House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dogbox

French Out - Number Uk Tourists To Morocco By 6:1

During the first 7 months of 2007 the visitor breakdown according to the Department Of Tourism is as follows;

French 1.7m

Spanish 795,000

Belgians 285,000

Brits 261,000

Dutch 211,000

German 182,000

Italians 164,000

All in all a 10% rise on the first 7 months of 2006.

What do people think this portends for the future if anything?

It's long been a popular holiday destination for French people because French is widely spoken, to the point of being a de-facto official language.

For a Frenchman the attractions of Morocco are that it is close, it is hot and they speak French.

Would be nice if these numbers have a baring on the mix of investors as this would mean a property market not overly dependant upon UK economics / sentiment in the way Spain is.

Before people point out the possibility of inter European economic contaign, I would mention that neither Germanys property market crash nor the Asian Tigers crash had no effect on ours so I think the pessimist armagedon scenarios of a 'wprld property meltdown' are way overdone.

No surprise seeing France lead the way in terms of visitor numbers to Morocco. It isn't just French holiday makers that like it there, its French businesses too. (Some fly their staff over as part of their rewards scheme as well as having seminars etc there.)

Saidia is largely being promoted to the Brits and Port Lixus to the French. Tangier is popular with the French, so it is perhaps natural that Lixus sales are primarily aimed at them while Saidia is being aimed at us. (The other Plan Azzur resorts will be that bit further South taking flying time to a level that may not appeal to British tourists.)

I imagine once the Plan Azzur resorts are all up and running they will be marketed to a wide tourist audience and this should increase both awareness and interest for each resort. If that is the case, and assuming off-plan properties continue to be marketed primarily to the British, then Saidia's property market should become less dependent on the UK economy when the resort is fully up and running.

Before people point out the possibility of inter European economic contaign, I would mention that neither Germanys property market crash nor the Asian Tigers crash had no effect on ours so I think the pessimist armagedon scenarios of a 'wprld property meltdown' are way overdone.

Hi Dogbox,

An interesting use of the double negative! I totally agree with you!

Have a good day.