House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EmpiricalBear

Who Will Be Next...

I'll go for the B&B as the next bank that will experience a run followed by assimilation.

Any advances...

I think the big caps are big enough to absorb this.

Perhaps we should run a book on this.

Edited by 2MeterBear

I remember when we had the petrol protests several years ago. The French had a petrol protest themselves several days before, this gave inspiration for our own protests.

10's of millions of viewers have seen what has happened with NR, so if the B&B or Abbey etc approach the BoE for emergency funding their savers will withdraw their savings too. Surely B&B, Abbey etc cannot be seen to be seeking emergency funding, that tap has been turned off.

My bet is on B&B. Doing a few googles throws up some links.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/20...afx4117442.html

Credit Suisse said it believes Bradford & Bingley can fund itself until at least December, and Alliance & Leicester and HBOS will be able to fund themselves until at least the second half of 2008. The broker group remains cautious generally and reiterated its 'underperform' rating on B&B and A&L.

On 5th Sept

Bradford & Bingley, which provides about one in five loans to U.K. landlords, lost 5.6 percent to 361.25 pence. The shares were cut to ``underweight'' from ``overweight'' at Lehman Brothers.

`Material Hit'

``Uncertainties in asset-backed markets and rising wholesale funding costs are likely to affect earnings within the sector and specifically at Bradford and Bingley,'' the analysts wrote.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...p;refer=germany

From the Mirror

City experts are worried that Alliance & Leicester, Bradford & Bingley, Paragon and Halifax Bank of Scotland could all get into difficulties.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Yip, I think BB could have quite a problem, they spent years being a combined mortgage broker/lender actually selling Northern Rock mortgages to the general public before realising they should perhaps sell their own mortgages again... what do you think?