House Price Crash Forum

Foot N' Mouth

Timil

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
Is it just a coincidence that there happens to be a bio science lab at Egham ?

If I recall correctly there used to be a large animal fat and bone collection and rendering plant in Stroud road where the infected farm is. I wonder were they took the last lot of dead cows ? :ph34r::ph34r:

HOLA444

This kind of blows a theory I had out of the window, I thought the original outbreak was deliberate so Gordon could prove that the Government had learn't lessons and Gordo could fly back from his bucket and spade holiday to prove he was quick to react,

Of course this could be down to my rabbid hatred of Gordon Brown.

HOLA445
If I recall correctly there used to be a large animal fat and bone collection and rendering plant in Stroud road where the infected farm is. I wonder were they took the last lot of dead cows ? :ph34r::ph34r:

Sadly you are incorrect, the culled cows from the recent outbreaks were (so I am told) taken across the country to one of the biggest lifestock areas of England - Wiltshire - for incinaration, sounds a sensible idea if you ask me :unsure:

HOLA446
Sadly you are incorrect, the culled cows from the recent outbreaks were (so I am told) taken across the country to one of the biggest lifestock areas of England - Wiltshire - for incinaration, sounds a sensible idea if you ask me :unsure:

OMG. They probably drove the lorries around the M25 a dozen times on the way just to be sure it would not spread.

HOLA447
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
New outbreak suspected 10 miles from original at Stroude Rd Egham. 3 mile exclusion zone in force movement restrictions coming into force.

More woe.

Are there any vets on here?

Isn't foot and mouth, if left to its own devices, just generally a self limiting illness?

Would we possibly be better off having a good epidemic of it, and having herd immunity in the surviving cattle?

HOLA448
HOLA449
Noo it might be up here in chilly Scotland suspected at Lanark Market.

Hope its just an over zealous jobsworth panic merchant.

If this is confirmed it really is a disaster - I too am hoping this is down to some ministry jobsworth and is a false alarm.

HOLA4410
Are there any vets on here?

Isn't foot and mouth, if left to its own devices, just generally a self limiting illness?

Would we possibly be better off having a good epidemic of it, and having herd immunity in the surviving cattle?

F&M is bad for the livestock, but eating the meat cannot do you harm. That's what I've read.

The disease is basically mouth and foot sores/ulcers and is pretty painful for the livestock.

I'm no vet, but most of europe vaccinate against F&M. Not the UK.

Might be because they get a slightly higher price if not vaccinated ? No idea, really ???

HOLA4411
F&M is bad for the livestock, but eating the meat cannot do you harm. That's what I've read.

The disease is basically mouth and foot sores/ulcers and is pretty painful for the livestock.

I'm no vet, but most of europe vaccinate against F&M. Not the UK.

Might be because they get a slightly higher price if not vaccinated ? No idea, really ???

I am no vet either but have links to agriculture.

From my understanding Europe does not routinely vaccinate against F&M but it is available as a solution for if/when a case is confirmed.

F&M is aparently serious and can be fatal for young stock and cause abortions in pregnant animals. Animals that are infected obviously have problems eating and so loose condition and hence if they do not die are probably worthless.

Just wait for Bluetounge to hit us, the restrictions for that are far worse (100km exclusion zones) it spreads on the wind and by insects and has been confirmed in the Netherlands and another mild winter could well see it here too as it is mostly spread by midges - it has a higher mortality rate than F&M.

HOLA4412
Guest anorthosite
Noo it might be up here in chilly Scotland suspected at Lanark Market.

Hope its just an over zealous jobsworth panic merchant.

The Lanark case has tested negative.

HOLA4413

Archived