House Price Crash Forum

Suggestions Please?

muggle

HOLA441

Ok, I am about to be evicted from the home I have been renting by my landlord (one of many he owns locally) because he wants to sell up and retire on the proceeds.

I was given first refusal to buy the house, but I turned his offer down when I realised he was asking SIX times my annual salary. That makes it the most expensive two bedroom house in my home town.

Funnily enough he has not had any offers to buy the house, so has a surveyor coming round this week to re-value the house.

I will have to take time off work to let this person in.

Now bearing in mind the RICS have been influential in ramping up property prices, my question to you all is what would you ask or say to the surveyor if you were in a similar position?

Please do not hold back, I am really sick of the situation I have been forced into.

A whole generation has been denied a stake in society because of the greed of the generation before them! :angry:

HOLA442
HOLA443
Ok, I am about to be evicted from the home I have been renting by my landlord (one of many he owns locally) because he wants to sell up and retire on the proceeds.

I was given first refusal to buy the house, but I turned his offer down when I realised he was asking SIX times my annual salary. That makes it the most expensive two bedroom house in my home town.

Funnily enough he has not had any offers to buy the house, so has a surveyor coming round this week to re-value the house.

Now bearing in mind the RICS have been influential in ramping up property prices, my question to you all is what would you ask or say to the surveyor if you were in a similar position?

Please do not hold back, I am really sick of the situation I have been forced into.

A whole generation has been denied a stake in society because of the greed of the generation before them! :angry:

Wipe a damp cloth around the walls and ceilings in a few key areas and point out the "damp"

HOLA444

Are you paying your rent in sexual favours?

If not why the hell are you taking a day off work to let in a surveyer?

On another note why does your landlord need a surveyor to revalue the house?

He has it on the market at X. There is no interest so unless it is being very badly

marketed he needs to reduce the price until it sells this will be the value of his house.

The only reason he wants a surveyor round is so that he can be reassured that his

house is definately "worth" X or very close to it. This will make him feel better which

is what he wants but will not help him sell the house which is what he needs.

I suggest you give the guy an embaressingly low offer i'm talking 60% of asking price

(you are going to be moving out anyway you have nothing to loose) but you will pay

rent until the deal completes so he won't have any void months to find cash for.

any way).

Thats if you like the place and want to buy and could afford Xx0.6 if the IR went up.

ST

HOLA445
HOLA446

you have no obligation to let anyone in. given that he will be kicking you out anyway he doesnt really have anything over you, its not like he can threaten to kick you out lol!

As peeps said above, make an offer that suits you. Look at how much you can afford to pay back each month and then see what kind of mortgage that could support. Dont get caught up in the multipliers thing. 3.5 times is meaningless if 10% of your salery is going to a student loan, 10% to a car loan, 10% to Sky, etc. Conversly I bought at 5x and was able to overpay by 50% each month.

Or maybe you like the flexible life and buying just isnt for you. In which case move asap.

HOLA447

I should have pointed out that I have found another place, but will need a reference. AST agreements require you to show people round once notice has been given. (So no sexual favours were offered, by either party!)

Do not get me started on the injustice of AST contracts!!! By the way I know a lot of older people who are very happy to rent because they have security of tenure, something has been denied to my generation, along with home ownership.

I originally made my landlord an offer of 80% of the asking price which I thought was pretty generous. I know he has had at least one other offer because his agent tried to play us against each other, but it would appear the landlord is going to hold out for the full amount.

Anyway, any thoughts on what I could say to the representative of the RICS?

HOLA448

The AST can ask you to allow access but there is absolutely no way you have to take time out of work for this.

On your other point the Surveyor is there on the Landlords behalf and is being paid by him.

I would be very careful before saying anything which might be taken the wrong way if reported back to LL.

I would use it as an interesting fact finding mission, ask the guy about prices for the area and how his job

will change now that the market is turning downwards (use the assumptive that it is). Offer him a cup of

tea and he will probably want to chat about it.

As you say you made a fair offer, and now have somewhere else. Apart from to stop being bent over

and lubed up to be your LLs doorman what else is there to say. ;)

The reference thing is horsesh1t used by LL to scare you, questions they ask; did he pay on time,

did he keep the place tidy? Not, did he take a day off work to open doors for you.

All the best.

ST

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest tbatst2000
The reference thing is horsesh1t used by LL to scare you.

Quite, and the data protection act gives you the right to see it meaning that, should they lie about you, it would be an easy thing to cause them all sorts of inconvenience. Also, in fact, it's easy enough to avoid them being asked to begin with - tell your new LL you're currently living with your parents or something and all they can then ask for then is a bank reference and something from your employer.

HOLA4412
I should have pointed out that I have found another place, but will need a reference. AST agreements require you to show people round once notice has been given. (So no sexual favours were offered, by either party!)

Yes, but you shouldn't have to take a day off!!!

I second ST's advice and also the advice about the damp cloth and the darts.

Quite, and the data protection act gives you the right to see it meaning that, should they lie about you, it would be an easy thing to cause them all sorts of inconvenience. Also, in fact, it's easy enough to avoid them being asked to begin with - tell your new LL you're currently living with your parents or something and all they can then ask for then is a bank reference and something from your employer.

Do you mean the Freedom of Information Act?

Also, your bit in bold is great advice!

HOLA4413

Agghh I've just figured what your avator is.

Edit: To be honest, I would be polite and probably point out to the agent that you would buy it if you could afford it. But then point out your offer was more than I could afford, and in hindsight it is too expensive with rising living costs, poor pay rises, rising interest rates etc.

Basically paint a mental picture, and hope for them to join the dots.

Edited by Jason