House Price Crash Forum

I Am Beginning To Detest Economic Journalists

Gremlin

HOLA441

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/c...icle2492639.ece

Anatole Kaletsky has to be on Brown's propaganda payroll. How anyone can write such a misinformed and poorly judged piece is beyond me. Stating that "the British public seem to understand that there is nothing imprudent about mortgage lending" (referring to NR) is a joke. The British public would accept 100x salary multiples if banks offer them because they are too stupid to understand what they are signing up to and actually they don't care.

HOLA442

Anatole Kaletsky has to be on Brown's propaganda payroll. How anyone can write such a misinformed and poorly judged piece is beyond me. Stating that "the British public seem to understand that there is nothing imprudent about mortgage lending" (referring to NR) is a joke. The British public would accept 100x salary multiples if banks offer them because they are too stupid to understand what they are signing up to and actually they don't care.

Not on Brown's payroll it's just too dark to see when you've got your hard up your own @rse.

Edited by happy?

HOLA443

The trouble is most people can't distinguish between economics and PR material about economic issues. I too can't stand the lightweight, chirpy, nothing to worry about, Gordon's-saved-the-day tone taken by much of the general media.

Imagine if they covered, say, a terrorist attack or plane crash in that way?

'Yes, there's been some deaths, but the emergency services have it under control. I don't think there's a cause for panic. There's been large groups of crying relatives but this is probably more hysteria than a reflection of the numbers of dead.'

HOLA444

What's all this about the first major test in fifty years.The fact is that this is the first run on a High Street bank in over a century.(1860)It is the first time a run has spiralled into a run on other Banks ,ever.(Alliance and Leicester and would have led to at least a dozen more collapses).They are putting out misinformation because they can't admit that the Labour Government ,FSA and MPC have achieved what plague ,Hitler and Napolean failed to achieve:the first time ever the UK Banking system was threatened with collapse.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA445
HOLA446
What's all this about the first major test in fifty years.The fact is that this is the first run on a High Street bank in over a century.(1860)It is the first time a run has spiralled into a run on other Banks ,ever.(Alliance and Leicester and would have led to at least a dozen more collapses).They are putting out misinformation because they can't admit that the Labour Government ,FSA and MPC have achieved what plague ,Hitler and Napolean failed to achieve:the first time ever the UK Banking system was threatened with collapse.

To be honest, they can dress it up as they like.

The fact remains - you can't polish a turd!

HOLA447
HOLA448
Declan Curry (BBC News 24) let slip this morning that he "changed" his mortgage last year.

He also explained the basics of lending. The two BBC presenters seemed dumbfounded, infact one thought of a headache trying to understand him.I cannot believe how the BBC has gone to the level of Blue Peter or John Cravens Newsround.....

HOLA449
He also explained the basics of lending. The two BBC presenters seemed dumbfounded, infact one thought of a headache trying to understand him.I cannot believe how the BBC has gone to the level of Blue Peter or John Cravens Newsround.....

Sums up British attitudes,perfectly acceptable to be innumerate but it is shameful if you slip up on your English.

HOLA4410

Dont detest them, study their incentives instead. Once you have there incentives right, the thruth becomes apparent, is not it? They still serve us right if we spend a bit of effort understanding what makes them say that what they say.

HOLA4411
Guest An Bearin Bui
The trouble is most people can't distinguish between economics and PR material about economic issues. I too can't stand the lightweight, chirpy, nothing to worry about, Gordon's-saved-the-day tone taken by much of the general media.

Imagine if they covered, say, a terrorist attack or plane crash in that way?

'Yes, there's been some deaths, but the emergency services have it under control. I don't think there's a cause for panic. There's been large groups of crying relatives but this is probably more hysteria than a reflection of the numbers of dead.'

I agree: most of the economic commentary in the mainstream broadsheets is the journalistic equivalent of a cup of tea and a biscuit i.e. comforting snack to soothe your nerves (or jangle them if you're a bear) but nothing meaty or nourishing.

Just recently, I've decided not to bother with any of the Times / Telegraph / Guardian commentators anymore and stick to the FT and Money Week. They are the only publications that predominantly deal in facts and analysis. I used to have a subscription to The Economist too but I cancelled it this year - I used to enjoy what I thought was their dispassionate analysis of the economy but a few of their more recent articles on economic growth, CEO pay and Scotland particularly made me realise they are a vested interest with an editorial line I no longer agree with.

HOLA4412
I agree: most of the economic commentary in the mainstream broadsheets is the journalistic equivalent of a cup of tea and a biscuit i.e. comforting snack to soothe your nerves (or jangle them if you're a bear) but nothing meaty or nourishing.

Just recently, I've decided not to bother with any of the Times / Telegraph / Guardian commentators anymore and stick to the FT and Money Week. They are the only publications that predominantly deal in facts and analysis. I used to have a subscription to The Economist too but I cancelled it this year - I used to enjoy what I thought was their dispassionate analysis of the economy but a few of their more recent articles on economic growth, CEO pay and Scotland particularly made me realise they are a vested interest with an editorial line I no longer agree with.

FT is the best of newspapers for sure. The Economist is pretty arrogant and never admits their analysis was wrong but what is the alternative? (Journal not Newspaper)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415