House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The_Oldie

Stability

Guest The_Oldie

Just watching an interview with Gordon Brown on BBC News 24.

He slips 'stability' into just about every sentence.

Typical New Labour. I'm convinced that they really believe that if they say something often enough it will miraculously be so. They're brilliant at talking about policies but when it comes to implementation they haven't a clue.

Andrew Marr is totally useless. He barely understands the issues. Brown is avoiding every question on debt. He says that house prices may be high, but people can afford their mortgages. It's not as bad as it was in the 90s he days.

Gordon Brown may as well be slipping his **** into Marr's gob.

Just watching an interview with Gordon Brown on BBC News 24.

He slips 'stability' into just about every sentence.

I often wonder if they try and use Derren Brown type mind tricks on us. Shame they're cr@p at it.

I often wonder if they try and use Derren Brown type mind tricks on us. Shame they're cr@p at it.

au contraire - the continuous use of the term "strong economy" seems to have percolated into many punters' minds.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
au contraire - the continuous use of the term "strong economy" seems to have percolated into many punters' minds.

Trofim Lysenko kept telling Russian peasants that they could grow better crops too. Unfortunately he had no grasp of the real world.

Gordo seems to think £1.3 trillion debt is fine as it has allowed many more people to buy their own homes. :unsure::unsure:

Doesn't square with Merv "house prices are a matter of opinion debt is a matter of fact" statement does it?

It's all about affordability according to him - still when he gets turfed out he could always become a mortgage broker if such a thing still exists by then.

But what if brown is right? are there 2 million more people with mortgages now (his explanation for the increase in debt)? Whats 2 million times 100,000 or so...?

Yep that would be a lot of extra personal debt as we have all noted. Credit isnt necessarily a bad thing, we all know that. Credit allows us to do today things we would otherwise only do tomorrow. We all know that many people have spent recklessly, we also know that many people havent.

I dont think we have the information to know one way of the other, I wouldnt want to call it.

So that leaves the question, what if Brown is right? Glad I havent bet my house on it ;)!

Credit allows us to do today things we would otherwise only do tomorrow.

Or, looking at it the other way, credit prevents us doing things tomorrow because we chose to frivilously spend today.

In other words, our greed gets the better of us, and ruins our futures. Note, I refer to consumer spending and macro-scale government expenditure rather than lending to businesses which may need to borrow to get set up...

One is investment in future returns, the other is P1ssing money down the drain.

But what if brown is right? are there 2 million more people with mortgages now (his explanation for the increase in debt)? Whats 2 million times 100,000 or so...?

Yep that would be a lot of extra personal debt as we have all noted. Credit isnt necessarily a bad thing, we all know that. Credit allows us to do today things we would otherwise only do tomorrow. We all know that many people have spent recklessly, we also know that many people havent.

I dont think we have the information to know one way of the other, I wouldnt want to call it.

So that leaves the question, what if Brown is right? Glad I havent bet my house on it ;)!

Buying overpriced property with debt is not prudent and sound

Creating HPI with mountains of cheap debt is not prudent

The only reason prices have gone up is cheap debt

The reason HPC will happen is the removal of cheap debt

"Credit allows us to do today things we would otherwise only do tomorrow" means you cannot afford it today and you will have to pay far more for IT than if you had saved.

Spending on tat and investment are two different things