House Price Crash Forum

E. A. 'driven To Suicide' By Poor Market

HOLA441
HOLA442

Very sad indeed but how many Ex-FTB’s and BLT’s will turn this way in the coming years. This problem is not going to go away, like the chaos on our roads today, government policy is costing many lives. have you seen all the flower along the A127.

How many live could be saved in our hospitals if the government stopped spend it all on lawyers and the like. :angry:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
SEEMS STRANGE... and sad.

There are other jobs.

Lot's of people will feel "let down" by the market.

This is an extreme reaction, which suggests something deeper was at work

I recall an EA who killed himself a couple of years ago because he was under investigation for encouragung FTBs to self-cert on hugely inflated fictional salaries.

You and I are traders and we take it personally when markets bite. I've been hit in the past by -30% profit warnings, drip-drip whipsawing, week after week. It takes a strong constitution, but I don't consider myself exceptional on that front. If I was trading for clients and the common perception was of general market malaise, I think it would just wash over me. Like you say: something deeper at work.

HOLA446
dont put a smily face on this, you fool

Certainly no smileys for the poor EA and his family. Hardly his particular fault.

In fact, there is little to be smiling about either way. If the bubble inflates even more the tragedies will increase in the aftermath of its bursting. Horrific debt is a scourge and brings with it much unhappiness and depression.

http://www.thisisawar.com/DebtsDepression.htm

The survey found that 49.3% of people with problem debt can be classified as depressed, of those 39.7% report symptoms of severe depression. In comparison, studies have shown that 9.5% of the general population is clinically depressed.

BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3041324.stm

When (not if) the bubble bursts it will bankrupt thousands of people, not just BTLs ( ;) ) and perhaps take a generation to recover. Debt is a terrible thing and should never be underestimated. It kills.

House prices are a matter of opinion, whereas debt is real. Merv King, Boe, 2004

HOLA447
Estate agent 'driven to suicide' by poor market  :(

Really? All I see is a lot of idle speculation and absolutely no substance in this piece. No mention of why he really killed himself at all - other than the conclusions people are willing to jump too - especially when it makes an attractively provocative headline for a newspaper. No mention of his family life - apart from the standard 'he was such a lovely man' by his wife; she's hardly going to say he was a complete *******, is she? Or actually drop herself in it - as she may have been the cause of his suicide in the first place. Let's face it, you'd be a fool to believe this as it's printed.

<RANT MODE ON>

And 'news' [sic] papers. Remember them? The journals that have been telling you for the last few years that you'd be a fool to stay out of property... And now the markets gone a bit quiet, they jump on any story that will seek to reenforce the new 'negative' thinking - er, like an EA who some people 'think' just 'might' have killed himself over a 'slowing' housing market. ********. How many stories have you seen over the last few years showing poor husbands/wives commiting suicide as they can't afford a place to live? Or feed/clothe their kids as all their money has gone paying off an outrageous mortgage on shoebox-sized dwelling they can't really afford? None, I guess - it just didn't make good headlines in the 'boom' days.

If this guy really did kill himself over a 'slowing' housing market - unlikely - then I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. My business has been through two HUGE market crashes over the last 17 years, but I didn't see that as an excuse to top myself. Even when things have been really, really good for me, I've always known that bad times were bound to come sooner or later: that's business. And that's why you prepare for the bad days, by not spending like an idiot, and preparing for the future when the times won't be so good. ...Unlike most of the fools in this country who spend like there's no tomorrow, pilling up credit that they expect the rest of us to finance by purchasing their overpriced piles of bricks and mortar.

Is HPC going to become the 'bleeding heart' for all of those who can't face the economic realities of life? Are we going to get this sort of stupid outpouring for every BTL, EA, overstreached FTB who goes down the pan from now on? God, I hope not.

Anyway, I don't think this guy killed himself over just a 'slowing' housing market. There was probably a 'real' - and quite sad - story behind his demise. But I guess we'll never get to know that story, as it's isn't provocative enough.

<RANT MODE OFF>

Nomadd

HOLA448
HOLA449
Really? All I see is a lot of idle speculation and absolutely no substance in this piece. No mention of why he really killed himself at all - other than the conclusions people are willing to jump too - especially when it makes an attractively provocative headline for a newspaper. No mention of his family life - apart from the standard 'he was such a lovely man' by his wife; she's hardly going to say he was a complete *******, is she? Or actually drop herself in it - as she may have been the cause of his suicide in the first place. Let's face it, you'd be a fool to believe this as it's printed.

<RANT MODE ON>

And 'news' [sic] papers. Remember them? The journals that have been telling you for the last few years that you'd be a fool to stay out of property... And now the markets gone a bit quiet, they jump on any story that will seek to reenforce the new 'negative' thinking - er, like an EA who some people 'think' just 'might' have killed himself over a 'slowing' housing market. ********. How many stories have you seen over the last few years showing poor husbands/wives commiting suicide as they can't afford a place to live? Or feed/clothe their kids as all their money has gone paying off an outrageous mortgage on shoebox-sized dwelling they can't really afford? None, I guess - it just didn't make good headlines in the 'boom' days.

If this guy really did kill himself over a 'slowing' housing market - unlikely - then I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. My business has been through two HUGE market crashes over the last 17 years, but I didn't see that as an excuse to top myself. Even when things have been really, really good for me, I've always known that bad times were bound to come sooner or later: that's business. And that's why you prepare for the bad days, by not spending like an idiot, and preparing for the future when the times won't be so good. ...Unlike most of the fools in this country who spend like there's no tomorrow, pilling up credit that they expect the rest of us to finance by purchasing their overpriced piles of bricks and mortar.

Is HPC going to become the 'bleeding heart' for all of those who can't face the economic realities of life? Are we going to get this sort of stupid outpouring for every BTL, EA, overstreached FTB who goes down the pan from now on? God, I hope not.

Anyway, I don't think this guy killed himself over just a 'slowing' housing market. There was probably a 'real' - and quite sad - story behind his demise. But I guess we'll never get to know that story, as it's isn't provocative enough.

<RANT MODE OFF>

Nomadd

Yes, a lot of truth in what you say. Most people are weak and succumb to their own folly which sends them into a deep depression. The entrepreneurs can withstand ups and downs but the public as a whole cannot.

This time around their expectations have been built up too high. The goverment and VIs have promised blue skies forever and nothing worse than a flat market before the easy money gravy trains picks up momentum again in a few months time. When the blue skies turn into storm clouds the public do not understand because they bought into a new paradigm that debt is the same as an assett--something to borrow against and live happily with all the material things they always wanted. Just charge it to Homebank & family-- not "PLC" because liability will be their own and it will not be limited.

Merv King said it best when he uttered those immortal words back in the summer of 2004:

House prices are a matter of opinion, whereas debt is real.

HOLA4410
For somebody to take their own life, they must either be clinically depressed or else feel it is the only option.

I think that posting the link to the article is enough. I don't think that it should be a point for discussion.

And why not? It's the same tenth-rate journalism (print and TV) that's driven the housing market for the last few years. The whole point of this site was supposed to be a counter to that, wasn't it? Are you suddenly going to go all chicken just because someone has taken their life? That wasn't what *I* was debating anyway - it's the context in which it was reported: OMG, Another Sad Property Story. Get used to it, the media are on a roll. And all we need is HPC to turn chicken and prevent people from debating such biased trash, that truely will be the end. :P

Nomadd

HOLA4411

Nomadd,

What you forget is that Diana was the people's princess, a wonderful mother and an arc angel and I will miss the way those scumbag tabloids gave meaning to my empty life by bringing me every minicscule detail of her decadent life. ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Nomadd,

What you forget is that Diana was the people's princess, a wonderful mother and an arc angel and I will miss the way those scumbag tabloids gave meaning to my empty life by bringing me every minicscule detail of her decadent life.  ;)

Yes, and just look what that caring UK public did to her 'memorial'. Kids pissing in it, people sliding down it, tramps washing their socks in it... Had to be closed down for a while, and our loving press, true to form, had a story they couldn't resist: HOW CAN THEY DO THIS TO OUR DIANIA'S MEMORY!!!!!! Up until some twit breaks their leg in it, then its: THIS MONUMENT IS UNSAFE: THE COUNCIL MUST BE SUED!!!!!

Jeez - I'm starting to rant as much as Monkey. :D

Nomadd

HOLA4415
Do any of us know why he committed suicide  Please stop this stupid speculation

It probably has more to do with the powerful symbolism that this sad story projects than any desire to speculate. Having made the news, the ironic tragedy represents the entire HPI that was once filled with so much greedy hope and confidence. Then the whole irrationaly exuberant train comes to a sudden halt as symbolized by the sudden and tragic death of an involuntary representative pressed into service to make the point.

HOLA4416
Do any of us know why he committed suicide  Please stop this stupid speculation

Did you actually bother to read any of this thread and the link that went with it? Your post just seems to be 'stupid speculation' - you know, like the press report that kicked the whole thread off.

It's the 'stupid speculation' that we are debating - the fact that not one of us knows why he did it. Still, the press seem sure. Me, I'd love to hear the full - unbiased - tale, as there could be lessons in it for all of us. The real shame is we'll never get to know, as that doesn't sell newspapers. :(

Nomadd

Ps. That's NOT a smiley, before the other idiot poster chips in. Open your eyes man.

HOLA4417
Did you actually bother to read any of this thread and the link that went with it? Your post just seems to be 'stupid speculation' - you know, like the press report that kicked the whole thread off.

It's the 'stupid speculation' that we are debating - the fact that not one of us knows why he did it. Still, the press seem sure. Me, I'd love to hear the full - unbiased - tale, as there could be lessons in it for all of us. The real shame is we'll never get to know, as that doesn't sell newspapers.  :(

Nomadd

Ps. That's NOT a smiley, before the other idiot poster chips in. Open your eyes man.

Again, its the symbolism that has captured the attention here. Much like the "unknown" soldier who came to represent all of the fallen of that war. Here, the unfortunate EA seems to have become the symbol of all EAs that are likely to fall (not to their deaths in all cases of course) as the HPC takes it toll.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Sorry, this may sound hard but I have no sympathy for EA'S at all, they don't give a damn about anyoone but themsleves (i feel sorry for his family of course).

i have been spoken to like i am dirt by many EA'S, they have talked house prices up without a care for anyone , they are grubby dirty little creatures and i detest them!!

I remember one EA said to me only back in the spring "YOU MUST FEEL LIKE A BIT OF A LOSER" When I said I could not afford to buy a home. i nearly punched him in the face!!!

NO SYMPATHY HERE I AM AFRAID , AS I KNOW THEY WOULD HAVE NONE FOR ME!

HOLA4421
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Sorry, this may sound hard but I have no sympathy for EA'S at all, they don't give a damn about anyoone but themsleves (i feel sorry for his family of course).

NO SYMPATHY HERE I AM AFRAID , AS I KNOW THEY WOULD HAVE NONE FOR ME!

Are you saying he got what he deserved. :(

Though shalt not take anger to the grave.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Are you saying he got what he deserved.  :(

Though shalt not take anger to the grave.

Yes i am. Imagine the headline could have been different.

"first time buyer driven to suicide, over high houseprices"

How many EA'S wld have turned the page of their NEWSPAPER and laughed on reading this.

As i said NO SYMPATHY HERE!!

HOLA4424

That's a very interesting link. It's a shame the stats pages only go back 10 years. I would really have liked to have seen the rates from, say, 1985 onwards. I wonder if the last housing market crash - and the debt crunch that followed - had a direct coorelation to the figures? It seems so from the sections that are present, but more data from a few more prior years would have helped.

This might be a very interesting link to keep a watch on over the next few years as the current housing boom unwinds...

Nomadd

HOLA4425