House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Timm

Gold Down By 3.65

:lol::lol::lol:

The funniest thing is I'm actually buying some!

But as insurance rather than investment, and with the very great hope it proves to be a waste of money fiat.

Gold is going up, gold is going down. The question is: what are the volumes and what is the trend? :lol:

Mine was a flippant and peurile post intended only to amuse.

Hovever if you have good info on trade volumes I would be very interested. Even more so if you know who is selling/buying. Yes I know I should read the Gold threads, but they are somewhat, um, long.

Gold is going up, gold is going down. The question is: what are the volumes and what is the trend? :lol:
"Profit unrealised is like a man considering what he will buy with next week's bonus and he dies that very night.
"

Lao Tzu

"Not every correction is a buying opportunity, look at 1929 for example, it took some people until after World War II to recover their losses."

Anon.

The real question is not how much it is going up or down or what the trends are but when do you sell?

The name of all the games is buy low and sell high. Most people lose because they do the first and wait too long before doing the second.

Edited by Realistbear

Mine was a flippant and peurile post intended only to amuse.

Hovever if you have good info on trade volumes I would be very interested. Even more so if you know who is selling/buying. Yes I know I should read the Gold threads, but they are somewhat, um, long.

GOLD

09/13/2007

09:34

If Warren Buffett is buying there is a very good chance gold will go up. He bought two gold jewellry chainstores recently which suggests to me that gold is headed down as expensive tom does not sell as well as cheaper tom.

Buffett said, excluding agricultural products, they do see something of a
bubble in metals
(especially copper) and oil. He said, like most trends, the fundamentals drive it in the beginning. And what the wise man does at the beginning, the fool does at the end. As trends form and gather momentum, they attract a speculative element. Eventually, that element takes over, and then you are in the danger zone. "We are seeing that in the commodity area," Buffett opined.

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/13313/how-to...en-buffett.html

Edited by Realistbear

Big deal. The uptrend is firmly intact.

I don't understand why so many people get excited by the daily noise.

I think it is because speculative commodities have had a nasty habit of "turning on a dime." Snooze you lose idea.

Guest wrongmove
Big deal. The uptrend is firmly intact.

I don't understand why so many people get excited by the daily noise.

Most people don't, but cgnoa has some highly leveraged exposure. Daily noise can shake you out and ruin you in that situation.

Most people don't, but cgnoa has some highly leveraged exposure. Daily noise can shake you out and ruin you in that situation.

100% Correct, Guaranteed infact. :o

What does the price of gold have to do with the price of houses?

Gold is (was?) a good guide as to the perception of risk in the system. Given that houses are a speculative commodity these days, risk and speculation are related and the higher gold the more risk averse the market is becoming--or at least that used to be the theory. Stocks up-gold down etc. But today? WTFK.

Gold is (was?) a good guide as to the perception of risk in the system. Given that houses are a speculative commodity these days, risk and speculation are related and the higher gold the more risk averse the market is becoming--or at least that used to be the theory. Stocks up-gold down etc. But today? WTFK.

People have and can still lose loadsa' money in paper schemes like endowment policies or pension plans.

Many, many people see properety as something they know and can easily work with without the need of a "financial planner" who may or may not rob them blind.

You can call these people lemmings if you like but they are standing shoulder to shoulder between you and your sought after crash.

What does the price of gold have to do with the price of houses?

The average UK house cost 700oz gold in 2004, costs 550oz gold at the moment, and will cost less than 100oz of gold somewhen over the next 5 to 7 years. A good reason to save in gold (IMO). It has all been there before.

On another thread it said some banker predicts houses -50%. Triple gold, and we're there (100oz per house). And, what coincidence, gold was triple the price of now in the early 80s (EDIT: inflation-adjusted that is).

Edited by Goldfinger

Last I heard he'd been stopped at airport customs by a bloke in a uniform wearing a latex glove (the customs office, not CGNAO) ;)

Funny how when gold is rising you can't move for goldbugs and when it pulls back its "noise" :rolleyes:

Guest muttley
The average UK house cost 700oz gold in 2004, costs 550oz gold at the moment, and will cost less than 100oz of gold somewhen over the next 5 to 7 years.

I think this is the bit where you should have inserted "(IMO)"

On another thread it said some banker predicts houses -50%. Triple gold, and we're there (100oz per house).

You would need both things to happen to get to your target. Neither are a given (IMO).

100% Correct, Guaranteed infact. :o

However, if gold starts to rise quickly, the added demand from the banks to buy gold can exacerbate the rally causing what amounts to a mad dash for the metal. The market will respond with steeply higher prices, and Schweitzer sees this pushing gold to $850 by the end of the year.

What is the price that breaks the bank, so to speak? It is hard to say. But with so many factors conspiring to keep the rally going, it does look as if the carry trade is finally about to unwind. Banks that hold big short positions in gold are going to be very vulnerable. Investors sitting on a stash of Krugerrands or Maple Leafs will be a lot happier. :D:lol::P:P

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1189544174...barrons_markets

GOLD_ROCKETS_PAST_THE_MOON.jpg

post-9716-1189704305_thumb.jpg

Guest grumpy-old-man
They want to push it back below $700 but they can't.

MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA

goldng3.gif

Don't forget the signature. 100% correct, guaranteed.

:D:D

Guest Charlie The Tramp
They want to push it back below $700 but they can't.

You just watch, it may take a little while but the all powerful will eventually achieve it.

One hundred percent guaranteed. ;)

BTW what was the average price of gold in the 70s

You just watch, it may take a little while but the all powerful will eventually achieve it.

One hundred percent guaranteed. ;)

BTW what was the average price of gold in the 70s

They have 5 days to get it below $700. If they fail to do it before the 18th and Bernanke lowers US IRs then gold is off to the races again. If I were Bernanke I would want to beat gold and gold mining stocks down before I lowered.

Volcker, in his memoirs, said the biggest mistake central bankers made in the late 70s was to ignore the price of gold and let it get out of control. It took interest rates around 20% to stop that bull run in gold.

You can be sure that Bernanke knows this and will be keeping an eagle eye on the yellow metal.

Edited by Pluto