House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Realistbear

Wild Card Played That Could Boost Gold And Drop Sm

Bloomberg: Norway have scrambled fighters to head off a flight of heavy Soviet Bombers normally armed with nukes. Can't find any other links.

This could be real good for gold. Real good.

Back to the cold war folks. :(

Edit: It was us! Unless the Norway incident is a separate issue. Maybe they are coming in from all angles? :o Quick sell all BTLs and overgeared property.......................

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20070906/tpl...-b64c7e7_6.html

LONDON (Reuters) - LONDON (Reuters) -The air force scrambled four Tornado warplanes on Thursday to intercept eight Russian long-range bombers, the Ministry of Defence said.
The ministry said the Russian aircraft had not entered British air space.
"In the early hours of this morning four RAF (Royal Air Force) Tornado F3 aircraft from RAF Leeming and RAF Waddington (bases) were launched to intercept eight Russian Bear aircraft which had not entered UK air space," it said in a statement.
The Tupolev Tu-95, codenamed "Bear" by NATO, is Russia's equivalent of the U.S. B-52 bomber and is a Cold War icon.
Russia's defence ministry published a statement earlier on Thursday which said 14 Russian strategic bombers had started long-range routine patrol operations on Wednesday evening over the Pacific, the Atlantic and the Arctic.
Relations between London and Moscow are at their worst since the Cold War
. Russia's refusal to extradite Andrei Lugovoy, a former KGB bodyguard suspected of murdering emigre Alexander Litvinenko in London last year, led to tit-for-tat expulsions of diplomats from both countries.

Bloomberg: Norway have scrambled fighters to head off a flight of heavy Soviet Bombers normally armed with nukes. Can't find any other links.

Back to the cold war folks. :(

Russia's actions are a bit of a joke aren't they? Taking planes that are decades old out of mothballs as a show of strength strikes me as pretty pathetic. The Nato air forces are just using it as a bit of practice.

Russia's actions are a bit of a joke aren't they? Taking planes that are decades old out of mothballs as a show of strength strikes me as pretty pathetic. The Nato air forces are just using it as a bit of practice.

They might be old planes but just think with a gung ho Soviet at the helm and a few nukes tucked in bomb bay.............

FRACTIOUS TIES
Ties between Russia and the European Union have also deteriorated of late over issues such as energy policy, Kosovo and Moscow's treatment of European firms operating there.

Might be too soon to be cheering on any demise of the US eh Tuffers? :o

On the contrary - the "Bear" is still an excellent and viable weapons platform for standoff cruise missle deployment. The Typhoon on the other hand.. now THATS a joke.

One on the British taxpayer!

I thought you were cheering on the demise of the US as the necessary precursor to a crash over here? :blink:

RB has dollars. Russian planes were not armed with nukes. RB broke one of the 10 commandments.

I know of a gentleman in his 70s who was a bit of a rascal in his youth. Someone beat up one of his sons. He did not hesitate to avenge this. Just because something is old does not make it less ferocious or formidable.

They might be old planes but just think with a gung ho Soviet at the helm and a few nukes tucked in bomb bay.............

FRACTIOUS TIES
Ties between Russia and the European Union have also deteriorated of late over issues such as energy policy, Kosovo and Moscow's treatment of European firms operating there.

Might be too soon to be cheering on any demise of the US eh Tuffers? :o

Currently investigating adding value by building a bomb shelter and baked bean store in the garden. Will I have to pay extra council tax? After the big crash - bang, whallop - will there be anyone to collect it? This may be the best tax avoidance plan yet devised.

CRASH WARNING ADVISORY: SELL GOLD - (melting point too low.)

I know of a gentleman in his 70s who was a bit of a rascal in his youth. Someone beat up one of his sons. He did not hesitate to avenge this. Just because something is old does not make it less ferocious or formidable.

My point was that as a demonstration that the Russian military is back in business it's pretty feeble to bring out the hardware they've had for years. They'd have been much better off shooting down a satellite like the Chinese :ph34r:

My point was that as a demonstration that the Russian military is back in business it's pretty feeble to bring out the hardware they've had for years. They'd have been much better off shooting down a satellite like the Chinese :ph34r:

Dunno about that - just by flying a few bombers out on patrol it's forcing us to up our state of alert. This drains resources that are already at breaking point thanks to our adventures in the middle east.

China is playing a blinder though - by demonstrating anti-satellite missles and showing a desire to fund a scram-jet program they may be attempting to push the U.S into a arms race it can no longer afford.

ScramJet research

Dunno about that - just by flying a few bombers out on patrol it's forcing us to up our state of alert. This drains resources that are already at breaking point thanks to our adventures in the middle east.

China is playing a blinder though - by demonstrating anti-satellite missles and showing a desire to fund a scram-jet program they may be attempting to push the U.S into a arms race it can no longer afford.

ScramJet research

Perhaps the Russians and the Chinese are working in concert.

I would have thought Russia has more to fear from the Chinese than the US.

Have you read Tom Clancy's 'The Bear and the Dragon'?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

U.K., Norway Send Jets to Intercept Russian Aircraft (Update2)

By Robin Stringer and Sebastian Alison

Sept. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Four U.K. Royal Air Force Tornado jets were launched to intercept eight Russian strategic bombers, the British Ministry of Defence said. Two aircraft from the Norwegian air force also trailed Russia's planes.

The RAF Tornado F3 jet fighters were scrambled early today to intercept the Soviet-era Russian bombers ``which had not entered U.K. airspace,'' the ministry said in an e-mailed statement. The ministry didn't elaborate on how close the RAF aircraft got to the Russian planes.

Jon Inge Oegland, a Royal Norwegian Air Force Wing Commander based at Stavanger, said in a telephone interview the Russian aircraft ``flew in early today at six in the morning and were met by two Norwegian fighter planes, who trailed them for a while.'' He didn't specify exactly where the Russian bombers were.....

That's an analysis shared by some of my Russian friends especially as the Chinese are basically colonising the Russian Far East with massive illegal immigration. Perhaps the Shanghai Co-operation Organisation is a latter day Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.

Meanwhile in another part of town...

Syria accused Israel of bombing its territory on Thursday and said it could respond to the Jewish state's "aggression and treachery".

Israel declined to comment on the charge by Syria, which said no casualties or damage were caused. The Syrian accusation was partly responsible for triggering a rise in world oil prices of more than $1.40 a barrel.

"It appears that the Israeli planes were on a reconnaissance mission when they got caught by Syrian defenses and were forced to drop their bombs and extra fuel tanks," said a Western diplomat in Syria's capital Damascus. He declined to be named.

The Russians and Chinese have conducted joint large-scale military exercises together last month. It was called "Peace Mission 2007" and was the first exercise that the Russians and Chinese have done together on Russian soil. This follows "Peace Mission 2005" held in August of that year which was the first ever of its kind. These exercises are being done to strengthen the ties between members of the SCO or Shanghai Cooperative Organisation, which was set up to challenge NATO and more specifically US interests in the region. China has the world's largest forex reserves and Russia has the third largest and so both countries are well placed to fight a war on the financial front as well. In the near future, Europe may once again be in the long red shadow cast from the East

Best,

L

At the moment though they may share a common goal in the desire to curb U.S. influence in the middle east and in Central Asia. It's a Win/Win for China and Russia. If the U.S. does not join a new arms race it risks loosing superpower status. If it does compete, then it risks diverting resources from Iraq and Afghanistan and potentially losing in both theatres. This alone might finish the U.S. as a world power.

The germans were fooled by Russia and look what happened to them.

if Russia and China are togeather then the USA stands no chance using conventional weapons and we all know what happens if nukes are used.

Make no mistake about the Russians and only a fool would write them off

I have read in several places that the Sunburst anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM) of Russian origin is one of the most powerful of its kind. So powerful that it can even defeat the US Aegis system. It is also reported that Iran possesses 16 of these missiles.

Is the Sunburst really so capable? Can it spell the end of US naval supremacy?

Just another reason to consider stocking up on food but i still think it will be an economic meltdown that forces people to start needing a large stash of food.

On the contrary - the "Bear" is still an excellent and viable weapons platform for standoff cruise missle deployment. The Typhoon on the other hand.. now THATS a joke.

One on the British taxpayer!

The Typhoon is an absolute mother-hubbard of an aircraft - make no mistake. So the Bear is a big craft that can carry cruise missiles. What's so special about that? what about the B52? That's fairly good. When it comes to strike aircraft 'we' can rustle up the Typhoon which is an ****-kicker par excellance and the positively evil Raptor.

More than a match for however-many Sukhoi Flankers I think you'd find. Plus Typhoon is much easier to learn to fly which is handy because airforces lose pilots quicker than aeroplanes...

Guest Bart of Darkness

SELL, SELL, SELL!

Oh no! RB bullish on gold - the top must be in!!! :ph34r:

SELL, SELL, SELL!

There's something strangely re-assuring about Russian bombers taking to the skies.

I've got a bit fed up with all this Taleban/Mahdi army sh*t.

You think that's a bomb? THIS is a bomb(ski)!

Maybe its a good excuse to intern Abramovich and all his chums as a precautionary measure as well. Now that really would kick off an HPC.

The Typhoon is an absolute mother-hubbard of an aircraft - make no mistake. So the Bear is a big craft that can carry cruise missiles. What's so special about that? what about the B52? That's fairly good. When it comes to strike aircraft 'we' can rustle up the Typhoon which is an ****-kicker par excellance and the positively evil Raptor.

More than a match for however-many Sukhoi Flankers I think you'd find. Plus Typhoon is much easier to learn to fly which is handy because airforces lose pilots quicker than aeroplanes...

But how quickly and at what cost will the typhoons and raptors get to the front lines - compared to the more traditional technologies of russia? The germans had a problem with technologically superior kit that was just slower + more costly to build. Attrition destroyed them.

There's something strangely re-assuring about Russian bombers taking to the skies.

I've got a bit fed up with all this Taleban/Mahdi army sh*t.

You think that's a bomb? THIS is a bomb(ski)!

Maybe its a good excuse to intern Abramovich and all his chums as a precautionary measure as well. Now that really would kick off an HPC.

But arent we forgetting something? Oh whoops we just HAPPEN to have US/UK in Afghanistan allegedly fighting taleban and so on-the strategic interest in Afghanistan is the same as it's always been in this context I would like to bet...lets not forget why the poppies got grown there in the first place-ah yes to fund the Afghan offensive against the USSR wasnt it :):( Edit: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6975934.stm Think this is a bit rich n'all really pot/kettle anyone?