House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

markinspain

Slave Labour Experience At Close Quarters.

I got chatting to the one of the African gardeners that does the work for our communal complex this evening and he told me about his wages. He gets paid a measley 30 Euros a DAY by his company; a day which begins at 9am and can carry on up until 9 or 10pm at night with only an hour for lunch, and with the threat of being sacked at the drop of a hat. The poor chap got left on his own with a dysfunctional mower and no opportunity to go and by some food for tonight. I took pity on him and made him a couple of cheese and tomato sarnies to keep him going but it made me think how many more people are being exploited in this way?

You hear stories in the papers about exploitation all the time but I suppose until you have first hand experience, it doesn't really hit home, just as people turn over TV channels when there are pictures of people starving.

What made me think though, is what happens if all Europe's and America's well paid jobs disappear into the ether? Will this be the future for us all, scratching around for scraps, with billions of others?

Guest AuntJess
I got chatting to the one of the African gardeners that does the work for our communal complex this evening and he told me about his wages. He gets paid a measley 30 Euros a DAY by his company; a day which begins at 9am and can carry on up until 9 or 10pm at night with only an hour for lunch, and with the threat of being sacked at the drop of a hat. The poor chap got left on his own with a dysfunctional mower and no opportunity to go and by some food for tonight. I took pity on him and made him a couple of cheese and tomato sarnies to keep him going but it made me think how many more people are being exploited in this way?

You hear stories in the papers about exploitation all the time but I suppose until you have first hand experience, it doesn't really hit home, just as people turn over TV channels when there are pictures of people starving.

What made me think though, is what happens if all Europe's and America's well paid jobs disappear into the ether? Will this be the future for us all, scratching around for scraps, with billions of others?

You can thank Gordy for this I reckon. Ticing people over to undercut wages here and paying them too little to live on. One thing overlooked is that it costs a lot to live here.

You can thank Gordy for this I reckon. Ticing people over to undercut wages here and paying them too little to live on. One thing overlooked is that it costs a lot to live here.

Oooh Jess, you forgot to take your evening primrose this morning dear. markinspain is Mark In Spain. As much as I'd love to agree with you, I don't think this one is Gordy's fault.

Guest AuntJess
Oooh Jess, you forgot to take your evening primrose this morning dear. markinspain is Mark In Spain. As much as I'd love to agree with you, I don't think this one is Gordy's fault.

Oops! :lol::lol:

Memo to self: check out the location of poster.

You would think that "Euro's" would have given it away.

As to whether that is the future, it is a worry that we buy things at an incredibly cheap price (even in "rip off Britain") compared to the amount of man hours that most go into production, storage, transport, etc. As wages in these cheaper labour markets go up, there can only be one inevitable out come unless technology can overcome some pretty major obstacles (which is of course possible).

Guest AuntJess
Oops! :lol::lol:

Memo to self: check out the location of poster.

Serve me right for trying to do my sudoku and post on here.

PS EP isn't for the brain: you must mean Ginko Biloba. :D

Crap, course it is. That man is the AntiChrist and is responsible for everything bad that happens in this world.

Crap, course it is. That man is the AntiChrist and is responsible for everything bad that happens in this world.

Tell that to Bwuno. He's blaming the jewwwwwwwwwwwws for everything at the moment.

Then stop letting them come in i say.

We can not feed the world and need to look after ourselves if we are going to be any help to anyone.

Then stop letting them come in i say.

We can not feed the world and need to look after ourselves if we are going to be any help to anyone.

You let enough of them in, there will be an uprising, and they will all come, forcing us out.

That's about what? £211 quid a week? That's a fortune for most Africans. Hardly slave labour.

Presumably you'll be raising this "slavery" with all the other complex residents and upping your monthly service charges?

Is there no minimum wage in Spain?

That's about what? £211 quid a week? That's a fortune for most Africans. Hardly slave labour.

Presumably you'll be raising this "slavery" with all the other complex residents and upping your monthly service charges?

Is there no minimum wage in Spain?

Sorry, 150 Euros a week is not £211 is it? It's about £100 for a 50 hour a week - so £2.00 an hour for a physical job too!

The point about the maintenance charges, is that we pay the company the going rate and they use cheap labour to make extra profits.

I have no idea if there is a minimum wage but Spain is still very much a cash based economy so I doubt if that would have any bearing on the wages.

My original point was that if there are all these millions of workers from Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe who are willing to do menial work for these sort of amounts of money, what happens when all the middle and high end jobs disappear?

Sorry, 150 Euros a week is not £211 is it? It's about £100 for a 50 hour a week - so £2.00 an hour for a physical job too!

The point about the maintenance charges, is that we pay the company the going rate and they use cheap labour to make extra profits.

I have no idea if there is a minimum wage but Spain is still very much a cash based economy so I doubt if that would have any bearing on the wages.

My original point was that if there are all these millions of workers from Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe who are willing to do menial work for these sort of amounts of money, what happens when all the middle and high end jobs disappear?

OK I got my exchange rate the wrong way around. £100 a week is a bit of a pi$$ take but it's still a fortune for most Africans. Never mind the middle and high end jobs how about the local gardeners this immigrant is undercutting?

SO you wouldn't be happy paying more then?

Welcome to the globalised economy.

OK I got my exchange rate the wrong way around. £100 a week is a bit of a pi$$ take but it's still a fortune for most Africans. Never mind the middle and high end jobs how about the local gardeners this immigrant is undercutting?

SO you wouldn't be happy paying more then?

Welcome to the globalised economy.

You´re right about the undercutting which is obviously holding wages down as per the idea of the global economy. It would be a fortune to the Africans if they were living in their own country, but they have the same expenses as eveyone else while they are in Spain. What I believe from this company is that the Spanish workers are paid normal rates for normal hours and give all the crap work to the Africans who have no choice but to work longer and harder.

You´re also right that we do not wish to pay more, mainly because it would not result in a corresponding increase in work, only more profits for the company.

Incidently, if you lost your job SC, would you be confident in finding another job at the same rate with the same terms and conditions? I couldn't which was one of the reasons I decided to emigrate.

You´re right about the undercutting which is obviously holding wages down as per the idea of the global economy. It would be a fortune to the Africans if they were living in their own country, but they have the same expenses as eveyone else while they are in Spain. What I believe from this company is that the Spanish workers are paid normal rates for normal hours and give all the crap work to the Africans who have no choice but to work longer and harder.

You´re also right that we do not wish to pay more, mainly because it would not result in a corresponding increase in work, only more profits for the company.

Incidently, if you lost your job SC, would you be confident in finding another job at the same rate with the same terms and conditions? I couldn't which was one of the reasons I decided to emigrate.

Depends how he's living I guess.

I guess the residents need to get another contractor in then.

Yes at the moment as my skills are currently in demand. However I do not support mass immigration as I believe it runs contrary to the interests of the nation.