House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
red

Euro Accounts

With sterling taking a battering and Euro looking strong, I am considering shifting a few grand into a EURO account. Also as I plan to move to Cyprus which will soon use this currency.

Any ideas?

With sterling taking a battering and Euro looking strong, I am considering shifting a few grand into a EURO account. Also as I plan to move to Cyprus which will soon use this currency.

Any ideas?

So the prospects for the euro are good ? it's worth transfering $ and £ to Euro ? anyone got any strong opinions with explanations for this - does europe not suffer from the debt timebomb as much ?

i had just been looking into international accounts and hsbc seemed good..

So the prospects for the euro are good ? it's worth transfering $ and £ to Euro ? anyone got any strong opinions with explanations for this - does europe not suffer from the debt timebomb as much ?

i had just been looking into international accounts and hsbc seemed good..

Inflationary pressures have been building in the Euro zone and the last word on Euro IRs was suggesting a rise. May or may not happen, but I think we're all agreed that sterling is going to get hit as the government choose to inflate their way out of this mess.

For me, it makes sense as I plan to move to Cyprus (about to join the Euro) but it might be a useful hedge for shrewd investors...

Nationwide International and Anglo-Irish offer best rates so far - I was hoping someone might know of better accounts.

I'll PM you my euro account no ;)

Watchout with these accounts that they're not some place with no deposit guarantee.

The Nationwide one I believe is on the Isle of Man, which is specifically excluded from the

FSA guarantee if I remember right. Maybe they have their own guarantee, but it would

still worry me...

Pent

Any ideas?

BTW, we hope to move to Germany once the house is sold (fingers crossed). An option we are considering

is a forward exchange contract for gbp/eur which guarantees you the current rate (with a little more spread) for a point in the

future e.g. a year. It's very easy via e.g. hifx.co.uk.

Might be something for others moving abroad soon who are worried about sterling falling dramatically due to banking

crisis etc.

This is not investment advice :rolleyes:

Pent

Anyone have experience of the HSBC Euro One account?

I have my savings in the HSBC Online Saver - the One Europe instant access has a monthly fee of £3 and minimal interest, but I will be using it as a hedge / lifeboat in case Sterling really goes pop!

So it would make sense to keep things in house - but would love to hear your suggestions.

Link to it is here!

Edited by ETOPS773