House Price Crash Forum

" Panicking B T L Landlords Running For The Door "

Realistbear

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Friend working for a French bank in the south of France says that the last 2 weeks has seen frenzied activity from overseas customers phoning up to tell them they've put their flats/houses on the market. According to him, mostly the Brits, Irish and Dutch. Market was very calm over the summer. Now's the time of year you'd expect the buyers to be active, but he says it's the compete opposite.

My take is that these are your usual MEW's and BTL's abroad who thought capital gains would keep them fine and pay the mortgage. Some even have euro mortgages from UK banks as the French bank wouldn't give them the loan. Interest rates and change of sentiment is seeing them pile out of the market just like RB has reported is happening in the UK.

That compact and bijou 2 bed flat with a view over Nice may soon be mine....but I'll give it another 12 months yet..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
http://www.citywire.co.uk/Blogs/Property/E...rsionID%3d96504

12:03 Monday 17 September 2007

Panicking buy to let property landlords running for the door and heading overseas

There might be a whole lot of property being dumped on the market soon.
According to Tim Warrington of property portal landlord.co.uk:
‘Our in-house research suggests that many of the
14,000 landlords registered with our site are selling their properties at once.
“Too many landlords selling in the UK could send the property market into freefall, as many properties in the buy to let industry are going up for sale. We believe landlords should hold their nerve through these tricky times and look at the UK as a long term investment.
“We can understand landlords wanting to cash in on the money they’ve made over the last few years. Unfortunately, their desire to dump their UK properties may start a
‘domino effect’
with other landlords. If the majority follow suit, it could be very damaging for the UK housing market.”
:o

Just when we thought the news couldn't get better--it just got better. I'm off for a nice cuppa and a few McVities to celebrate. All we need now is The Sun to go to print with the "C" word on page 1 and its over-bar the counting.

I pointed out this was showing up in Council homeless statistics back in June only to be rubbished by the bulls on here. It will be interesting to see how many more are bailing out when we do the end of quarter return in two weeks.

HOLA4410
I pointed out this was showing up in Council homeless statistics back in June only to be rubbished by the bulls on here. It will be interesting to see how many more are bailing out when we do the end of quarter return in two weeks.

You aint seen anything yet-wait til they're having to pay B&Bs to provide temporary accommodation again and hostels are opening back up!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

First sign of a panic for BTLers is when rents are raised to cover higher costs ( increased interest rates and capital losses ). I think this has already happened but was presented in a distorted fashion by the media last week! Next they will find there is a ceiling for rents beyoond which tenants cant and wont pay. Not good. Then as capital values get more eroded and costs increase there will be a rush to sell. Meanwhile the smart ones have been selling over the past year, quietly, and have been taking profits. Having said that cutting your losses and selling on the way down once the market has turned is not a bad strategy. Especially if you move quickly

Edited by wotser

HOLA4414
Think in terms of "musical chairs." Only with a slight difference. They suddenly eliminated the chairs.

Great Crash 2 did arrive in the UK "like a thief in the night" didn't it.

RB How many of them actually 'get' your Biblical quotes?

Almost a waste of time - but then it says "if you don't warn you are just as culpable" - ya canny win!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I don't believe the original story. I just looked at landlord.co.uk and as a site it sucks.

This is just a PR puff to try to attract users to a moribund site.

It may be true that BTL's are looking for an exit, but I don't believe this guy has research to back it up. I don't believe he has enough users to justify this.

The comments about council tenants by an HPC poster seem to have more validity frankly.

Edited by 2MeterBear