House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

symo

Letter To My Boss

OK,

As I work in a fairly inflation/recession proof sector (everyone needs electricity esp. oil and gas industry) I have hinted on here that I would be asking for a raise and as I have just heard my boss leave. I thought now would be a good time to send it. Let me know what you think

Dear xxxxxxxx,

As you know one of my motivating factors for leaving London was that I would possibly be able to afford my own home here in Devon. However, with the recent Federal rate cut in the US and the UK about to follow suit it appears that this ambition is actually getting further away. On a recent visit to see my girlfriend in London I was struck by how much cheaper food and fuel is in the capital compared to Devon. This gap was so apparent that I forced myself to examine the financial reality I now face.

Since I no longer receive money for fuel or a company car I have also increases in tax, insurance and servicing to pay for as well as the devaluation of a motor vehicle. My girlfriend was too qualified to be given work in Devon and as such has had to move back to London leaving me to pay my rent on my own (a rent which has increased by 4% this month). These costs coupled with the increased cost of goods in general in the south-west means I am now asking for a raise near the figure I wanted to take this position for (41K). When I ask for this please bear in mind that the current project I am managing on was sold with a budgeted loss of $500,000 US on a $10mil. In that time I have also learnt quite a bit of Brazilian Portuguese in order to give the client positive expectations of the company.

I would like to settle in this area however current costs mean that I may have to move which is something I hope we may discuss.

Regards

Me

So what do you think?

OK,

As I work in a fairly inflation/recession proof sector (everyone needs electricity esp. oil and gas industry) I have hinted on here that I would be asking for a raise and as I have just heard my boss leave. I thought now would be a good time to send it. Let me know what you think

Dear xxxxxxxx,

As you know one of my motivating factors for leaving London was that I would possibly be able to afford my own home here in Devon. However, with the recent Federal rate cut in the US and the UK about to follow suit it appears that this ambition is actually getting further away. On a recent visit to see my girlfriend in London I was struck by how much cheaper food and fuel is in the capital compared to Devon. This gap was so apparent that I forced myself to examine the financial reality I now face.

Since I no longer receive money for fuel or a company car I have also increases in tax, insurance and servicing to pay for as well as the devaluation of a motor vehicle. My girlfriend was too qualified to be given work in Devon and as such has had to move back to London leaving me to pay my rent on my own (a rent which has increased by 4% this month). These costs coupled with the increased cost of goods in general in the south-west means I am now asking for a raise near the figure I wanted to take this position for (41K). When I ask for this please bear in mind that the current project I am managing on was sold with a budgeted loss of $500,000 US on a $10mil. In that time I have also learnt quite a bit of Brazilian Portuguese in order to give the client positive expectations of the company.

I would like to settle in this area however current costs mean that I may have to move which is something I hope we may discuss.

Regards

Me

So what do you think?

I think you should get the important things in life sorted first.

Either get your girlfriend to come back to Devon, or throw the towel in and move to London.

Having good wages, and a good career on your own is quite frankly a fruitless ordeal. I myself would go for being happy far above money. And something else to remember, nobody got rich working for someone else. From what I can make of it, if you are on 25k, or 40k or 50k we all end up with the same if you are on PAYE.

I think you should get the important things in life sorted first.

Either get your girlfriend to come back to Devon, or throw the towel in and move to London.

I myself would go for being happy far above money.

/quote]

Hello L J old mate that don't sound like you or has someone stolen your user name.

have'nt heard much from you in the last few days, you haven't been queueing have you

Got the rise, and the GF may move back down, now bring on the crash so I can get a decent sized family home for £160k