House Price Crash Forum
dinkelfresser-a

Are All Sales On On A Public Registry?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum (and to the UK), and have noticed two different houses in my neighborhood that no longer have their Cheffins (Cambridge) "for sale" signs in the front yard. One of them most definitely has new residents, sold in late Spring/Summer 07. The other just looks empty, no longer with its "for sale" sign in front. I rent at present (waiting for pending affordability), but eventually look forward to owning.

Naturally I'd like to know how much these apparent sales went for. However they don't show up on sites like http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/. So here's my question: If an agency/owner get less than what they wanted for a given property, are they obliged to make such a sale public? What kind of oversight exists to ensure that sales are accurately recorded to the land registry? Perhaps it just will take another few months for the house down the road to show up. On the other hand I suspect if an broker/agency can get away with it, they'll "manage" sales data to leave the impression that a neighborhood is more expensive than it really is.

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

ro

All info comes from Land Registry database although there are some human errors in the data.

A recent purchase of my own (April) doesn't show at all and I know of others that don't appear.

I don't know why, others might.

There is a delay in sales data feeding through to the data the Land Registry release: this is typically within 6 months (about 97% ish of transactions) although they can feed though for months after that.

You will find that there are 2 different ways that websites display this data: some that display all transactions (since this data was first opened up in April 2000), some which show just the most recent transaction for any particular property. I'll be back shortly to give an example of each...

Hope that helps!

DM