House Price Crash Forum

Businessman Barricades In Branch Manager For Refusing To Give Him £1 Million Savings

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

Northern Rock: Businessman barricades in branch manager for refusing to give him £1 million savings

By PAUL SIMS and SEAN POULTER - More by this author »

Last updated at 08:44am on 15th September 2007

The starkest illustration of the panic gripping Northern Rock customers came in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire there, a couple barricaded a bank manager in her office after she refused to let them withdraw £1 million from their account.

Former hotelier Christopher Howard, 64, and his wife Fiona, 48, had been on the Internet all night trying to transfer the cash in their on-line account to another bank.

But the website repeatedly crashed and all the bank's phone lines went to recorded messages before cutting off.

The couple stormed into the branch on the High Street at 10.25am as a last resort.

Mrs Howard said: "We were sick with worry. When we got to the bank I couldn't believe their attitude. The manageress just didn't want to know.

"That was it. They had our money, would not give it to us and refused to help so we said we weren't leaving till they did and we would sleep there if we had to. She tried to usher us out of her office so I sat in the doorway. Then she called the police.

"It was only when the officer arrived, having been told to throw us out, that he saw sense and told her to sort things out.

"Then she finally made some phone calls. It took about two hours, but hopefully we'll hear from them within the next 24 hours."

She added: "It's absolutely dreadful. Our whole lives are on hold. We were trying to buy a place in Cyprus and have put a deposit down but it may now fall through as we can't get the rest of the funds. The whole thing is a farce - calling the police to remove their own customers."

What sort of idiot would put £1m in there? They waited until 10.25am to storm into the branch! I would be at the door step 3 hours before they opened :lol:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

What sort of idiot would put £1m in there? They waited until 10.25am to storm into the branch! I would be at the door step 3 hours before they opened :lol:

I wouldn't mind being that sort of idiot with a £1 Million sitting in a bank account. <_< , But I know how he feels when the FTSE last month tanked from 6600 down to 5800 in the matter of a few days, Fidelity ignored all my messaged to sell all my tracker funds and bank it, they response was you have to go online print out a form, sign it, fax it back to us and we have a look at it in the next 48 hours. <_<

HOLA445
I wouldn't mind being that sort of idiot with a £1 Million sitting in a bank account. <_< , But I know how he feels when the FTSE last month tanked from 6600 down to 5800 in the matter of a few days, Fidelity ignored all my messaged to sell all my tracker funds and bank it, they response was you have to go online print out a form, sign it, fax it back to us and we have a look at it in the next 48 hours. <_<

I've given up on Unit Trusts for exactly this reason - it can take a week or more to buy or sell your holdings. In future, set up a share-dealing account (you can use a self-select ISA) and buy investment trusts instead. You can buy and sell them like shares, in 'real-time'!

And what kind of 'business man' puts his entire £1m into a single subprime-lending building society which had put out a profit warning several months ago?

HOLA446
I've given up on Unit Trusts for exactly this reason - it can take a week or more to buy or sell your holdings. In future, set up a share-dealing account (you can use a self-select ISA) and buy investment trusts instead. You can buy and sell them like shares, in 'real-time'!

Yep did that 3 weeks ago, moved the lot across to selftrades selfselect ISA now just have cash waiting yo buy back in at some point, only £25 a year for the count and £12.50 a deal.

HOLA447
HOLA448
And what kind of 'business man' puts his entire £1m into a single subprime-lending building society which had put out a profit warning several months ago?

Oh FFS don't be so ignorant. Think about it: business is about risk. Banks - all banks including the NR, are about as boring and secure as most businessmen can ever envisage. Just because you think the world is permanetly in a state of civil war, revolution and credit default risk, doesn't mean to say the rest of the world does. If it did, we'd all be living underground, drinking water and eating roots.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Northern Rock: Businessman barricades in branch manager for refusing to give him £1 million savings

So a business calls the Police because a customer gets stroppy and wants his asset returned to him? WTF ? It's his money and he has the right to it at any stage. Just because you (the bank) have been caught out lending more money than you have .... hang on that's it isn't it? You PHYSICALLY DON'T HAVE THE MONEY!

What do you call it if someone can't pay their obligations?

HOLA4411
:lol:

Former hotelier Christopher Howard Basil Fawlty, 64, from Torquay, and his wife Fiona Sybil, 48, had been on the Internet all night trying to transfer the cash in their on-line account to another bank.

The customer was arrested having been seen bashing the branch with a handful of tree twigs...

HOLA4412