House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rain'ard

Between A Rock And Hard Place

I was at a meeting yesterday and I was sitting next to someone who had just been to her NR branch to withdraw her account(She looked quite normal to me, didn’t have that sheeple air about her)

I asked her what did she think about Brown and Darling coming to the rescue and bailing the organisation and their savers out.

She said she was pleased. She said also that she had changed her opinion of Brown and will vote for him when the next election comes. She went on to say I don’t think the Tories would have done it and not even Blair.

Also she told me about a financial institution that went broke at the time of a Conservative Government (I couldn’t recall it) and they did nothing about it and it caused misery and chaos for many innocent people involved. Personally I not sure what to think about this because, one I don’t wish to see savers lose there money and I don’t want to see liars and the greedy get away scott free at expense of others or tax payers. But does she have a point when such interventions have to be made to prevent large scale disaster like that of the Wall Street crash

I was at a meeting yesterday and I was sitting next to someone who had just been to her NR branch to withdraw her account(She looked quite normal to me, didn’t have that sheeple air about her)

I asked her what did she think about Brown and Darling coming to the rescue and bailing the organisation and their savers out.

She said she was pleased. She said also that she had changed her opinion of Brown and will vote for him when the next election comes. She went on to say I don’t think the Tories would have done it and not even Blair.

Also she told me about a financial institution that went broke at the time of a Conservative Government (I couldn’t recall it) and they did nothing about it and it caused misery and chaos for many innocent people involved. Personally I not sure what to think about this because, one I don’t wish to see savers lose there money and I don’t want to see liars and the greedy get away scott free at expense of others or tax payers. But does she have a point when such interventions have to be made to prevent large scale disaster like that of the Wall Street crash

If she is so concerned, she can stick her hand into her own pocket and pay for it herself. Asking for Brown to slip his hand into my pocket to pay for her sentimentality is both stupid and evil.

If she is so concerned, she can stick her hand into her own pocket and pay for it herself. Asking for Brown to slip his hand into my pocket to pay for her sentimentality is both stupid and evil.

She can't though can she. Her moneys in with the Northern Rock

She can't though can she. Her moneys in with the Northern Rock

That's her choice. Time to face that actions have consequences like any other grown up.

That's her choice. Time to face that actions have consequences like any other grown up.

....does she have it in writing.?..it's usually the Governor of the Bank of England...has the 'State Bank of Gordo' taken over........?.......if so she needs a 'note' signed by him...can he afford it.?......I know the country can't....... :o:o:o

....does she have it in writing.?..it's usually the Governor of the Bank of England...has the 'State Bank of Gordo' taken over........?.......if so she needs a 'note' signed by him...can he afford it.?......I know the country can't....... :o:o:o

That assumes that the bank of england and gordo have a right to take my stuff and give it to this daft woman. They don't/ They just got have an army so it;s difficult to tell them I'm not interested in paying for this woman's foolishness.

Hey ho.

This woman isn't a sheep.

She's a MORON

I don’t think you can blame the investor for the policies of their bank or building society as they all play the same game. The Coop may be an exception with their `'ethical banking’ which this could just be a marketing ploy.

The NR queue in my town was passing by three of tits rivals. When as a non sheeple I want to put in some cheques. I said to one of the workers “The end of the NR queue is almost coming in your bank.

He replied “Well the front end end of it is bringing their money in here”

I said to him “Well your bank is just as bad”

Now I only discovered this by logging on to this forum. But not everyone is as wise as us

Edited by wheresmyfoxhole

Northern Rock

Desperate times, they have given up on making profit and are just trying to get cash. Note sure the link will work but this is what appeared for me.

May I begin by offering our customers my sincere apologies for the anxiety and inconvenience that we have caused you. I know how worried many of you must have been.
Today I want to make it emphatically clear to all Northern Rock customers that we are open for business as usual.
We remain a well-managed company and continue to be a safe place for your savings, loans and mortgages.
The simple fact now is that the Chancellor has made it clear that all existing deposits in Northern Rock are fully backed by The Bank of England and are totally secure during the current instability in the financial markets.
We are all working night and day to provide you with the service that you expect from us and deserve from us. And I would like to express my appreciation to our staff for their work and commitment over the last few difficult days.
Above all I would also like to thank all our customers for their support and understanding.
I am also pleased to announce that any customer who has paid a penalty for withdrawing their investment, will have the penalty refunded if they re-invest the same amount in the same type of account by 5th October 2007.
These have been troubled times but Northern Rock will prevail. We will not let you down.
Adam J. Applegarth
Chief Executive

I'm no expert but I imagine that the government took the line that they did to prevent a run on multiple banks. You might remember the political instability in Argentina a few years ago when the government froze people's bank accounts to prevent a run on the banks.

This is taken from Wikipedia.

"Confrontations between the police and citizens became a common sight, and fires were also set on Buenos Aires avenues. Fernando de la Rúa declared a state of emergency (illegally since it needed confirmation by the Congress) but this only worsened the situation, precipitating the violent protests of 20 and 21 December 2001 in Plaza de Mayo, where demonstrators clashed with the police, ended with several dead, and precipitated the fall of the government. De la Rúa eventually fled the Casa Rosada in a helicopter on 21 December."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_eco...%281999-2002%29

I'm no expert but I imagine that the government took the line that they did to prevent a run on multiple banks. You might remember the political instability in Argentina a few years ago when the government froze people's bank accounts to prevent a run on the banks.

This is taken from Wikipedia.

"Confrontations between the police and citizens became a common sight, and fires were also set on Buenos Aires avenues. Fernando de la Rúa declared a state of emergency (illegally since it needed confirmation by the Congress) but this only worsened the situation, precipitating the violent protests of 20 and 21 December 2001 in Plaza de Mayo, where demonstrators clashed with the police, ended with several dead, and precipitated the fall of the government. De la Rúa eventually fled the Casa Rosada in a helicopter on 21 December."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_eco...%281999-2002%29

ALS

Thank you for that

BCCI probably.

I am old enough to remember the BCCI affair reasonably well.

There is an interesting difference from Northern Rock.

It didn't spook people at all. A bank had got into trouble and investors lost some money. It didn't cause any kind of panic because nobody thought for a minute they were in any danger.

It is a measure of how fragile economic confidence is at the moment that people rushed to the nearest branch to get their cash out.

I am old enough to remember the BCCI affair reasonably well.

There is an interesting difference from Northern Rock.

It didn't spook people at all. A bank had got into trouble and investors lost some money. It didn't cause any kind of panic because nobody thought for a minute they were in any danger.

It is a measure of how fragile economic confidence is at the moment that people rushed to the nearest branch to get their cash out.

I also remember. But there was a lot more trust and confidence in authority in those days than is now the case. We really believed that those who had authority wielded their power in the service of the population - and on the whole, they did. For instance, Ministers who cocked-up resigned. Not so nowadays.