House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

What The Feck Is Bluetongue Disease?

It has been found in a cow in East Anglia. No one knows what it is but apparently it is the end of the World!

Why oh why can't we be like the French and other EU countries who do not stress themselves about these things and who simply quietly take a shotgun to whatever poor animal it is?

The BBC have just become another spreader of alarmist news stories IMPO.

No doubt the FTSE will be in crisis on Monday now - over a bleeding cow with a blue tongue! Poor cow!

It has been found in a cow in East Anglia. No one knows what it is but apparently it is the end of the World!

Why oh why can't we be like the French and other EU countries who do not stress themselves about these things and who simply quietly take a shotgun to whatever poor animal it is?

No doubt the FTSE will be in crisis on Monday now - over a bleeding cow with a blue tongue! Poor cow!

Does that mean I can start a Blue Monday thread. Please please please. B)

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I expect markets will rally on the bad news.

Come on guys I'm sure the boffins at deffra can lick it! :blink:

Come on guys I'm sure the boffins at deffra can lick it! :blink:

I would hope so as it probably escaped from one of their laboratories! :P

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes.../lastweek.shtml

(links to Defra etc with further info )

I watched this on Countryfile last week (see link & quote), one of the bbc's more quality programmes .

They visited infected Europe and showed a sheep with big open sores on it's knees, which were v. painful. It's real bad news, Apparently they can cull a small area, but once it's spread in the midge population it's big trouble, with no cure.

Bluetongue

As British farmers come to the terms with a fresh outbreak of Foot and Mouth, their counterparts on the continent are battling with another animal disease. Since July there have been nearly 3,000 cases of Bluetongue in Northern Europe and now there are real fears it will cross the English Channel dealing yet another devastating blow to livestock farmers.

Originating in South Africa, the disease is carried by midges. Bluetongue is passed from animal to midge and from midge to animal. It's not transmitted from animal to animal and there are no public health implications. The disease affects sheep and cattle with a morbidity rate of around 40%. Animals experience a great deal of discomfort: they get flu-like symptoms, swelling and haemorrhages. They can recover but productivity is reduced with milk yields in dairy herds dropping by around 40%.

Currently there's no vaccine for the new strain of the disease. Should it reach the UK, it would have a devastating impact on agriculture triggering movement restrictions and an export ban. The Met Office is currently involved in monitoring the likelihood of infected midges reaching the UK which largely depends on wind direction.

is it just me who wonders what real 'news' is happening in the background whilst the news24 services go ballistic with this type of news? Also, if you wanted to bring down the UK with weapons of mass destruction what better way than to infect the livestock, continually. There is no protection for it presumably <_<

Yep..the big story here is global warming.....nw european winters are now too mild to kill of the midge vector so each year it can spread a bit further north. uk has had contingency plans for this for last 2 years thanks to briefings to govt from climate scientists.

I can think of worse things one could do to sheep.

Are you from Wales? ;)

Apparently it all started in a hideous Scandinavian experiment when a Dolly clone was crossed with a mobile phone in an attempt to create a Sheep Messaging Service.

the bbc are always trying to scare people......... in fact all media are

Bird flu didnt even kill any f*cking birds never mind people, yet they went on about it as if it was as big as 9/11

Same with flesh eating bug

Same with sars <----- that killed 120 people, out of chinas 1.2 billion population in 2 years, more people died from Jacobs cream cracker attack :)