House Price Crash Forum

Hpc.co.uk Newsblog Twisting The Facts.

frugalista

HOLA441

Here's an entry from the HPC.co.uk newsblog, attached to a Daily Mail article.

Immigrants were given the keys to 10,000 council houses last year. The Government figures reveal the pressures which immigration is putting on housing and public services. Foreign nationals are legally entitled to social housing. Last year only 25,596 new social housing homes were built. Just a minute isn't 10,000 divided by 25,000 roughly 40%.!!!!!!!!!

So what, does HPC.co.uk think 40% of council houses are being given over to immigrants? There are something like 2-3 million units of social housing in the UK, about 200,000 of these become available every year. Shame HPC.co.uk didn't quote another part of the Daily Mail article

The figures, released in a written reply to Tory MP James Clappison, represent around 5 per cent of all lettings to new social housing tenants last year.

So immigrants are actually being given 5% of all social housing lettings which become available. But, no, HPC.co.uk would prefer to spin it as 40%. No wonder people elsewhere on the internet suspect HPC.co.uk has a far right agenda.

frug.

HOLA442
HOLA443

<snip>

No wonder people elsewhere on the internet suspect HPC.co.uk has a far right agenda.

Erm... :blink: ... the News Blog is added to and commented on by PEOPLE, not "HPC.co.uk". Forum posters get their facts wrong, as do those posting news links. Don't think it's some sort of scam - it's a forum, full of public opinion. And as we know, a lot of people are wrong a lot of the time.

HOLA444

So what, does HPC.co.uk think 40% of council houses are being given over to immigrants? There are something like 2-3 million units of social housing in the UK, about 200,000 of these become available every year. Shame HPC.co.uk didn't quote another part of the Daily Mail article

So immigrants are actually being given 5% of all social housing lettings which become available. But, no, HPC.co.uk would prefer to spin it as 40%. No wonder people elsewhere on the internet suspect HPC.co.uk has a far right agenda.

frug.

If your going to come back and quote figures could you at least be a little more precise with your figures. Only a million difference. What is it 2 million or three million??. So do immigrants represent 5% of the population in need of social housing and more critically are they depriving any local population of that social housing and receiving preferential treatment?

It seems you are rather hypocritical to suggest a chosen agenda or just have chosen to massage the figures yourself.

Edited by vfr

HOLA445
If your going to come back and quote figures could you at least be a little more precise with your figures. Only a million difference. What is it 2 million or three million??. So do immigrants represent 5% of the population in need of social housing and more critically are they depriving any local population of that social housing and receiving preferential treatment?

It seems you are rather hypocritical to suggest a chosen agenda or just have chosen to massage the figures yourself.

I couldn't find the exact figure so had to approximate it from percentages.

20 million households -- 10-15% are social housing -> 2-3 million units of social housing. Please feel free to correct this if you think it is wildly wrong.

I don't know if immigrants represent 5% of the population in need of social housing but I do know that the writer of the newsblog entry spun it so that it overstated the proportion by 8 times.

frug.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I hate all this "let me tell you what this article is eluding to, in case your a dim wit" crap. Its your opinion, I can form my own opinion thank you once I've read the article.

Might I add, I was very good at drawing nudes by the age of nine, due to the abundant content of semi clad ladies adorned in pink underwear in the Gratton's Catalogue. But that is only my opinion, and I'm obviously biased in regard to that viewpoint. :ph34r:

HOLA449
I hate all this "let me tell you what this article is eluding to, in case your a dim wit" crap. Its your opinion, I can form my own opinion thank you once I've read the article.

alluding to

Might I add, I was very good at drawing nudes by the age of nine, due to the abundant content of semi clad ladies adorned in pink underwear in the Gratton's Catalogue. But that is only my opinion, and I'm obviously biased in regard to that viewpoint. :ph34r:

It's all done in the best possible taste. :)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The Lib Dems say there are 1.6m families on waiting lists for social housing - compared to 1m in 1997.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6691927.stm

So it looks like preferential treatment to me .

1.6 million people waiting represents 2.66% of the population. 200,000 available. 10,000 represents 3.4% of the immigrant population in any one year based on teh figures below 292,000 'net immigration. .

'

5% given to immigrants. so 3400 were given in preference to immigrants.

The above are global figures and rather shockingly as most EU nationals are NOT entitled to social housing, over a two year period 27,000 had child benefits approved so would be eligible for social housing. Add immigrants from outside the EU such as alylum seekers 11000 and others eligble I cannot find any figures that would suggest more than 50,000 immigrants would be eligible for social housing as 90% seem to be from the EU. So eligble immigrants representing less than 0.1% of population, took 5% of available social housing. Remember to be eligible you must be on a waiting list. Shocking unless of course alarge percentage say 50% of the 1.6 million on the waiting list are immigrants :blink:

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/outline_of_the_problem.asp

Immigration is now on an unprecedented scale. The Asians from East Africa who arrived in the mid 1970s amounted to 27,000. We are now taking more than 10 times that number every year. Indeed, net foreign immigration reached 292,000 in 2005 (of which just 11,000 was accounted for by the net rise in asylum claimants).

HOLA4412

I don't know if immigrants represent 5% of the population in need of social housing but I do know that the writer of the newsblog entry spun it so that it overstated the proportion by 8 times. [frugalista]

The newsblog poster wasn't referring to any proportion of the population in need of social housing, but to the proportion of new build social housing effectively taken to house foreign nationals.