House Price Crash Forum

Uk Private Car Sales Down 21%

bobdylan

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
That is one hell of a fall.

New cars are the number 1 MEW purchase, It'll be interesting to see what goes over next

holiday bookings? DIY purchases?

What's the MEW number 2?

New kitchens and other household improvements must be high on the list, which aren't strictly MEW by BoE definition as it is reinvested into the housing stock, but this won't be any consolation to MFI and DFS.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
I do have to change my car this Spring - can't put it off much longer - so this is good news. I believe second hand prices are falling through the floor also.

Reg Vardy currently have a near enough near Renault Modus. Launched in September it cost £12,500 new. Yours for £8,300.

HOLA4414
Reg Vardy currently have a near enough near Renault Modus. Launched in September it cost £12,500 new. Yours for £8,300.

I have been waiting for B&Q to falter for some time now..... Fall in lending was my first marker.

Shouldn't be too long now before they can't avoid looking officially quiet as they were today.

After a lunchtime saunter around the leting agencies in Aberdeen today I can confirm that the city is 'awash' with one bedroom and two bedroom flats available to rent tommorow. Quiate a few come with incentives such as DVD player and tv combo and Skybox.

Not quite the healthy market TTRTR portrays............ in his mind that is.

HOLA4415

Yes, if you look at sites like Whatcar and Parkers they will show you that many cars now lose HALF their value in the first 12 months. It is staggering. Many others lose a third.

Your typical new family car costing about 15K will be worth a third of that in 3 years. A friend recently bought a 2001 Avensis, old model, for 6K whereas back in late 2001 itwas 16K.

You can get top of the range Mondeo Ghias at 1 year old for 10K and 1 year old Avensis, new model, for 11 - 12K. The Vectra can be got at 1 year old for about 8K which is a full HALF of it's new price.

The BMW 3 Series is interesting - more of them are now sold in the UK than Mondeos which says an awful lot about what has been going on in the UK economy of late. Again, the 12 month old value of these, which used to hold up, is now plummeting.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
That is one hell of a fall.

New cars are the number 1 MEW purchase, It'll be interesting to see what goes over next

holiday bookings? DIY purchases?

What's the MEW number 2?

I think you'll find home improvements (new kitchens, extentions etc,)

I was told by a colleague who designs kitchens that he is losing sales due to a hold in in planning approval

Haven't checked the figures myself, but he told me that planning applications are at their highest level since the late eighties/early nineties

From memory that was just about the time of the last HPC

HOLA4418
I think you'll find home improvements (new kitchens, extentions etc,)

I was told by a colleague who designs kitchens that he is losing sales due to a hold in in planning approval

Haven't checked the figures myself, but he told me that planning applications are at their highest level since the late eighties/early nineties

From memory that was just about the time of the last HPC

Spending is like a drug. MEW is addicting because of the "risk" aspect. Shopaholicism is a real disease. Constant fixes are needed. Can't sell the home, don't worry you can always spend more money by adding a little stone cladding to the outside or a faux gable over the front door! :lol:

Major Equity Withdrawal?

House prices are a matter of opinion, whereas debt is real. Merv King, BoE, 2004

HOLA4419

This derives from two effects

1. Can't move so lets fix up the family nest (and has all been done on MEW / credit cards) You will get a lot more of this as people with additions to the family will convert lofts (the number of loft conversions down our road in the last year is outstanding..must be 50% of the housing stock now)

2. Let's move but first we need to sort out that shabby kitchen / store room / conservatory...or extend the loft and call it an extra bedroom with on suite.

All signs it's about to go horribly wrong. Just have to wait for the election + a couple of months for it to get up to full speed and then can start putting in really stupid offers (around 30 - 50 % below asking)

HOLA4420

MEW in terms of value is roughly in this order.not neccesarily in terms of popularity..if that is the yardstick then MEW2 is top.

MEW1 is BTL,holiday home(70k-150k)

MEW2 is new car(15-30k roughly)

MEW 3 is home improvements...new extensions/kitchens.

big ticket purchase,both of these will set you back 15k+for extension

6k for kitchen approx.

both of these will have knock-on effects for construction workers/fitters.

MEW 4 is long-haul package holidays.(3k for family of 4)

MEW 5 is new consumer goods+peripherals...this is really a mixture of small value items,mostly electrical goods like fridge-freezers+pc's and usually bought with the capital from MEW in combination with one of the top 3.

a small minority choose to MEW for fees to send their kids to a good public school but these are a rare breed and run against the trend by investing in the future(of their children).I think the stats are pretty plain,most folk blow all their money on the here-and-now.

some MEW are already in debt so they MEW further to consolidate,but don't usually curb their free-spending habits.These guys are in deep sh1t!!!

HOLA4421
Don't think so. According to SMMT figures for Jan 2005, 5394 mondeos were sold compared to a total of 4434 BMWs (all BMWs, not just 3 series).

Are you an EA? Do you usually take one month's figures and believe that is the absolute info? I much prefer to take multiple sources of info, Parkers and Whactar being but two of the most respected, and make my own mind up. Both comment on how more BMW 3 are now sold in the UK last year than Mondeos - both in the new and secondhand market. The BMW 3 is, no matter what any BMW 3 owner might like to think, a more common car than a Mondeo.

In this month's Whatcar an article on the numbers of BMW 3 series available comments:

"...BMW seems to be going for market share and residuals are nothing like they were. The best deals can be had on the 316, 318 and 320, which lose 34% of their value in the first year, but all petrol and Touring models depricate heavilly."

The interesting thing about the big increase in BMW 3 sales in the UK in recent years is that:

1. The BMW 3 is quite a dated car now, with a replacement due this Summer, but, oddly, as the current 3 has come to the end of its life it has seen sales soar. So alot of people have been buying into a car which is very old hat in terms of technology. That cockpit is very dated indeed. Also, in the last JD Power reliability survey BMW were in the BOTTOM half.

2. So many people moving 'upmarket' to a BMW in the hope to avoid the depreciation that some other makes suffer, (OK, many also wanted the BMW snob feeling), have actually caused the very depreciation they had aimed to avoid - that and the fact that BMW sales people now have very high volume targets - which is both ironic and hilarious!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Are you an EA? Do you usually take one month's figures and believe that is the absolute info?

Here are the sales figures for all of 2004, by model. Source is the SMMT. Notice that the Mondeo appears in this list, but the BMW 3 series does not.

Focus 141,021

Corsa 101,625

Fiesta 89,295

206 86,605

Mégane 86,569

Astra 85,087

Clio 72,412

Golf 69,784

Mondeo 60,441

307 58,742

Probably what you read in What Car, Parkers etc is that *private* buyers buy more 3 series than Mondeos, which may be true. But the Mondeo is still a more common car on our roads, due to its popularity with fleet buyers.

HOLA4424

In our garage we have had a influx of people trying to downsize their cars lately. Or trying to re-sell them to pay off finance. They look very worried when they are informed we aren't increasing our stock at present due to a slowdown in sales.

Thankfully the workshop is busy so their is money coming in. But the tale tale sign of missed servicing is coming back which we saw in the early 1990's. Looks to me like money is getting tight on the car front.

HOLA4425
Are you an EA? Do you usually take one month's figures and believe that is the absolute info? I much prefer to take multiple sources of info, Parkers and Whactar being but two of the most respected, and make my own mind up. Both comment on how more BMW 3 are now sold in the UK last year than Mondeos - both in the new and secondhand market. The BMW 3 is, no matter what any BMW 3 owner might like to think, a more common car than a Mondeo.

In this month's Whatcar an article on the numbers of BMW 3 series available comments:

"...BMW seems to be going for market share and residuals are nothing like they were. The best deals can be had on the 316, 318 and 320, which lose 34% of their value in the first year, but all petrol and Touring models depricate heavilly."

The interesting thing about the big increase in BMW 3 sales in the UK in recent years is that:

1. The BMW 3 is quite a dated car now, with a replacement due this Summer, but, oddly, as the current 3 has come to the end of its life it has seen sales soar. So alot of people have been buying into a car which is very old hat in terms of technology. That cockpit is very dated indeed. Also, in the last JD Power reliability survey BMW were in the BOTTOM half.

2. So many people moving 'upmarket' to a BMW in the hope to avoid the depreciation that some other makes suffer, (OK, many also wanted the BMW snob feeling), have actually caused the very depreciation they had aimed to avoid - that and the fact that BMW sales people now have very high volume targets - which is both ironic and hilarious!

I think you will find that the figures showing that more BMW 3's sell than Mondeos refers to private sales.

And I would imagine that any BMW would be much nicer to drive fast than a Mondeo - no matter how many other people have them :)