House Price Crash Forum

Original Thinking In A Derivatives Market

HOLA441

Here's an interesting one from The Register. Typically tongue-in-cheek, too ;)

At some point in the latter decades of the 20th century, someone sat down and thought: wouldn't it be nice if all the money in the world was controlled by scientists rather than accountants and nice chaps from Eton?

Now, as we march headlong into the 21st century, full of sub-prime fallout, to a decent approximation, what we're seeing is just that: a better quality of screwup.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/07/de...tive_modelling/

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Making financial weapons of mass destruction instead of physical ones. Outcome the same.

Oh please! I suppose you're some earth-mother who shuns all medical and technological advances and has somehow managed to post this with the aid of a power pyramid and telepathy.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Nah I'm a ex-nurse who used to work with magnetic resonance actually. Bit harsh!

True, it was a bit harsh, and seeing as I've benefitted from NMR more than once, I'll apologise for my tone. Nonetheless, I'm about as fed up as I can be with the modern malaise of knocking science and bigging up alternative. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from, being a nurse (not sure you ever become an ex-nurse, just one who no longer works in the profession).

HOLA447
True, it was a bit harsh, and seeing as I've benefitted from NMR more than once, I'll apologise for my tone. Nonetheless, I'm about as fed up as I can be with the modern malaise of knocking science and bigging up alternative. I'm sure you understand where I'm coming from, being a nurse (not sure you ever become an ex-nurse, just one who no longer works in the profession).

Indeed I do understand the science knocking brigade. I have difficulty with science for profit , as opposed to pure research, so little of which seems to happen these days.