House Price Crash Forum

Sudden Change In Sentiment

war

HOLA441

Yesterday every one was panicking. The slippery Brown and Darling promise to payback all deposits and now every one is in good mood. A&L shares increase by 27% and Northern Rock by 7%.

Suddenly news comes up saying inflation is falling further to 1.8%.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070918/tuk...-fa6b408_1.html

Sudden change of sentiment to bullishness! Possibility of IR cut?

So the credit crunch is cancelled! You can go back to buying houses and BTL!

What an idiotic society!

:angry:

HOLA442
Yesterday every one was panicking. The slippery Brown and Darling promise to payback all deposits and now every one is in good mood. A&L shares increase by 27% and Northern Rock by 7%.

What an idiotic society!

I think it was early days for the armageddon-fueled muppets, bears, to start celebrating the 50%+ falls, and early days to say all is now rosy. I think you need to wait a little while...

Edited by HOwner

HOLA443

What an idiotic society!

There will be no cut in IRs in the forseeable. Unless the whole banking system is on verge of failure. The long term pressure on inflation is too great. We are heading for several years of higher IRs - not just base rate but due to credit crunch.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest wrongmove
I think it was early days for the armageddon-fueled muppets, bears, to start celebrating the 50%+ falls, and early days to say all is now rosy. I think you need to wait a little while...

Indeed - exciting pant wetting on the NR news was very premature, but to suggest the banking problem is now over is equally ridiculous.

NR dropped by about £9 as the problems became apparent.

It has recovered by 17p today.

HOLA4413
This inflation rate has resulted in "the government is lying" cries.

Why are things getting more expensive if inflation is so low? lol.

This is something I dont understand. People keep saying things are not getting that much more expensive, but thats not how I feel.

And its ordinary things too. The Sunday Times - £2 now. A bus trip, used to be 70p not long ago....£1.50 today. Lots of every day things seem to be getting expensive off the back of a seemingly well off economy.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Indeed - exciting pant wetting on the NR news was very premature, but to suggest the banking problem is now over is equally ridiculous.

NR dropped by about £9 as the problems became apparent.

It has recovered by 17p today.

Quite. Everyone think: you need a 100% rise to counteract a 50% drop. The problems are far from over for these mortgage lenders.

Also, much of A&L's share increase today is due to the board taking advantage of the low price to stage share buy-backs.

HOLA4416

Now you see, this is the side of the argument that the Bulls put across that I simply cannot grasp!

Why shouldn't I celebrate 50% falls when that puts the value of a humble 1 bedroomed flat here in London close to 3x my (rather larger than average) salary, when this benchmark for income/housing expenditure has been an acceptable ratio for the generations of my forefathers and their forefathers?

Am I asking too much, is that it HOwner? Do tell. <_<

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
This is something I dont understand. People keep saying things are not getting that much more expensive, but thats not how I feel.

And its ordinary things too. The Sunday Times - £2 now. A bus trip, used to be 70p not long ago....£1.50 today. Lots of every day things seem to be getting expensive off the back of a seemingly well off economy.

Clearly you must be imagining things - inflation is only 1.8%.

That's guaranteed by the government and they would never tell fibs. :lol:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Guest AuntJess
On the contrary, I think the public has had a wake up call. They will pay more attentiuon to the financial news from now on. Never ever underestimate public fear when it comes to a potential loss of money/slumping house prices.

Yes. and never underestimate a public that is seeing their shopping bills mount ever higher. Food is really taking off now and petrol..... :o

Them wot do the shopping notice these things. :rolleyes:

HOLA4422
Now you see, this is the side of the argument that the Bulls put across that I simply cannot grasp!

Why shouldn't I celebrate 50% falls when that puts the value of a humble 1 bedroomed flat here in London close to 3x my (rather larger than average) salary, when this benchmark for income/housing expenditure has been an acceptable ratio for the generations of my forefathers and their forefathers?

Am I asking too much, is that it HOwner? Do tell. <_<

Exactly as wrongmove says. Because it hasn't happened. If a 50% drop happens, feel free to celebrate as much as you like, you won't be alone. However, personally, I have a feeling that there will be quite a few people, who in six months time, will look back at some of their triumphant posts of the past few days which a mixture of shame and disappointment (but mainly shame). Of course others, are so used to doing that that it will be business as normal. ;)

HOLA4423
The well is running dry.

Last Trade: 765.00 p

Trade Time: 1:54PM

Change: 165.00 (27.50%)

Prev Close: 600.00

Open: 720.00

Bid: 764.00

Ask: 765.50

1y Target Est: 985.11p

Well the whisper it very quiet indeed.

The markets can't hear you.

Could you ask whoever is whispering to talk at normal volume and we might get somewhere.

If they have not enough balls to talk up, then they may be as well keeping quiet for all the good it will do.

HOLA4424
Exactly as wrongmove says. Because it hasn't happened. If a 50% drop happens, feel free to celebrate as much as you like, you won't be alone. However, personally, I have a feeling that there will be quite a few people, who in six months time, will look back at some of their triumphant posts of the past few days which a mixture of shame and disappointment (but mainly shame). Of course others, are so used to doing that that it will be business as normal. ;)

You miss the point, as does Wrongmove.

The whole VI mantra has been on HPI, so why not as a HPC'er, can I not rejoice and protest that house prices will fall 50% by 2012? Why is this not any different?

Fortunately for me, I am in a realtively safe position (Assured Tenancy - not Shorthold), and I really appreciate how lucky I am. I'm championing for HPC or a change in the tenancy laws for all those poor hardworking b@stards that are not in the same fortunate position that I am.

Either house prices halve or the UK tenancy laws get rid of AST! The status quo is not doing any good for either.