Realistbear

Unbelievable! They Are Issuing Instructions To Survive Recession

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/07092007/35/five-w...-recession.html

Five Ways To Prepare For A Recession

Market Comment

[ September 7, 2007 ]

By Malcolm "Malc" Wheatley
Is Britain headed for a recession?
As Fool writer David Stevenson argued here, the signs are certainly worrying. I've lived and worked through three recessions (1980-82, 1990-91, and 2001-2002), even losing my job in one of them. While recession itself is by no means certain, what is certain is that if recession does lie ahead, the prospects could be ugly:
Britons' personal debt has now soared to more than £1.3 trillion, leaving us collectively more exposed to a downturn than ever before.
If recession comes, the scenario to avoid is one that unfortunately traps countless families each time that there's a downturn. The story is sadly familiar.
Through job losses or reduced hours, income suddenly plummets, leaving personal finances hopelessly exposed
to high levels of household expenditure and debt payments. Worse, asset prices fall, making it harder to raise money by downsizing or selling those cars, expensive consumer electronics and other pricey items that the debts represent.
Here's how to minimise the risk of being caught in the trap. Unfortunately, unemployment and shorter hours may still beckon, but at least your finances will be bullet-proof!
1. Defer or delay big purchases, unless paying by cash
2. Build an emergency fund
3. Live a more frugal lifestyle
4. Reduce your debt burden
5. Boost your income

I do agree with point one. But note well the comment that the UK is vulnerable--we are more in debt than any other nation on the planet and this means that we go down harder than most. This is thanks to Gordon and his magic economy where house prices are real and debt is illusion.

I am finding all of this a bit surreal. I had a conversation a couple of months back with a consultant for one of the big HIgh Street banks and he thouyght that the sceario had depression written all over it. With articles like the above being published there are a LOT of people who are expecting the worst.

Great Crash 2 started off as a housing related problem but it is clear that it is not going to be contained within the housing arena. Neither is it just a US/UK problem--its global this time.

It is unbelievable that there are any bulls or neithers left on this website. If people are still blind to what is happening they must be deliberately being so as some form of sick trolling exercise. People need to know that things are in bad shape and to take cover as we are entering a very dangerous period in our history.

Market Comment

[ September 7, 2007 ]

As Fool writer David Stevenson argued here, the signs are certainly worrying. I've lived and worked through three recessions (1980-82, 1990-91, and 2001-2002), even losing my job in one of them. While recession itself is by no means certain, what is certain is that if recession does lie ahead, the prospects could be ugly:
Britons' personal debt has now soared to more than £1.3 trillion, leaving us collectively more exposed to a downturn than ever before.
If recession comes, the scenario to avoid is one that unfortunately traps countless families each time that there's a downturn. The story is sadly familiar.
Through job losses or reduced hours, income suddenly plummets, leaving personal finances hopelessly exposed
to high levels of household expenditure and debt payments. Worse, asset prices fall, making it harder to raise money by downsizing or selling those cars, expensive consumer electronics and other pricey items that the debts represent.
Here's how to minimise the risk of being caught in the trap. Unfortunately, unemployment and shorter hours may still beckon, but at least your finances will be bullet-proof!
5. Boost your income

I do agree with point one. But note well the comment that the UK is vulnerable--we are more in debt than any other nation on the planet and this means that we go down harder than most. This is thanks to Gordon and his magic economy where house prices are real and debt is illusion.

I am finding all of this a bit surreal. I had a conversation a couple of months back with a consultant for one of the big HIgh Street banks and he thouyght that the sceario had depression written all over it. With articles like the above being published there are a LOT of people who are expecting the worst.

Great Crash 2 started off as a housing related problem but it is clear that it is not going to be contained within the housing arena. Neither is it just a US/UK problem--its global this time.

It is unbelievable that there are any bulls or neithers left on this website. If people are still blind to what is happening they must be deliberately being so as some form of sick trolling exercise. People need to know that things are in bad shape and to take cover as we are entering a very dangerous period in our history.

If them out there are issuing instructions to survive recession, that means we should be looking at how to survive depression.

Market Comment

[ September 7, 2007 ]

5. Boost your income

Hmm well I suppose the advice has to be better than Tony Bliars advice last time things looked to be taking a dip "Lets spend our way out of recession". He neglected to elaborate further on just WHOSE money we should use lol Shm...shmee....SMEGHEEEEEED :rolleyes:

It is unbelievable that there are any bulls or neithers left on this website.

A neither is a well balanced individual. Neither manic (bull) nor depressive (bear). Although thinking about it perhaps a neither by definition is a manic depressive. There does seem a lot of neithers on this site I must admit.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
A neither is a well balanced individual. Neither manic (bull) nor depressive (bear). Although thinking about it perhaps a neither by definition is a manic depressive. There does seem a lot of neithers on this site I must admit.

You're just hoping for external validation of your normalcy, Weirdface.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Guest Shedfish

will we have a nice little stick man leaflet from the government through our doors, along the lines of 'what to do in the event of a nuclear war'?

get some lead and sit in it. if you can

chew nettles to stave off migraine

keep any bits that fall off and recycle

give your gold to the government so they can make bombers etc

5. Boost your income[/indent]

It boils down to

1. Live a more frugal lifestyle

2. Boost your income.

The other three emerge out of the practice of those two.

You're just hoping for external validation of your normalcy, Weirdface.

At least it means I might get an upgrade to regular on this site. Do you really think that my face is weird ?

A recession and a winter of discontent - how retro. All we need are power cuts and flared trousers to make a come back.

And 1980's property prices would be very welcome too.

It has happened in Japan....