House Price Crash Forum
Hopeful FTB

Can Someone Explain To Me What Is Going On?

Things have happened so fast in the last week or so that I am finding it hard to keep up with whats going on- is the crash now cancelled?! Can I have an idiots guide please? I really dont understand what has happened - has gordon brown essentially ensured that HPI will continue unabated?

Unless the government are going to lend mortgages themselves at sub 5% rates then the crash is still 100% guaranteed. All that happened this week was a symptom of the bigger picture shoved itself in our faces and was "dealt" with.

Risk has only just begun to be recognised and the credit bubble is still fat and sweating as ever.

Things have happened so fast in the last week or so that I am finding it hard to keep up with whats going on- is the crash now cancelled?! Can I have an idiots guide please? I really dont understand what has happened - has gordon brown essentially ensured that HPI will continue unabated?

People got over excited and thought the crash was here, then found out otherwise.

It happens a lot on this forum.

:)

they would have to lower interest rates to 5% just to stop a hpc.

if they want HPI they are going to have to lower and lower from 5%.

if they lower rates, inflation will go up, but who cares, either pay higher mortgage via high interest rates, or pay lower mortgage and higher on other things. just the same imo

Guest d23

nope; a lot has happened this week none of which will make much difference to the coming correction

If i was you I'd happily ignore the occasional bi polar over excited posters on this site who veer from predicting the decline and fall of the western world to wringing their hands that the crash hasn't happened this week which must mean it's not going to happen

things can't continue as they are and I'd say a correction starting in earnest next year is well on the cards

I'm looking at a few years till I buy so I'm concentrating more on shoring up my position and ensuring I'm well prepared for a stormy few years ahead (not going to buy a crossbow or any tinned food just yet tho)

I'm looking at a few years till I buy so I'm concentrating more on shoring up my position and ensuring I'm well prepared for a stormy few years ahead (not going to buy a crossbow or any tinned food just yet tho)

Do you think that bloke who moved his family and himself to a log cabin in the middle of an American forest, miles away from anyone and without any computers, prior to the year 2000 is still there?

Perhaps he has since told his wife and kids that the World ended on January 1st, 2000, and that planes fell from the skies, that PCs started eating people and... well, I suspect that his family might well believe all of that... but house prices, gee, are you kidding!? :blink:

Yes, at least until he gets re-elected by the "democratic process". Govt has said it is willing to take on mortgage books from enthusiastic lenders as collateral. Banks stay around and keep lending. House prices go up. Any dodgy debt is rolled into the already massive national debt. Taxes go up. But hey, it's only a "penny in the pound" and nothing compared with your ever increasing house :)

Everyone is happy surely. We are rich beyond never before.

The crash has been cancelled.

You will see drops in the market over the next year of upto 5%, some areas will rise by 5%.

What you will not see is a the boom we have had over the last few years.

The air has all but gone from the balloon and its is coming down. Hoever the BofE, Treasury, Chancellor Darling and PM Gordon Brown have a vested interest (VI) in not letting a crash occur and will tweak and stack the market to ensure. We are all smart (fine) for now.

Your home will probably lose value of up to 5% this year. Back to 2005/06 levels. No harm there then.

Edited by zhinzhon

they would have to lower interest rates to 5% just to stop a hpc.

if they want HPI they are going to have to lower and lower from 5%.

if they lower rates, inflation will go up, but who cares, either pay higher mortgage via high interest rates, or pay lower mortgage and higher on other things. just the same imo

CPI is down and my guess they will keep it there, they will then suggest that buisness etc is not at boiling point and a rate cut would be whats needed for stability, then again the next month etc, the banks will be encouraged to lend as much as ever while the government guarentees their safety in doing so. And as you say 'who gives a cr*p about inflation'

The crash has been cancelled.

You will see drops in the market over the next year of upto 5%, some areas will rise by 5%.

What you will not see is a the boom we have had over the last few years.

The air has all but gone from the balloon and its is coming down. Hoever the BofE, Treasury, Chancellor Darling and PM Gordon Brown have a vested interest (VI) in not letting a crash occur and will tweak and stack the market to ensure. We are all smart (fine) for now.

Your home will probably lose value of up to 5% this year. Back to 2005/06 levels. No harm there then.

Meanwhile the price of crude just ticked past $83.00 per barrel. Darling and Brown have no control over Peak Oil.

Edited by Lander