House Price Crash Forum

How Old Are You? Cheeky!

Mike1045

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32, male living in London, earning close to 100k with bonuses etc. Have saved enough to buy an ok one-bed in my home town of Glasgow, but not that interested in moving back at the moment and happy to house share with my lovely female italian housemates. Probably should put it in some commodity or other as it disappears from my bank account. Not interested in buying in London as even estate agents here are praying for a return to normal.

Decided to travel the world when house-prices were affordable and jobs were plenty. Had a fantastic time though returned to massive hpi and stagnant job market. Adapted appropriately and now happy enough.

Thoguh tiring of being stitched up for being prudent. Investigating the possibilities of bank robbery if Brown continues on to an election victory. Possible "Day of the Jackal" scenario not ruled out...

Edited by stillill

44, married, 2 x sprog, completing on sale on Friday (unless our buyer's mortgage offer was with NR!)

Will now start worrying about bank crashes while waiting for the HPC.

Don't want to buy now because prices are ridiculous and we'll get hammered for stamp duty tax.

Renting a lovely home in a stunningly beautiful location - happy to stay here at least five years until smallest has finished primary school.

Hello All. I am 53 and my children constantly remind me of this. We live in the Yorkshire Dales - could you guess ?, and I have no plans to move.

I hope there is a crash or a reduction in house prices soon, as my grown up children would like a place of their own and cannot afford to buy (or rent) in our area. I would struggle to buy even a first time buyers house in our village and I would definitely not be able to buy my exsiting house from scratch. I regard myself as fairly lucky as we bought our first home (how I hate the word property) in the 1980's when the market was a lot more sensible than it is now. The whole system is a shambles, managed and manipulated by a few greedy individuals. There, I have vented some of my spleen.

I have a question as I am relatively new to this forum. Can anyone tell me what VI stands for please ?

I have some ideas.

Venereally infected

Viciously invective

Very intelligent - no

Vaguely intelligent

Very ignorant

Regards to all

47, decided in 2003 that I couldn't afford my house at current prices and wanted a career change.

Sold the house and went back to college.

Now I could buy back in, but at nothing like the same level, so not quite priced out... but why buy now when houses are as relatively expensive than they ever had been.

Mortgages are a way to enslave people. I'd rather be free and poor.

I'm 52, lost my house in a divorce and still waiting to get back into the market.

In the last housing crash you were about 9 by my calculations.

I owned a property then which halved in value. I was unwilling to sell at a loss and simply rented it out for

a number of years until it regained its value. I then sold it too early, making a huge mistake.

I'm not intending to be patronising to younger people here, I just think it may be interesting to get a view from

someone who has actually been through it all before. Be nice if we could learn from history, although this often

seems pretty unlikely.

The main lesson for me has been that asset inflation always goes much higher than you expect, and conversely

the downside is always much, much worse than people expect. The same irrationality tends to affect the gloom

side, as much as the exuberant side of things.

At the low point of the last housing crash you would find people who would not touch property investment

with a barge pole. These same people would likely have been telling you that "dont be silly, property prices

never fall" some time previously.

The signs are certainly staring us all in the face. Maybe this one will be as bad as the 80's, maybe worse.

Look at the fate of Japan's property bubble.

If it is a crash, then it will probably go further and deeper than people expect. Bide your time and buy at the

bottom.

I guessing and this might be a long shot but the average age of the posters on this site is between 25 and 45! I bet you could even narrow the window down further.

25 and below you’ll still be living with parents and can’t afford to buy even if you wanted to!

45 and over you’ll own a property or don’t see house prices as the be all and end all!

So the question is how old are you?

Me I’m 29!!

Mid forties, ex wife got lion's share of nice 4bed detached in '04 (and 2 late teen kids). Now renting. I owned since '83 so lived through last crash.

All I can say is I would not buy until the rent/price equation moves in favour of buying. So either prices fall 50% ish or rents rise 100% or a mixture of the two.

Until that point I shall rent and couldn't care less about owning. Been there, done that, vastly over-rated and far more expensive than just the mortgage repayments. I plan on dying owning as little as possible and suspect my wish will come true. ;)

Bought house for £70k in 1995, sold for £210k in 2003. Same house went for £249k last year, but I'm not complaining - I was lucky enough. And £210k at 5% gets ~1k per month or near as dammit the same <_<

Live with SO in her house - paid half mortgage.

One cheap flat rented out - I should sell, but wtf. (The rent would be nowhere near the cost of servicing the loan at the reputed market price).

Hate the British property market with a passion. Remember the last crash, rented thru that more by luck than judgement.

52 yo

Own a mortgage free 3 bed detached in Worcs, bought @82k in '88

Could have more & bigger but concentrated on savings and investments after vile scare in 92, near redundancy for me whilst Mrs 13 was off work 18 months and on Disability Living Allowance!

Giant pensions now though, and >£300k cash cushion. :lol:

Never mind that, my English is better then your whatever other language... :P

Actually, I can speak 5 languages, 2 fluently (English being one, of course!) ;)

Oops, while I'm here, I'm in my mid 30's. Lived abroad for a long time (in a country where the currency does not go very far in the UK) - came back too late, and from there it's the usual story - HP's rose faster than we could save for a reasonable deposit. Like many others on this site, OH and I don't believe in overstretching ourselves.

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

I guessing and this might be a long shot but the average age of the posters on this site is between 25 and 45! I bet you could even narrow the window down further.

25 and below you’ll still be living with parents and can’t afford to buy even if you wanted to!

45 and over you’ll own a property or don’t see house prices as the be all and end all!

So the question is how old are you?

Me I’m 29!!

Second option. I am fifty and married. We are intending to clear our mortgage in the next 18 months after which we will pile money into savings. We intend to buy a home to retire to when the market hits bottom which should be around 2015-16.

We have everything to gain from a crash because:

a) it reduces the amount we have to save for "Dunroamin"

B) homes will be cheaper for our children (and their generation) to buy.

In the next few years there will be stories about people who have nothing to retire on because the equity in their houses evaporated in the Crash. I won't be listening. Houses are to make homes out of - not money!

Nope.

Financial services, City of London.

Renting one bed flat just for myself and my other half. We don't let anyone else to stay with us :P

Sorry to disappoint you. :lol:

If Poles bugger off, there will still be no doubt enought Brits left. :rolleyes:

PS: Since you are such a nationalist, how about giving your spelling a bit more consideration. :P

Uh? spelling, you are sadly deluded dear girl - :lol: - I was quoting you! :rolleyes:

"27

immigrant

female - very good looking one too

married

Waiting for the HPC so I can buy up all your houses and rent them out to all those Polese that are only planning to came over "

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'enough' is spelt like this, not "enought" and it's 'come' over, not "came" . You don't need the word "only" in that sentence either.

Are we a happy little pixie now Tia?

(Tip - Don't confront what you don't understand - An Englishman knows his first language!)

:lol:

I have a question as I am relatively new to this forum. Can anyone tell me what VI stands for please ?

I have some ideas.

Venereally infected

Viciously invective

Very intelligent - no

Vaguely intelligent

Very ignorant

Regards to all

Yorkshireman,

VI stands for 'vested interest' - usually used to describe those who want to keep house prices high for their own purposes (EA's, BTLers, Solicitors, Government). Can also refer to the opposite (people wanting a crash for their own purpose), but not used in that context on here much.

Welcome to HPC by the way :)

Ozz

-33, waiting to be reborn (during the next housing correction).

Never owned, but would like to. Sitting on a deposit that looked good a year ago, but due to ridiculous inflation seems like peanuts today! Hoping the country will be taken over by aliens with a collective IQ larger than current governing party (not that unlikey!).

Just to give you an idea. We're 35 and 37 respectively. Renting a very lovely National Trust cottage in Hertfordshire with some money in the bank cause my Mum died leaving me a property in the North which we sold and banked the money but prices don't compare so we've ended up feeling like we'll never own our own house looking at the prices here.