House Price Crash Forum
aussieboy

Sold In Sheffield

My house in S10. Marketed early Aug. >20 viewings in three days, >5 offers, sealed bids, attempted gazzump by one bidder (rejected). Exchanged six weeks after offer. I was surprised by how quickly things went as I was / am quite bearish generally.

Looks like I'm now a STM like RB.

My house in S10. Marketed early Aug. >20 viewings in three days, >5 offers, sealed bids, attempted gazzump by one bidder (rejected). Exchanged six weeks after offer. I was surprised by how quickly things went as I was / am quite bearish generally.

Looks like I'm now a STM like RB.

Where are you moving to? Back to Oz lucky thing.

The pound is going down. Get your A$ now!

Bugger that. 2.5 is the medium and long term average not to mention PPP (ish). I'd rather not transfer the cash at any material level less than that and wait instead (interest rate differential notwithstanding).

What price bracket was the house in? We are thinking of buying in s10 at around the 350k mark and it looked like according to rightmove that things were really hanging around and moving slowly. Maybe rightmove is misleading?

What price bracket was the house in? We are thinking of buying in s10 at around the 350k mark and it looked like according to rightmove that things were really hanging around and moving slowly. Maybe rightmove is misleading?

250 - 300 range in the less studenty end of the postcode. All EAs I spoke back in July to said that things were slow in the bog standard Crookes 2/3 bedder market (and the other markets).

250 - 300 range in the less studenty end of the postcode. All EAs I spoke back in July to said that things were slow in the bog standard Crookes 2/3 bedder market (and the other markets).

Actually it looks like s11 (ecclsehall) where we are looking not s10. We were sitting quite happily in no real rush to buy, but your post has put the wind up me somewhat!

Actually it looks like s11 (ecclsehall) where we are looking not s10. We were sitting quite happily in no real rush to buy, but your post has put the wind up me somewhat!

It's a funny house - think the EAs were surprised that it got the interest it did. Takes all sorts, I suppose.

Good luck with your search. Anecdotally, many houses of a certain type seem the same price now as they did when I was looking to buy in late 05 so don't stress too much! BTW if you're thinking Ecclesall, look over at Ranmoor / Fullwood / Greystones too. It's been a nice place to live.

Edited by aussieboy

Bit more info: price achieved is >30% higher than I paid for it <12 months back so it will show significant HPI in the LR figures. However, some of this is due to capital improvements (I was hoping to stay in the house for a few years) which shows how HPI can ignore significant improvements to the country's housing stock .

Dear Ausieboy;

Sheffield 10 and 11 always have been a good area for price increases that buck the general trend around Sheffield.

I wouldn't say that a price hike of 30% is common accross all Sheffield post codes.

All the figures for South East Sheffield suggest that Semi's have risen in price. Detatched houses on estates havn't!

This effect is well known especially in Sheffield.

One street sells for a lot more than average, the next street slumbers. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence and some studies done that this is related to School catchment areas. Sheffield 11 and 10 have good schools. Although I dont think the assessments justify the price differences.

I stick to my original statements that in the Sothall area the rise in Detached residences is not the same as reported elswhere its a lot less.

Good luck in Oz

Dear Ausieboy;

Sheffield 10 and 11 always have been a good area for price increases that buck the general trend around Sheffield.

I wouldn't say that a price hike of 30% is common accross all Sheffield post codes.

All the figures for South East Sheffield suggest that Semi's have risen in price. Detatched houses on estates havn't!

This effect is well known especially in Sheffield.

One street sells for a lot more than average, the next street slumbers. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence and some studies done that this is related to School catchment areas. Sheffield 11 and 10 have good schools. Although I dont think the assessments justify the price differences.

I stick to my original statements that in the Sothall area the rise in Detached residences is not the same as reported elswhere its a lot less.

Good luck in Oz

Thanks for the wishes.

I think that my timing was fortunate (that Aug 05 cut hadn't worked through when I was negotiating to buy... it took a while to complete). Also, I inadvertently ticked most of the renovation boxes suggested by those two camp Scots blokes which may have done the trick. I certainty spent enough worktime hounding builders, plasterers etc to warrant a bit of a return...

Thanks for the wishes.

I think that my timing was fortunate (that Aug 05 cut hadn't worked through when I was negotiating to buy... it took a while to complete). Also, I inadvertently ticked most of the renovation boxes suggested by those two camp Scots blokes which may have done the trick. I certainty spent enough worktime hounding builders, plasterers etc to warrant a bit of a return...

did you get your dollars yet?

I think it may be shifting upwards

your best bet may be next downturn as per August, but may not be as low

http://www.x-rates.com/d/GBP/AUD/graph120.html

did you get your dollars yet?

I think it may be shifting upwards

your best bet may be next downturn as per August, but may not be as low

http://www.x-rates.com/d/GBP/AUD/graph120.html

Moved a chunk mid August at 2.51. As I say, I'll be jiggered if I'll move more at 2.30... if it goes below this I'll be borrowing in Aussie and buying pounds. We're miles from PPP at the moment.

Moved a chunk mid August at 2.51. As I say, I'll be jiggered if I'll move more at 2.30... if it goes below this I'll be borrowing in Aussie and buying pounds. We're miles from PPP at the moment.

Can only see the Aussie going up myself.

I've always thought PPP is around 2.00.

In current circumstances it may go below this :)

Can only see the Aussie going up myself.

I've always thought PPP is around 2.00.

In current circumstances it may go below this :)

Hmm... Big Macs get exi below 2.5 let alone 2.0...

ah, the old BM index

pound still overvalued surely, mind you I couldn't fancy one at half the price..

http://www.economist.com/finance/displayst...tory_id=9448015

Hungry Jacks' Aussieburger it is... with the slice of Strayne beetroot.

BTW there was a Radio 5 discussion this afternoon saying that Sheffield had gone up 12% in the last year. Hmmm...

Hungry Jacks' Aussieburger it is... with the slice of Strayne beetroot.

BTW there was a Radio 5 discussion this afternoon saying that Sheffield had gone up 12% in the last year. Hmmm...

yes, the burgers are better at HJ's..

Also, I inadvertently ticked most of the renovation boxes suggested by those two camp Scots blokes which may have done the trick.

Don't know if you got to see them but they were at Meadowhall a few months ago hosting some interior design program that's to be shown later this year.

http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk/lastresults.asp?dateid=130

The latest property auction results from yesterday of Mark Jenkison (Sheffield).

Normally they shift over 90% of the stuff on over and alot goes for well over normal auction prices.

Maybe things are starting to slow abit....

They're clearance rate is somewhat beyond my ken>>> but they have managed to sell a a place on my street ~100k below what I achieved... but it was a complete refurb job (as you'd expect at auction, I suppose).

Edited by aussieboy