Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

T U C Have Just Voted-- Winter Of Discontent Is On

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/unions/stor...2167180,00.html

Winter of discontent fear as TUC backs strikes

David "Dave" Hencke and Patrick "Pat" Wintour

Wednesday September 12, 2007

The Guardian

The TUC set itself on a collision course with Gordon Brown on public sector pay last night by backing strike action by millions of public sector workers, foreshadowing a new "winter of discontent".
Civil servants, local government workers, teachers, transport workers, prison officers and postal workers agreed with a unanimous show of hands at the TUC conference in Brighton to back coordinated strike action against the government's 2% pay limit and privatisation of services.

Oh -oh --will Brown scarper ahead of the trade union revolt? Methinks the miracle has lost its luster in the eyes of the workers who have AT LAST--AT LONG LAST, woken up to the con job of the century: "The Miracle Economy."

UP the Unions!

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

The Guardian

The TUC set itself on a collision course with Gordon Brown on public sector pay last night by backing strike action by millions of public sector workers, foreshadowing a new "winter of discontent".
Civil servants, local government workers, teachers, transport workers, prison officers and postal workers agreed with a unanimous show of hands at the TUC conference in Brighton to back coordinated strike action against the government's 2% pay limit and privatisation of services.

Oh -oh --will Brown scarper ahead of the trade union revolt? Methinks the miracle has lost its luster in the eyes of the workers who have AT LAST--AT LONG LAST, woken up to the con job of the century: "The Miracle Economy."

UP the Unions!

Good, I agree.

2% is ******ing ludicrous given real general inflation.

Most of these workers are not highly paid.

Ok stupid question here...... maybe someone can answer it.

If someone strikes isn't this a breach of contract and hence they can be sacked immediatly? And lose certain pension contributions etc?

Or is it not quite this simple...

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

If someone strikes isn't this a breach of contract and hence they can be sacked immediatly? And lose certain pension contributions etc?

I suggest you join a union.

If the strike has been called lawfully, that is there had been a secret postal ballot, notice given to the employer, a majority in favour, etc. then the industrial action is protected and you can claim unfair dismissal.

If the strike has been called lawfully, that is there had been a secret postal ballot, notice given to the employer, a majority in favour, etc. then the industrial action is protected and you can claim unfair dismissal.

Thanks!

I cant! I'm self employed, hence the question.

I just cant understand how people can not work and get away with it.

I think you can still find a union to join even if you are self employed, for example UCATT if in construction.

If say you was working on a big project like the Olympic stadium and you wasnt getting paid, you could

still do something about it.

The option to down tools if the employer is taking the liberties, is the only effective form of action workers

have. Take that away and they are slaves.

Bring it on baby.

A winter of discontent will be a great trigger for HPC.

I remember the last one. I was in the fire brigade. We turned out at 0400 to a road traffic accident. On the way we demolished a set of traffic lights because the ungritted road was like an ice rink because the gritters were on strike. We cut out a man from his car and put him in the back of the fire engine because the ambulance was on strike. We took the badly injured man to hospital but the staff would not admit him because of strike action at reception. We found another but he later died. His body was in the hosital for quite a while because the mortuary staff and cemetary staff were also on strike. When I went off duty at 0900 I went home and got stuck in the lift for four hours because of the power strike.

Other than that, life was normal that night and you would not be aware of any disruption.

Guest mSparks

Did anyone watch the ONS womens speech and I quote (from memory)

I can see the headlines in the Independant now: Gordon Brown today agreed an 18% pay rise, saying "actually I was misinformed, inflation is currently running at 20%"

Admittedly taken out of context, but still :ph34r:

Brown is shooting himself in the foot. Why not give the Unions what they want to win votes and tighten the belt on rich? If I was a nurse I would politely tell Brown to stick his 1.9% pay rise where the sun doesn’t shine!

Because he has to keep big business on his side and that means anti-union, also I think he is lining up the unions

to be the scapegoat for the bust.

History does seem to be repeating itself, and the comparison to the winter of discontent does seem apt.

Guest Bart of Darkness
If someone strikes isn't this a breach of contract and hence they can be sacked immediatly?

Isn't sacking someone on the spot more difficult these days anyway? Verbal warning, written warning etc.?

Good, I agree.

2% is ******ing ludicrous given real general inflation.

Most of these workers are not highly paid.

...and this money comes from where exactly? oh yes, my pocket.

And where would it stop...a government held to ransom this yr, so what happens next year? In my industry above inflation pay rises are based on performance, if you perform average you get CPI, above average and you get more, why should the public sector be any different?

On the point about these workers not being highly paid. I do not think that anyone should rely on annual pay rises to change a job from "not highly paid" to "OK pay"...if the level of pay is wrong then this is a seperate issue to annual pay increases.

The Guardian

UP the Unions!

They have not woken up to anything. If they had they would know that the country is in trouble and in the forthcoming deflationary enviroment how much will they be giving back?

Exactly. Not one penny. Greedy Nulabour scum.

Striking still legal.

If someone strikes isn't this a breach of contract and hence they can be sacked immediatly? And lose certain pension contributions etc? [abaxas]

With few exceptions it is legal for a union to call its members out on strike providing such action is supported by the majority of the affected members in a secret ballot. Workers can also stage an unofficial strike without a ballot providing it's not supported by their union. Secondary strike action (where workers not in dispute with their employer come out in sympathy or support of others) is now illegal.

There are some categories of workers, such as prison officers, who have signed an agreement with the government not to strike in return for having their pay set by an independent review body. However, the government have broken such agreements by staging the recommended rise (which reduces its value).

Rather than going on strike, the unions could really hit the current regime where it hurts by stopping the Labour Party's funding. With little money coming in to fight an election Brown would soon settle.

ONS pay rise?

One wonders if the statisticians who compile the government's Corrupt Price Index and Rigged Price Index are also subject to a staged 2% rise. Maybe they receive an annual bonus or promotion for a job well done?

And where would it stop...a government held to ransom this yr, so what happens next year? In my industry above inflation pay rises are based on performance, if you perform average you get CPI, above average and you get more, why should the public sector be any different?

On the point about these workers not being highly paid. I do not think that anyone should rely on annual pay rises to change a job from "not highly paid" to "OK pay"...if the level of pay is wrong then this is a seperate issue to annual pay increases.

They are only asking for a pay increase to cover for inflation, those that are on lower wages get hit

hardest if they dont this. It can make the difference between keeping your head above water or not because

they on the breadline. This was the case in the winter of discontent, those workers were not making ends meet and had no choice but to go on strke, and were demonised for it.

Because he has to keep big business on his side and that means anti-union

Does he not understand that the big business won't win him the election?

also I think he is lining up the unions to be the scapegoat for the bust.

If he really thinks he can blame the unions for coming bust, he is an ultra-idiot!

They are only asking for a pay increase to cover for inflation, those that are on lower wages get hit

hardest if they dont this. It can make the difference between keeping your head above water or not because

they on the breadline. This was the case in the winter of discontent, those workers were not making ends meet and had no choice but to go on strke, and were demonised for it.

but the official inflation figure is <2%...we could argue whether this is fact or not, but that is what is published and what other businesses use. Why should public sector be any different?

As I said above, if there is a problem with the level of pay generally then this should be addressed, but I view this as different to negotiating annual pay rises.

Bring it on baby.

A winter of discontent will be a great trigger for HPC.

I remember the last one. I was in the fire brigade. We turned out at 0400 to a road traffic accident. On the way we demolished a set of traffic lights because the ungritted road was like an ice rink because the gritters were on strike. We cut out a man from his car and put him in the back of the fire engine because the ambulance was on strike. We took the badly injured man to hospital but the staff would not admit him because of strike action at reception. We found another but he later died. His body was in the hosital for quite a while because the mortuary staff and cemetary staff were also on strike. When I went off duty at 0900 I went home and got stuck in the lift for four hours because of the power strike.

Other than that, life was normal that night and you would not be aware of any disruption.

:blink:

I think everyone would agree that public sector workers shouldn't get a free lunch, but if you turn this question around, is it fair that someone who is working at their expected performance level should receive a pay cut for no fault of their own? 1.9% is pay cut in real terms -- it's far below the 4% that RPI has been running lately and is even below CPI (which has very little to do with the real cost of living). Public sector pay cuts are Gordon Brown's way of making the little guy pay for his shenanigans of forcing the Bank of England to adopt the CPI as an inflation target and setting of a credit boom.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Is this the same TUC who had a stand at a British Embassy Seminar in Warsaw informing potential Polish migrants of the wonderful opportunities awaiting them in the UK which led to wages being controlled. ?

Yes RB up the TUC, right up them.

There will be no winter of discontent by the sheeple as you refer to them as they can`t afford to strike at least not for long periods. Brown knows it as you will see the Thatcher in him come out. ;)

1.9% is pay cut in real terms -- it's far below the 4% that RPI has been running lately and is even below CPI (which has very little to do with the real cost of living).

Not to mention the colossal increase in basics such as putting a roof over your head.