House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
0q0

Buying Tonight? Will You Buy A Home In The U K This Year?

If this is a poll too many, mods please remove.

I would like to know how the rest of you feel.

Personally I thought I understood how things would go but they've bowled me a googly with their recent twists. Admittedly, that's not hard, I'm no whizz.

But the talk of interest rate cuts from BoE etc and the market flat-lining or even growing talk is no surprise. I just hoped it wouldn't happen, even though I joked it might.

Edited by The Last Bear

No. Why? Well...

All looks like a being mixture of inflation for some items and deflation for others. Either way, the job market will end up in Nasty Place for a few years, and if there's one thing I don't want to be doing it's carrying a stack of debt. Yes, if it's sufficiently inflationary then there's a distinct opportunity cost to not buying now, but to the best of my knowlege you don't get nasty men in suits knocking on your door to recover opportunity costs.

Guest Shedfish

definitely not. they were unaffordable a couple of years ago, and they're unaffordable now.

my business has taken a nosedive this summer, so if i'd bought a couple of years ago as advised by Dark Zorro the independent mortgage broker who offered me a no-doc 100%, i would be in the process of losing it currently. as it stands i can take a break. starting to get a taste for this now :)

if they ultimately inflate their way out, and my wage goes up some way towards reflecting that, i might reconsider this in the future.. but it will probably take more than a year for that to become evident

Personally I thought I understood how things would go but they've bowled me a googly with their recent twists. Admittedly, that's not hard, I'm no whizz.

But the talk of interest rate cuts from BoE etc and the market flat-lining or even growing talk is no surprise. I just hoped it wouldn't happen, even though I joked it might.

I think you should add the option - will not buy any time soon as I still cannot afford anything.....

I think you should add the option - will not buy any time soon as I still cannot afford anything.....

Added at 15:22 :P (was 67% voted "No" until this point, 0% "Yes")

Shedfish, sorry to read that, hope it picks up very soon, thanks for posting.

Edited by The Last Bear

well, what do you expect to get from a poll on HPC. Most of us are bears!!!

Guest d23
well, what do you expect to get from a poll on HPC. Most of us are bears!!!

yet only 55% are 'definitely not buying a home in the UK this year'

Guest portwinestain

No, not this year. I've taken a year out at least from the housing market. I've paid off all debts and am going to save just that bit harder. It will help to have a bigger deposit if I am buying in a year. If I do buy it will be in the traditional slow time, so I at least have my posistion as a strong point, that being chain free and quick to move.

I wil sit back and watch events unfold. This crisis may be controlled and I will have to buy, or they may have unleashed a beast that even the big boys club can't control.

yet only 55% are 'definitely not buying a home in the UK this year'

Nahhh, logically you have to include 'I'll not buy any time soon as I still cannot afford anything!' voters too which makes 72.1% as of now.

The other 24.4% are 'dunno' (deciding within the next six months also includes three months of 2008 so a certain percentage of those are also 'not buying this year' ) and a puny 3.5% voted to buy this year.

On the flip-side I'm quite surprised that the number of buyers is so low, even on this forum.

What a silly poll to have on this website, thats like having a "who dislikes the Nazi's" on a jewish website.

Lets be honest, the government are going to do everything they can to hold this beast up, and believe me, they will do it. The fact that Merv says one thing then completely does the opposite is a sign that other people are pulling the strings. Maybe its the guys who do things by their "own free will and accord", we just dont know. Maybe GB knows what he is doing and we should be thanking him that we are still seen as a top country in the world.

I dont think so, i think when gordon has to sacrifice happiness, ambition, hope, success, families of his British people just to stay up there amongst the worlds great nations then it is a massive massive shame. Shame on them.

It is catch 22, we import immigrants because the British population is decreasing, but the immigration splits and divides our families and lifestyles so we in turn emigrate, so GB decides to import more immigrants in replacement. I do not think this process will stop until it is to late. This is why standards are slipping. We are importing below standard people who are replacing the British people who have left because they see no future.

The MP's only see westminster, they only see white, gentleman, they mix with their fellow masons in old English clubs and surround themselves on all things british. What a shame they cannot see the real Britain where families are divided, 35 year olds still living at home causing strain on the family!! What a shame they dont walk down holloway road in fear of robbery or rape.

They do not look at big britain, they concentrate on Little Britain which is 5 miles by 5 miles, they are out of touch and more than likely to scared to face up to the consequences they have caused.

Britain has become an overpriced, dangerous, poilice state controlled by constant surveillance.

It is awful and i will be on my way following the subdued herd abroad to a place where we can at least have fond memories of growing up in our green and pleasant land,

Now its our Brown and unpleasant land

Gordon Brown - You are a ****