House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zhinzhon

Manchester Is On The Up

Most of us on here are well aware that the bull run in property is over, or is it. All my collegues and I have been talking about this week is city center flats and studios in Manchester.

Why the sudden interest ?

Well, we are part of a firm putting together the bbc website team that will be based out of Salford Quays in 2009-2010.

Fact 20,000+ BBC professionals will be either transfer or hired locally for the new BBC headquater is Manchester in 2 or 3 years time.

They have already broken earth with the building works. Rumour around city center manchester offices is that all these people will be mostly buying city center flats and so we are all in a bit of a tizwas.

What do you think ?

Is there still life in the old dog of investing to sell later or are we kidding ourselves.

Edited by zhinzhon

Fact 20,000+ BBC professionals will be either transfer or hired locally for the new BBC headquater is Manchester in 2 or 3 years time.

Non fact above, The BBC only employs 26,000 people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bbc#_note-24

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6708383.stm

The BBC will move five London-based departments, including two television channels and two radio networks, to Salford Quays. They are:

#

BBC Children's (including CBBC and CBeebies television and radio)

#

BBC Children's Learning

#

Parts of BBC Future Media & Technology (including BBC Research & Development)

#

BBC Radio Five Live (including Five Live Sports Extra)

#

BBC Sport

The move will see approximately 1,500 London-based posts will relocating to Salford Quays in 2011.

#

BBC Children's (including CBBC and CBeebies television and radio)

#

BBC Children's Learning

#

Parts of BBC Future Media & Technology (including BBC Research & Development)

#

BBC Radio Five Live (including Five Live Sports Extra)

#

BBC Sport

The move will see approximately 1,500 London-based posts will relocating to Salford Quays in 2011.

Edited by enrieb

i read a lot about the north having turned -ve, but i live in north cheshire and work in Manchester and i know for certain that the market continues to move on and houses keep selling. good houses, in good areas, go in a matter of weeks.

i know this isn't city centre appartments (of which i don't know the situation) but i know that the average picture hides a lot.

That does not concurr with official figures given to us and many others doing transitional work for the BBC.

Definite fact : BBC Manchester on Oxford Road alone, will be closing completely alone which employes 1200 personnel. That doesnt even include anyone from London.

Please check your facts and repost please.

Edited by zhinzhon

That does not concurr with official figures given to us and many others doing transitional work for the BBC.

Definite fact : BBC Manchester on Oxford Road alone, will be closing completely alone which employes 1200 personnel. That doesnt even include anyone from London.

Dear Moron, please read the link that I posted It was a link to the BBC they ran the story, they should know, please can you back any of your 'facts' up with any credible links and where is the link to these official figures you talk about, you cannot get more official than the link that I posted.

This quote taken from the link I posted, the one that you probably still have not read.

Around 800 staff currently based at the BBC in Manchester will also move to the new site.
Edited by enrieb

No way 20,000 extra TV Jobs ! probably less than 2000 which gets us back to the TV job numbers of 10 yrs ago in Manchester (it has been in decline)

Most Manchester based TV people live in the suburbs and BBC salaries are not high £25k - £50k for the most part and they will be on short contracts of 3 - 6 months so do not expect a boom in demand for property being bought although the rental market would get a boost but the rent will have to be cheap as young media people living in the City will be on low pay and will spend the money partying.

The extra jobs will not replace the jobs that are about to be lost in the Finance sector in Manchester.

Edited by HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR U

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
How many BTL numpties do you think there are hanging on to their flats thinking that 20,000 BBC people are going to arrive

Sssh! It's a good way of bankrupting money laundering criminals who are trying to go legit, then letting the government get some cheap social housing units at auction.

Sssh! It's a good way of bankrupting money laundering criminals who are trying to go legit, then letting the government get some cheap social housing units at auction.

Locally isolated booms will always happen.

Love your sig! I hope psi-function includes spin! :lol:

Definite fact : BBC Manchester on Oxford Road alone, will be closing completely alone which employes 1200 personnel. That doesn't even include anyone from London.

OMG FACT teh BBC are going to close the Oxford Road building!!! Thats probably why flat prices have fallen by up to 5 percent already in central Manchester FACT.

Link to substanicate the second FACT stated above

http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/site/postcode/m1

How many BTL numpties do you think there are hanging on to their flats thinking that 20,000 BBC people are going to arrive

Manchester has no shortage numptys, Btls are a super special numpty of the breed.

Yeah l can imagine all them senior luvvies sending themselves to Manchester. Spontaneous combustion as they cross the London orbital or seppuku in Islington High Street is my guess.

OK I am sorry, I hold my hands up and must admit that I was wrong in my above post where I claimed that prices in central manchester have fallen by up to 5 percent.

Its only fair that I admit to my mistake especially when I have been critical of the thread starter for inaccurate claims. I even posted a link to support my claim, yet after looking further into the subject it turns out that prices have fallen by up to 15 percent. I just wanted to apologize for my mistake

http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/site/postcode/m3

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
zhinzhon is obviously an extra super special numpty of the breed.

Manchester, well known for its grief athletes.

It will be fine at the rate they'v e been building flats in manchester even if it was 20,000 arriving they could probably have three flats each.

It looks more like Manhattan than Manchester these days.

Manchester, well known for its grief athletes.

.....Bobby Charlton...Denis Law....grief.....wrong city ....wrong country....believe there are Machesters in US.....suggest you take a trip of self discovery....for inner and outer self..... :lol::lol::lol::P

All my collegues and I have been talking about this week is city center flats and studios in Manchester.

Why the sudden interest ?

Well, we are part of a firm putting together the bbc website team that will be based out of Salford Quays in 2009-2010.

Why the sudden interest indeed - are you so desperate to sell that you have to make up stories?

I work in TV and I live in Manchester can categorically state you are talking absolute bo77ox.

It wont be ready until 2011/12 either you fkn knob - why dont you get your facts straight - go peddle your property somewhere else.

Manchester city centre is dying on its a7se anyone who lives up here knows that.

i read a lot about the north having turned -ve, but i live in north cheshire and work in Manchester and i know for certain that the market continues to move on and houses keep selling. good houses, in good areas, go in a matter of weeks.

i know this isn't city centre appartments (of which i don't know the situation) but i know that the average picture hides a lot.

I too live in north Cheshire and can show you houses that have been on the market for about 2 years.

There is also a huge oversupply of flats around Hale/Alty/Sale/Timperley and a very large number of £1 million+ houses coming onto the market.

You would be surprised how many people believe this guff.

Still can they hang on with an empty flat for another 4 years?

Thats the question.

Flats up here will cost about half of what they do now in about 2 years.

Why the sudden interest indeed - are you so desperate to sell that you have to make up stories?

I work in TV and I live in Manchester can categorically state you are talking absolute bo77ox.

It wont be ready until 2011/12 either you fkn knob - why dont you get your facts straight - go peddle your property somewhere else.

Manchester city centre is dying on its a7se anyone who lives up here knows that.

I too live in north Cheshire and can show you houses that have been on the market for about 2 years.

There is also a huge oversupply of flats around Hale/Alty/Sale/Timperley and a very large number of £1 million+ houses coming onto the market.

You would be surprised how many people believe this guff.

Still can they hang on with an empty flat for another 4 years?

Thats the question.

Flats up here will cost about half of what they do now in about 2 years.

Another north Cheshire resident here, and you are absolutely right!

Huge numbers of flats have been snapped up by highly geared BTL speculators and are standing empty thoughout the region.

Houses are just not shifting! We moved house 18 month ago and many of the places we looked at then are still on the market!

And have you ever been to Salford Quays on a windy day in November? It looks and feels like a desolate Stalinist social housing development in Siberia!

Given that 40% of new build flats in Salford are presently lying empty and new developments are springing up all the time, I think there will be a lot of people who will lose their shirts. Especially given that I can't see too many luvvies wanting to move to Salford - they wouldn't last two minutes!

The type of people who have bought the flats are those who are "in the know" and think they are going to make a killing - unfortunately the only people buying in the area are other investors who are also "in the know"! :lol: