House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Advice Wanted On Dealing With Letting Agents

I have been looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom house, or even a flat, to rent since June. I am having no luck. I have been going to letting agents every day and I still cannot find a thing.

I have begun to think that the agents are just taking the piss with me. I book an appointment to see a house, they say the earliest appointment is 4 to 5 days away and on the morning when I am supposed to go they ring up and say someone else has taken it. It has got to the point now where I, as I am in their offices everyday, demanding to see a property ASAP often within 24-36 hours. This is the situation with a property that I was supposed to see today but, again, this morning they rang up and said someone else had taken it - this is galling as I often the only sod in their offices, I have only ever seen one other couple in there.

It has got to the point where I am now thinking of offering them 500 quid cash to the first letting agent who finds me a place to rent.

Is it always like this? What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

What am I doing wrong? Any tips?

Maybe try taking off the mask! That may help! :ph34r:

Assuming that it isn't *actually* something personal going on, it sounds like there must be an under supply of properties to let in the area. It was like this when I first moved to Brighton in 2000 - if you didn't have your deposit in your pocket - in cash - at the viewing - then chances are the property would be gone by the time you'd even got to the cash machine and back! It's not as bad as that in Brighton any more, at least as far as I can tell...

Corrupt as it sounds, looks to me like a bribe could be a realistic option... I wouldn't offer 500 notes though, sounds too much...

M.

Sir,

Why are you going through a letting agent?

I've always had more luck looking for places to rent in the local free-ads, work bulletin boards, asking around local shops/pubs, etc.

From the tenant's point of view, letting agents add absolutely f***-all value to the whole process. Another link to break in the chain.

btp

I am doing everything - newspaper ads, newsagents windows, hospital bulletin boards, friends, etc, etc.

I had a classic with a letting agent on Friday - on the way to view a property my gear box jammed, ended up 3 hours waiting for the AA to tow me to a garage. In the meantime I missed the appointment to view a house, the agency left a message on my voicemail asking where I was whilst I was talking to the AA but they left no number, the call back option then went to a number that would not accept incoming calls and when I tried to find the letting agent's number it was not listed.

Eventually, as I have internet access on my phone, I managed to find their number - under a different name - rang them up and explained about the car problem, got a VERY curt response and before I could ask for another appointment the phone was put down on me. Anyhow, I have popped my contact details in the letterbox of the house I was going to view to see if I get a response from the LL.

I can't believe, IMPO, how crap a many of the LLs I have met are.

Guest pioneer31
Sir,

Why are you going through a letting agent?

I've always had more luck looking for places to rent in the local free-ads, work bulletin boards, asking around local shops/pubs, etc.

From the tenant's point of view, letting agents add absolutely f***-all value to the whole process. Another link to break in the chain.

btp

So true.

The £100+ admin fee plus searches and references is a complete joke. They treat you like a bleedin criminal..........and charge you for it!

Depends on where you are looking to rent. I've been renting in London for 4 years. Every time I have gone to view a place, I have taken with me £300 cash to secure the propery if I liked it. Often you will bump into the previous potential tenants on their way out (EAs do this to pressure you even more).

Once I saw a flat at 6pm (it had just come on and I was first to see it apparently). I called back at 10am next day (as soon as EA opened) and was told it had gone overnight, with someone taking it just on the description (without seeing it).

When we were moving out of a flat we were renting, the EA took someone round the day BEFORE we confirmed we were ending the tenancy. I only found this out cos the new tenant let it slip when he came round for his "second" viewing. The reason LL was so keen to get a new tenant was because he attempted to use this fact to enter us into a bidding war over how much we would pay in rent.

You need to make a relationship with the EA. unfortuanatelty, you need to become their "mate" Amazing isn't it, one of the only "jobs" where the customer has to beg you to give you money for doing nothing! I even had to offer to go round to view flats on my own on one occasion (to save the EA's time and effort!)

nobs