars are finished!