House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
JumboMills

How Do The Bbc Get Away With It?

It's like drinking a bottle of white lightning and going on a merry-go-round! One day they are saying there might be a 'crash', then prices are 'slowing', then 'soaring'... ad infinitum.

It's an absolute joke. Where is the decent journalism? Their website is full of contradictions. To think we actually have to pay a license fee for this!

It's like drinking a bottle of white lightning and going on a merry-go-round! One day they are saying there might be a 'crash', then prices are 'slowing', then 'soaring'... ad infinitum.

It's an absolute joke. Where is the decent journalism? Their website is full of contradictions. To think we actually have to pay a license fee for this!

RFD posted a good topic on the BBC licence fee in the off topic forum He is right. The BBC is now a complete joke as far as I'm concerned. Apart from a couple of decent programmes (Tribe being one of them imo), the output of the BBC does not equate to the notion of a licence fee. AS RFD succinctly put it, buying a TV licence fee is akin to getting a £130 fine straight away and for what - to be brainwashed? I used to listen to Radio 4's Today in the morning - now I cannot stand the London metropolitan PC bias of it all. Those condescending presenters think they're important people and think an interview is more like some kind of LOVE-IN with whatever politician/celebrity/model/Kate moss/the Doherty junkie. There is hardly any incisive journalism anymore to be found on the BBC. For that they'd need a Pilger type journalist. The BBC fell apart to me after the whitewash that was the Hutton report. I would respect the BBC more if they didn't have the gall to expect me to pay a law enforceable licence fee.

The BBC always likes to boast about "the unique way it is funded".

Unique is one way to describe it.

I remember one ex-BBC jorno who countered these arguments by saying that you still pay for ITV etc indirectly due to the increased costs of goods as a result of advertising. Good argument except for two inconvenient facts.

1. I can choose to buy most of those goods or not.

2. At least that system is not regressive.

A guaranteed source of funding simply results in a bloated civil service culture ignorant of the real world.

Yeah, Sky is much better! oh, hang on... well at least it's cheaper! Ah, nevemind.

Get rid of the BBC and you'll miss it. Don't watch it much, but still think it's worth the license fee for Radio and interwebery.

Yeah, Sky is much better! oh, hang on... well at least it's cheaper! Ah, nevemind.

Get rid of the BBC and you'll miss it. Don't watch it much, but still think it's worth the license fee for Radio and interwebery.

Its not worth pi***ng on. The BBC are a shambles.

Yes, the Rupert Murdoch corporation is much better and excellent value :P

At least you can cancel it if you want (and I did).

We don't need to get rid of it, they just need adverts ;)

Guest pioneer31

I listened to their Moneybox programme the other day. What tripe.

It was full of contradictions and misinformed views. VI's blaming immigration and all the usual myths bandied around about supply and demand. Then Roger Bootle was interviewed............ <_<

The BBC's business web page often has contradicting stories at the same time! Appauling.

At least with SKY you can take it or leave it. We are forced to pay for the BBC, which in the digital age, is unnaceptable.

The most crazy thing is you in the uk pay for these programmes to be made,

we then get them over here in nz about two months later and pay no license fee whatsoever.

Apparently they tried charging a tv license years ago and the people revoked and en masse

didn't pay a cent. So the Government scrapped it.

Maybe Gordon will ?

:lol:

The BBC's business web page often has contradicting stories at the same time! Appauling.

At least with SKY you can take it or leave it. We are forced to pay for the BBC, which in the digital age, is unnaceptable.

The standards the BBC set for its website is very low - monkeys and peanuts spring to mind. They also go for quantity rather than quality.

They basically print business related press releases as news items - hence the contradictions.

There is very little investigative journalism - just monkeys on keyboards for the most part.

BBC1 output I agree is mostly tripe but then it has to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get the ratings . Where it does excel is in great off the wall series and documentaries usually buried on the digital channels - last Saturday's documentary on Factory records was superb but screened on BBC4 - probably only a few hundred people got to see it - meanwhile Dale Winton was holding court on primetime BBC1

Worth keeping the Beeb, for comedians like Robert Peston. Peston is still getting a pasting on his blog. Its rare a journo falls from grace so spectacularly. This ought to be "news" in itself but it won't get reported by the Beeb.

BBC1 output I agree is mostly tripe but then it has to appeal to the lowest common denominator to get the ratings . Where it does excel is in great off the wall series and documentaries usually buried on the digital channels - last Saturday's documentary on Factory records was superb but screened on BBC4 - probably only a few hundred people got to see it - meanwhile Dale Winton was holding court on primetime BBC1

Agreed on the Factory records programme. Also on BBC4 on Monday was a programme about Iraq (Iraq in Fragments: Storyville) - again superb. However, i would be quite prepared to pay subscription to see these excellent programmes - in the same way as I am prepared to pay for a dvd.

I'm a big fan of the BBC.

I only really listen to the radio (R3, R4 and 5Live) as I work from home half the time and also spend a lot of time in hotel rooms. Unlike other people here, I find the quality of the radio journalism to be high.

On top of this you get all those TV channels which I very rarely watch. (Only really watch Sky football.)

All for the cost of a weekend newspaper or two. Brilliant value. No adverts either.

The trouble is, most people on here don't actually want balanced journalism. They want journalism that sucks up to their point of view. When a BBC programme offers airtime to the other view in the interests of balance, you regard this as bias.

One day the barbarians will tear down the Beeb, and as our lives become filled with TalkSport, ITV and SkyOne-style media we'll look at the rubble and think: "!Oh god, what have we done?"

Forget blinkin' HPI for a moment, and think about the BBC's commitment to the arts and the cultural life of this country.

Anyway, this is pointless. There's too much philistinism here to understand what I'm trying to say. I could understand it more if it was expensive, but at £11 or so a month, what a great bargain. My monthly satellite TV bill is 4 times more than that for a product that's 95% junk TV.

Anyway, this is pointless. There's too much philistinism here to understand what I'm trying to say. I could understand it more if it was expensive, but at £11 or so a month, what a great bargain. My monthly satellite TV bill is 4 times more than that for a product that's 95% junk TV.

BBC is 95% junk too.

With Sky, you don't pay the bill you get cut off.

With normal TV, you don't pay the license fee, and you get a few threats. Whoopee....You still get to watch ITV or Freeview even the BBC ;)

The BBC is sh1t- plain & simple- no one watches more than 1 or 2 shows on its main channels- its fookin dumbed dwn sh1t and the worst thing about it is we have to pay for it :angry:

"We get from time to time people saying you're biased in favour of the Labour Party. Every time I ask people - show me a case of that bias, explain to me where we got it wrong and why what we said was so unfair - they seem to be unable to do so", Andrew Marr, May 11th, 2001.

"The BBC is not impartial or neutral. It's a publicly funded, urban organisation with an abnormally large number of young people, ethnic minorities and gay people. It has a liberal bias not so much a party-political bias. It is better expressed as a cultural liberal bias", Andrew Marr, the Daily Mail, Oct 21st, 2006.

"It's not a conspiracy. It's visceral. They think they are on the middle ground", Jeff Randall, former BBC Business Editor, in The Observer, Jan 15th, 2006.

"The idea of a tax on the ownership of a television belongs in the 1950s. Why not tax people for owning a washing machine to fund the manufacture of Persil?", Jeremy Paxman, James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture, Aug 24th, 2007.

"People who know a lot more than I do may be right when they claim that [global warming] is the consequence of our own behaviour. I assume that this is why the BBC's coverage of the issue abandoned the pretence of impartiality long ago", Jeremy Paxman, Media Guardian, Jan 31st, 2007.

Way past time for the BBC to go subscription.

BTW I refuse to pay the TV-Tax.

I really like the BBC. With all its faults it is still far better than any other TV channel/network. I'd pay the license fee just for Radio 4 but do agree that it is an outmoded form of funding, although I much prefer it to having adverts.

It was shameful how Campbell and Blair had it castrated over its coverage of Iraq/Hutton/David Kelly etc.

I really like the BBC. With all its faults it is still far better than any other TV channel/network. I'd pay the license fee just for Radio 4 but do agree that it is an outmoded form of funding, although I much prefer it to having adverts.

It was shameful how Campbell and Blair had it castrated over its coverage of Iraq/Hutton/David Kelly etc.

When it comes to programmes mostly documentaries with no political slant then the BBC can be great i.e. Nature Programmes, Tribe etc. Political documentaries i.e. Iraq War etc are far better on C4.

BBC makes the odd good Comedy i.e. The Office but tends to lag behind other networks like HBO with programmes like Curb Your Enthusiasm and C4 with Peep Show.

The BBC for Drama has unfortunately been wiped of the planet by the likes of HBO with Sopronos, 6 Feet Under, The Wire etc I don't think the BBC will ever make programmes an hour long with effectively film size budgets. Then again ITV is 10 times worse!

As for the fact that they are inconsistent in the 'editorial' approach I guess is a good thing and means they are less likely to be towing some grand editorial slant. Obviously all Journalists and in my opinion especially the BBC suffer from poor sources for information and a lack of real knowledge on a subject themselves.

When it comes to programmes mostly documentaries with no political slant then the BBC can be great i.e. Nature Programmes, Tribe etc. Political documentaries i.e. Iraq War etc are far better on C4.

BBC makes the odd good Comedy i.e. The Office but tends to lag behind other networks like HBO with programmes like Curb Your Enthusiasm and C4 with Peep Show.

The BBC for Drama has unfortunately been wiped of the planet by the likes of HBO with Sopronos, 6 Feet Under, The Wire etc I don't think the BBC will ever make programmes an hour long with effectively film size budgets. Then again ITV is 10 times worse!

As for the fact that they are inconsistent in the 'editorial' approach I guess is a good thing and means they are less likely to be towing some grand editorial slant. Obviously all Journalists and in my opinion especially the BBC suffer from poor sources for information and a lack of real knowledge on a subject themselves.

Quite agree. Their science coverage is quite awful... did you see the last series of Horizon? A pitiful shadow of its former self.

Have to say, though, that the new series of Doctor Who counts as one of my guilty pleasures. It's one of those rare things that is actually far better than it needs to be :)

Guest pioneer31
The trouble is, most people on here don't actually want balanced journalism. They want journalism that sucks up to their point of view.

Well the BBC should suit them fine because it doesn't offer it.

The beeb is not the corporation that it once was. 20 yrs ago I'd have said it was worth the money.

Now it's just overrun with lots of young, inexperienced journalists, teeny presenters and barbie doll newsreaders.

Edited by pioneer31

People don't want balance and the BBC doesn't offer it.

Ah I see, I thought your comment followed on from the OP's second sentence. Ignore me, I'm off to play with my rockets :)

I'm a big fan of the BBC.

I only really listen to the radio (R3, R4 and 5Live) as I work from home half the time and also spend a lot of time in hotel rooms. Unlike other people here, I find the quality of the radio journalism to be high.

On top of this you get all those TV channels which I very rarely watch. (Only really watch Sky football.)

All for the cost of a weekend newspaper or two. Brilliant value. No adverts either.

The trouble is, most people on here don't actually want balanced journalism. They want journalism that sucks up to their point of view. When a BBC programme offers airtime to the other view in the interests of balance, you regard this as bias.

One day the barbarians will tear down the Beeb, and as our lives become filled with TalkSport, ITV and SkyOne-style media we'll look at the rubble and think: "!Oh god, what have we done?"

Forget blinkin' HPI for a moment, and think about the BBC's commitment to the arts and the cultural life of this country.

its not brilliant value. its £130 per year. £10 per month.

for £10 per month i can get broadband, telephone line and basic cable.

granted. most of its shit ads, but its cheap.

im not paying my fee so much for the value aspect, rather than i am sick of them ramping property. and they are not impartial - THEY RAMP IT. fine oif your a private company, but dont force me to pay for this ramping. if i could unsubcribe in protest i would have. my only choice is to become a criminal.

if they go back to how they were 1999 id buy the licence.

im for the bbc and im for a monarchy, but they have to be what they claim to be and act how they are supposed to act.

the bbc has said nothing about the priced out generation and the insane struggle they now face. nor does the queen.

its as if we are shit on their shoes.